CatEye CC-HB100 Heart Rate Monitor

3.64/5 (42 Reviews)

The HB100 offers a full-function cycle computer and heart rate monitor in one easy-to-use design. Features such as Current Heart Rate, Average Heart Rate, and Upper and Lower Limit signals provide some of the best heart rate training information available. Included with the owner's manual is a section on basic heart rate training. This information can be used for everything from helping you to win the local bicycle race to riding to lose weight.

Submitted by Kenneth Smith a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    Has great display, easy to read for a 62 y/o (somewhat Myopic) man. Has all of the necessary parameters and none of the stuff that's that is only needed by a Cat.1 racer. The instructions are clear and concise, easy to use. Great price (with all of it's features).

Weaknesses:    The adjustment on the fork sensor is critical. I wrapped electrical tape around the fork to enable me to tighten the sensor more securely, as the rubber wraps are somewhat difficult to install,especially for an old man.

Bottom Line:
I was an avid cyclist, 150-200 miles/week. Approximately two (3) years ago I suffered a heart attack that really slowed me down. I was told nothing could fixed. A year later they were able to place a stent and I now feel able to start riding again. I needed a reliable speed/heart monitor. In the typical CATEYE tradition this is a quality unit at a reasonable price. I have owned a CATEYE CS-1000 trainer for nearly 20 years and they replaced a computer for free after 15 years. I can personally attest to their QUALITY CUSTOMER SERVICE. If ever I am searching for an accessory I will search the CATEYE database first. Another victory for CATEYE.

Purchased At:   High Desert Bikes

Similar Products Used:   I have used 3 similar products in the past. Of all of them the VETTA was my favorite. Unfortunately they no longer make that unit.

Bike Setup:   It is installed on a Bianchi Eros. It is presently mounted on a set of PROFILE aerobars.

Submitted by Sandy S a Cross Country Rider from Bound Brook, NJ US

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2008

Strengths:    Calories. I don't care about cadence. I need to know how many calories I burn at each ride.
I've had this product forever. I love it.
Cateye

Weaknesses:    Wires, and sometimes is shorts out cuts to zero or doesn't seem to start, but we're talking about a 14 yrs old computer that has had it's sensors replaced once by cateye for free. I replace the batteries, but not as often as I shluld. I did today for this season. It should eliviate most of those issues.

Bottom Line:
I've had it a really long time and it still works.
I need to know how many calories I burn. I am woman, hear me roar.
I don't know any others quite like this. Most give cadence, but not calories. I prefer the latter.

Purchased At:   Gift in Illinois

Bike Setup:   Front wheel, handlebars.

Submitted by Peter Carr a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2005

Strengths:    Have used it on my road bike for 4 years. It has always worked just fine. Long battery life. Low cost (forget how much I paid but cheaper than alternatives I looked at).

Weaknesses:    None that I've discovered.

Bottom Line:
On my road bike, has always been worked just fine. Have no experience of anything else to compare it with. Am about to buy one for my mountain bike because I don't see anything else on the market with same facilities at same price.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez Comp road bike

Submitted by Barry Evans a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2003

Strengths:    all in one cycle computer + heart rate monitor
reliability(still using after 5 yrs)
It is a great entry level unit.Serious racer types may want more features.

Weaknesses:    has had a couple of new mounting bracket /sensor kits but at least you can buy parts easily.This is not really a weakness it is just life on a mountain bike.
High Tension overhead wires interfere.An understandable occurence.

Bottom Line:
Easy to use,wet or dry no problems.Reliable and parts available. Oh 2 screws on back of HRM transmitter went rusty.Not bad after 5 years.

Favorite Trail:   Worsleys Spur

Purchased At:   John Bull

Similar Products Used:   nil

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR 1998 with Raceface everything,HOPE discs and hubs,xt/xtr anything else.
Mongoose road bike

Submitted by Otto a Weekend Warrior from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2003

Strengths:    functionality/price

Weaknesses:    - clumsy if used as wrist HRM
- wheel mag sensitive to adjustment
- HRM monitor only works if you're really sweating
- wire based speedo

Bottom Line:
Had no major problems after more than 3 years riding in any condition. Battery efficiency suprisingly good.

Purchased At:   Swiss Store

Bike Setup:   Team Marin, Duke SL, etc

Submitted by Robin a Racer from Halifax

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2003

Strengths:    Low Cost
Excellent display
Comfortable HR sensor

Weaknesses:    Wheel sensor cable is a bit flimsy.
After about 2 years, the contacts with the mount are intermittent in the tain.
Need to get good and sweaty for reliable HR monitoring.

Bottom Line:
Great product! I have been using this for several years now and apart from the wheel sensor kit wearing out, I have had no problems. I am buying a new mounting kit from CatEye for $10 and everything will be good as new.

I did have a spell where I thought the chest sensor was broken, did the battery replacement thing etc, etc... But in the end I found that it is just fine. Two things mess this HR monitor up:
1. EMI, I will loose my HR readings when riding under certain powerlines, and past highpower AM transmitters.
2. The chest sensor MUST be damp, preferably very sweaty to work well. If you aren't working hard enough to sweat, you probably don't need the HR monitor anyway! ;)

I highly recommend this product.

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Giant CFR-2, Shimano (105,600,DuraAce)

Submitted by Roger Partington a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2001

Strengths:    Integrates HRM and CC into one unit. less stuff on bars and good value. Good features and functionality. Fairly easy to read

Weaknesses:    HRM crapped out after 2 weeks and then the replacement after 3 months. Warranty support in Canada was poor. Sticks up too high on handlebar

Bottom Line:
Stay away. The HRM doesn't last and the warranty support is poor. Also the reset buttons sometimes stick down.

