Heart Rate Monitors Nashbar NA-HRM Heart Rate Monitor

3.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Nashbar NA-HRM

Submitted by Rotorboy from Kansas

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2001

Strengths:    Low investment dollars, Handlbar mount

Weaknesses:    It has no longevity,Poor quality,and its bulky

Bottom Line:
The thing is great for letting you know what you want in a real HRM. If it had worked longer it would have be my only one ,because it didn't seem I would get that much more for the money, but.....
It acted like the battery had gone dead so I replaced the batt. properly and the screen remained blank except for the backlighting feature. So now I have two batteries, and I'll have to purchase a new HRM.
Not a good value unless you want a wrist nightlight.
So one flamin' for value.
two flamin' for overall because it did work nice for awhile

Favorite Trail:   Camp Horizon

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Submitted by Jon Doh from Anywhere

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap and the transmitter works with my older Polar Accurex II - Doesn't start beeping wildly when I am going balistic trying to pass another roadie that I have been racing to catch up to.

Weaknesses:    After 6 months the LCD displays crapped out. I thought it just needed a new battery but a new battery did not help. Also, the strap broke while trying to get the bezel off to replace the battery. Cheap

Bottom Line:
The transmitter is still going strong and allows me to change batteries to extend the use of my Polar. I guess that's why I really bought it anyway so its crapping out isn't that bad. Still, I am a bit dissapointed that the LCD's flaked out like they did. It was nice not having that beeping when I slipped above my target ratings.

Favorite Trail:   Somewhere between N and S poles

Purchased At:   Nahsbar

Similar Products Used:   Accurex II

Bike Setup:   70's Falcon, 98 PowerWing, P-38 Lightning.

Submitted by William Peabody a Cross Country Rider from Richmond

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2000

Strengths:    price - it is cheap, handle bar mount is weee done, chest strap works just fine.

Weaknesses:    all the functions stopped working after 3 months except the actual heart rate indication.

Bottom Line:
When first using the unit it required the addition of a liquid between the chest strap and the skin as used for affixing medical probes to the skin. This was in cold weather and the sweat was not enough to allow the unit to pick up the signal. This is not a big problem after you get the liquid but it is not commonly available in my area. During the summer there is no problem in this area. All the functions worked for about 3 months with usage about 2 times per week. After this they all stopped except for the continuous reading of the heart rate.
It is worth the cost just to have the heart rate only but you should know this at the front if you plan to buy one. Who can say the more expensive ones would not do even worse?? The heart rate is the really important item and I can say I am satisfied with the purchase so long as this feature continues to work.

Similar Products Used:   none used prior to this one

Bike Setup:   Specialized FRS xc Comp 2000 year model

Submitted by The Old Crank a weekend warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: July 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Nashbar NA-HRM costs only $56.00, yet it has as many features as most of us need: dual display, pulse, target zone, memory of time in target zone, stop watch, and clock. It is water proof and has a light, comes with a handlebar mount, and you can change the batteries yourself. I use it for cycling and running. It is super easy to use, so you don't fumble with buttons when you're maxed out. Why pay more?