Nike hrm[triax Heart Rate Monitor

2.29/5 (28 Reviews)

· Graphic display accuracy · Ergonomic transmitter · Durable wrist unit · 2 programmable training zones

Submitted by lisa kandola a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2009

Strengths:    design, ease of use, value

Weaknesses:    the buttons are crap

Bottom Line:
This is my 3rd Triax C5. The first one I had, the button stopped working, so I sent it back to Nike and they "fixed it". It was good for a while, then the button fell off. So I sent it back, and received a new one. That button also fell off. Again, received a new one, was good for a few years....and this morning the button fell off again. I'm so annoyed right now. This watch/HRM sucks.

Favorite Trail:   Canada

Purchased At:   running room

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from St. Louis Park, MN

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2006

Strengths:    Simple, durable, large & clear display, backlight, works with Polar hrms, great value for the C5.

Weaknesses:    Water resistance. I can't race a full triathlon with it. It won't work. The first time I got it wet, it went on the fritz for a few days. I let it dry out for a few days, and it works fine again.

You get funky readings when the battery is low. The chest strap battery lasted over a year for me.

Bottom Line:
You'll get more with the C5 than any other hrm in the same price range. The C5 is pretty bare bones, however--You get a readout and a workout average, and that's about it.

It works with Polar HRMs on treadmills, etc.

Dont plan on going swimming with it on--it won't recieve signals. I think the battery plate on the watch wasn't tightened well enough at the factory. After I opened it up the first time to air it out, I haven't had problems with it in water after replacing it myself--even when swimming long distances.

Favorite Trail:   Maah Daah Hey

Purchased At:   Bokoo

Bike Setup:   GF sugar 293

Submitted by Cory Swanson a Cross Country Rider from Logan, UT, U.S.

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2005

Strengths:    Great design, All the functions that I wanted.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
This is my first heart monitor. I was looking at the Polar S120, but when I compared it to the Nike Triax C6, the choice was pretty easy. It looks better than the polar and it had the functions that I wanted. But the main selling point to me was the ease when changing batteries. Polar recommends sending it to the factory, while with the Nike anyone can do it. It's easy to scroll through the menu's while riding. I have used it for a month now and have no complaints.

Purchased At:   Al's Sporting Goods

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper Pro 120

Submitted by dan a Weekend Warrior from So Cal

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2004

Strengths:    It was free as part of a training package from CTS (which is very good, by the way)

Weaknesses:    Chest monitor gets wet and corodes from sweating; while biking; very hard to use bottons; easily resets from contact with riding gloves; backlight, once activated, will only last for ~2 seconds; large and cumbersome. MSRP is $159... wow!!!!

Bottom Line:
It was free so I should not complain but for those who are lookig to buy a HRM, do NOT waste your money with the one. Not reliable, not robust, not practical.

Purchased At:   Carmichael Training Systems

Similar Products Used:   1st one ever

Bike Setup:   MTN - Tracer, old XTR, Speed Dream wheels, Romic shock
RD - Specialized Roubaix (for training & commuting only)

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from SG/CA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2004

Strengths:    The watch is more user friendly than a Polar version. I really just want to know my heartrate so I can train in my target Zone...

The Nike also feels better to use than the polar.

Weaknesses:    I know a lot of ppl are complaining about the chest monitor but I've got an insight..... the Nike HRM also works with Polar Chest Monitors... Yep I use a Nike Triax 15 HRM with a Polar Monitor 'T61-Coded'... so much for coded ehh!! It guess it should work with the non-coded monitors Polar Monitors too!

Nike HRM picks up signals from other Electronic devices at Random. It thinks my iBook is a chest monitor with a BMP anywhere from 60~121... LOL

Bottom Line:
Now you can have your cake and eat it too!!! Despite all the bad stuff I am hearing on Nike HRM, they really are pretty decent as far as Basic HRMs go. Sure, Polars are still the best but costs at least 2x the price! Just buy a Nike HRM and a Polar Monitor tada....

Similar Products Used:   Polar S410~T61-Coded Monitor

Submitted by tjoba a Cross Country Rider from Norway

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2004

Strengths:    HRM Triax 15: Good looks, big display, lap function and timer functions

Weaknesses:    Crappy transmitter strap design, it's definitely not water resistant in the long run.

User manual, it doesn't even tell you that there is a feature for average heart rate.

Bottom Line:
If the strap had worked like it should have, I would definitely have given a high rating. The HRM has some features (lap/timer functions) that you only get on the more expensive Polar models.