Favorite Trail:   Pavement- rolling hills

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Micro, Vectra and older cateye models

Bike Setup:   Merlin Extralight, Kyseriums, Dura-Ace

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2001

Strengths:    Works continuously and effectively. 10m resolution on distance (see your progress!). Legible figures. See the very first review for features.

Weaknesses:    Big buttons are separated by a thin plastic ridge. It's way too easy to press both at once with a single finger & reset the trip info. Cateye, please put 10mm in between!

Bottom Line:
Cheap, effective, full-featured.
Buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Gatineau Park, Quebec

Purchased At:   Mountain Equipment Coop

Similar Products Used:   various cyclometers; first heart+cyclometer

Bike Setup:   Easy.

Submitted by Sean a Racer from Tejas

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    This thing is a piece of junk

Bottom Line:
This thing is a piece of junk. The HRM part quit working after three months, so I replaced the batteries in both units. It still didn't work, sO I warrantied it. @ months later... Same story. This is my third one and it has crapped out on me as well. An inexpensive piece of equipment is wno bargain if it doesn't work. Spend the extra money on a Polar!

Submitted by kristo a Weekend Warrior from Belgium

Date Reviewed: September 14, 1999

Strengths:
Price
Possibility's

Weaknesses:
Absolutely useless when it rains!
The push buttons really sucks (they simply don't work anymore after riding in the rain)
I've just crashed in a dark tunnel in Austria,Krimml Waterfalls and everything was ok except the wire is broken!

Bottom Line:
It seems this computer whith cheap price and great possibility's is only made for INDOOR racing.
The push buttons aren't working!! in the rain, and this seems a real PROBLEM with CATEYE computers (my friend has another model, with the same bad results. NEVER CATEYE again

Waals Brabant

1 Year

some 10 dollar computers are much better than this one.(but without heart rate poss.)

Submitted by Willy a Racer from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: July 15, 1999

Strengths:
Everything in one unit

Weaknesses:
Sticks up a little high

Bottom Line:
Yeah this thing sticks up a little but I use riser bars and they protect the unit. Cateye has one major problem, they are a PIA to install on bikes. I've installed 3 now and you think I'd learn, but NOOO. Anyway the thing works great and it's nice to only have to worry about one thing stuck to the handle bars. Lots of features I really don't care about but better too many than not enough.

Wasatch, Crest-UT Cottonwood Canyon-LV, NV

less than 1 month

SI HRM & Cateye Computer

Submitted by John Mc a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1999

Strengths:
Mainly the cheap price and, like other Cateye products, simple to set up and reasonably simple to operate.

Weaknesses:
Big and bulky - sits up high on the bars and would be the first thing to kiss the dirt. Also the flimsy wire and sensor.

Bottom Line:
Bought from local bike shop after being shown this one and several Polar models - all of which were more expensive and most had more features than I needed for occasional training runs during the week and cross country fun at the weekend. The ability to change the chest belt batteries is a big advantage over the Polar units (having to send the whole thing away to change the battery was a big turn-off). This seems a pretty basic unit. It works like its supposed to etc. etc. HOWEVER after 6 months I got sick of worrying about smashing the thing every time I dropped the bike and took it off and put my Cateye Enduro back on. Its cheap, compact and has a sturdy wire.

6 months

Diamondback Vertec Comp SE. SR Suntour MG80.

Submitted by Dave a Downhiller from Japan

Date Reviewed: March 30, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap! around $50 here in Japan on sale. Very reliable. Big readable display.

Weaknesses:
HR functions are limited.
Resets too easily.

Bottom Line:
I use this unit in training on a cycling road here in Tokyo. I've used it on a daily basis and it has performed very well for me. This is the second unit for me as the first one went on the blink and acted sporatically even with a battery change after about 2 years. I have not had the trouble with the powerlines that others have mentioned with the second model. I did notice that the first unit started to be affected by powerlines close to the time it finally died. Initially I had trouble getting a reading with the HR and found that in addition to putting some water between the skin and sensor, I needed to shave a strip of hair from my chest so that the chest sensor would make good contact. After that no problems. I would like to see some improvements in the HR functions like a beeper for low and high ranges in HR. Maybe even average time spent within the HR zone the user defines. Although not quit as fancy as a similarly equipped Polar unit, it's SEVEN times cheaper!!!

Iwatake

2 Years

Different seperated heart moniters and Vetta cyclocomputers

Fisher hardtail

Submitted by Phil a cross-country rider from Germantown, Tennessee

Date Reviewed: March 12, 1999

Bottom Line:

I love the design and functions of this unit since it incorporates the standard cyclocomputer functions plus HRM. I purchased the unit a year ago and use it on my road bike (about 1500 miles). The computer-functions all work great and I haven't had the problem zeroing out the display as some of the other reviewers have (Tip: Use your left hand, not your right!!!!). With respect to the HRM, the transmitter belt failed shortly after purchase and Cateye sent me a new one under warranty within 2 weeks of its return. 8 months later, the belt appears to have failed again. It's in the mail to Cateye for another try. My rating: Design and features - 5 chilis, HRM 3 chilis (since my experience with the transmitter belts has been poor). Average is:

Submitted by Abe from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 10, 1999

Bottom Line:

Commuter :I have used it for over 6 months now on a daily basis. No probs so far...The monitor goes to zero when passing under some power lines - But I can cope with that.I have fat fingers, but have never had probs with reseting the unit. (Never done it by accident) It is the best unit (for a bike) that I have had till now.It is just as accurate as my Polar Edge monitor.Five Farshtunkener chillis...