Ciclosport CP 23 Heart Rate Monitor

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by Roadie Rider a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2006

Strengths:    Looks cooler than any other HRM out there. Since it doesn't work as an HRM, I'll just be wearing it as a sport watch...

Weaknesses:    Completely unreliable - it constantly loses the HR signal. I'd start my ride, check my HR, and 5 minutes later, look down to see it had turned off, as if I had walked out of range. This wasn't a "high interference area" issue. I don't live under high tension wires. The signal dropping happened all the time, in both urban and rural environments.

Bottom Line:
Run, don't walk, away from this one. My unit was completely useless. Because I got it online from the UK, I didn't bother with the hassle of shipping it back and forth to see if there was a fix. Ciclosport is not widely distributed in the Seattle area. Interestingly, the latest Bicycling Magazine review said they liked the unit, but "the transmitter had a finicky moment", so they didn't recommend it. Well, if you buy this one, be prepared for a ton of "finicky moments."

Purchased At:   OutdoorGB.com

Similar Products Used:   Timex, Polar

Bike Setup:   Carbon fiber road bike, Dura-ace.

Submitted by XTOFER a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2005

Strengths:    simple to use

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I bought this as an entry into HRM's and I'm surprised how much I depend on it now, I don't do any type of activity without it now.
It is easy to use once you get the hang of the functions. I talked to plenty of people before I purchased it and some of these people had high end HRM's with functions that they didn't even know how to use. This is simple, functional and about a hundred dollars less than the Polar.

Purchased At:   singletrack cycle