During the 8 months the strap worked, it needed the battery changed several times, the last time only a month apart.
When I was going to change the battery yet again, the battery compartment was humid. When I took it back to the shop, it could not be fixed and I could not get a new strap on the warranty since I had changed the battery myself, they claimed I hadn't locked the battery lid properly even though I'm sure I did. After reading all the reviews on this site, I'm even more sure it's the poor water resistance design that eventually "killed" it and not misuse.

As the watch was still working and I didn't have the money to splash out on a nice Polar, I bought a Polar T31 uncoded strap. It works fine with the Triax 15 watch.

When the watch eventually dies, I'll definitely buy another brand. No more Nike electronic equipment for me!

Similar Products Used:   Polar M21

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2003

Strengths:    The looks, good backlight and the watch itself is pretty durable.

Weaknesses:    Chest transmitor has poor battery life and has now completely died on me 13 months after purchase. i was using the watch nearly every day for running or rowing and had to change the battery at least 4 times (i have lost count). the range and reception is useless apart from with the new battery. genuinely accurate readings seemed to be only about 80% of the time.

Bottom Line:
i wish i had read the views here before i bought. friends of mine who use polars never complain. they might be ugly but they work. i haven't looked into getting the monitor fixed yet as i finally realised from reading this board that it is finished... i bet it will be lengthy and expensive. i might try to but another chest strap from a more reliable make separately but i don't know if they are compatible.

Purchased At:   Sports shop

Bike Setup:   specialized hardrock comp

Submitted by AL from Vancouver, BC, CAN

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2003

Strengths:    Looks good, great functions for runners for interval training etc.

Weaknesses:    Broke down in 4 months. Still trying to get Nike to fix it and its now been 2 months and they didn't fix it the first time. Strap is uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it. If your looking for a heart rate monitor, stick to reliable companies like Polar even though they are a bit more expensive.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Other Nike running watches

Submitted by george goodall a Weekend Warrior from London Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I agree with the other reviews: the watch is okay, the strap really sucks. After about five months, my strap stopped working. I removed the cover and found water vapour inside the unit that seemed to be causing the problems of extreme values and freeze-up described in the other reviews. I did, however, find a fix... although it voided my warranty. I figured the problem was caused from both water vapour and precipitated salts shorting out the strap circuitry. To remove the vapour and salts, I opened the case, removed the battery, flushed the battery compartment several times with iso-propyl alcohol to remove the salts, dried the strap in the oven (set at 150F) for about an hour, replaced the battery and the cover, and resealed the case by dripping hot candle wax over the battery cover to from a new seal. The fix is ugly but it works. My strap is as good--if not as aesthetically pleasing--as new. If anybody is having similar problems and they're off warranty, you want to give this method a try.

Submitted by Burak Begen a Racer from Akron, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2003

Strengths:    It looks cool

Weaknesses:    Transmitter is a crap. Ir worked well for 6 months then It started to say I have either a heart beat of 165 or 115. Or it stops at 140 for 15 minutes. I changed the batteries, no change. The buttons are very hard, sometimes doesnt bother to work at all. I should feel lucky if you hear the out of zone alarm. I dont trust NIKE anymore after this watch. They are not selling products, they are selling their name.

Bottom Line:
Be careful about all the electronics you buy from Nike. They are not what you expected. They sell the Brand Name, no good products.

Purchased At:   Sports Shop

Similar Products Used:   Unfortunately, this was my first heart rate monitor. Next time I will make a deep research before buying and no more Nike products.

Submitted by Clint a Weekend Warrior from AL

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2003

Strengths:    Looks cool, nice graphs, 100 lap memory is great!

Weaknesses:    Piece of crap! It's supposed to be water resistant and was for the first 2 years. I never replaced the battery or opened the back case...took it to the beach and the salt water killed it within 5 mins!

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it! Nike isnt good for watches. I learned the hard way! This unit breaks AFTER the warranty expires!

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain

Purchased At:   forgot

Bike Setup:   n/a

Submitted by Dexter Tiangco from Manila, Philippines

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2003

Strengths:    Lots of features. Got it for a fraction of a price of a polar base model.

Weaknesses:    The transmitter is crap!!! I had the transmitter replaced after it conked out after 8 months. The replacement i got just gave up as well after around 7-8 months. All this despite taking good care of the transmitter. Polar still has the best quality. Now most of the features of my watch are useless!

The out-of-training zone alarm is too weak.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy this product! You'll regret it after a year or so.

Submitted by Adam Jenkins a Racer from Fargo

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2003

Strengths:    GOOD

Weaknesses:    Heartbeat sstuff hard to get

Bottom Line:
Good watch

Favorite Trail:   Clitirous mountain