Acumen Basix Plus Heart Rate Monitor

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

Acumen Basix Plus

Submitted by Linda Lee from Sacramento, CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2007

Strengths:    available in small sizes for women, easy to set zones, replaceable battery,fitness index, calories burned

Weaknesses:    poor reliability. I purchased this product because of the replaceable batteries. However, the batteries seem to outlast the HRM. I am getting my second replacement in 8 months. Fitness index and calories burned are not useful, lacks an average/max/min heart rate which are much more useful.

Bottom Line:
Beginner HRM, good price but unreliable

Purchased At:   That's Healthy

Similar Products Used:   own 2 other HRMs. Acumen is the worse in reliability.

Bike Setup:   I use the HRM on the "spin" bikes at the gym. I listen to music and use each song as an interval. Since my HRMs are all basic models, I use two of them. One monitors heart rate zones and the other (mounted on the handlebar) tells me my instantaneous max, min, and average heart rates. The HRMs have been valuable in keeping my workout productive. My workout on the gym bike emphasizes heart rate, not how much resistance I can ride with. So this setup works great because I can optimize the resistance and speed to boost my heart rate.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Lakeville,MN,USA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2006

Strengths:    -Hasn't lost signal yet.
-Time in/under/over target heart rate zone.
-Multi-color backlighting.
-Fitness index function (how "fit" am I?).
-User replacable batteries!!!
-Calories used (although I don't use this function and don't believe in the accuracy of this on any machine).
-Simple operation.
-Water resistant.
-Reasonable price.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
This review is for a newer version-the "Eon" Basix Plus.

This is my first heart rate monitor.
I bought this one because of stated strengths.
I have only use it a few times so far while on my stationary bike and weight training (february sucks), but it works.

After reading so many reviews of various heart rate monitors, I was worried that it would be difficult to find one that works well. So far, this one works with no problems.

Having a heart rate monitor is a big help. Now I have a way to quantify (more or less) how much I am exerting myself, and another way to guage my progress.

It's also useful while weight training to help me keep from resting too long (or short?) by watching my heart rate.

Excellent product.

By the way, shopping for heart rate monitors at the store sucks. It seems like all they have is Polar, and you have to ask someone to go get one for you, and of couse no one is around anyway. Am I right, or what?

Favorite Trail:   Terrace Oaks

Purchased At:   heartratemonitorsusa.com

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   2003 Kona Kahuna Deluxe

Submitted by Timothy Serback a Racer from Greencastle, IN

Date Reviewed: December 15, 1999

Strengths:
It has always worked for me. Replaced battery in transmitter once and that's all the maitenance I've done. I love it and and it has features that other HRMs have that cost $135+.
I got mine for $90.

Weaknesses:
Doesn't tell you your peak HR or lowest HR.

Bottom Line:
If under $100 definetely get it

1 Year

Submitted by Shane a Weekend Warrior from Louisiana

Date Reviewed: May 19, 1999

Strengths:
Price and function. I got mine at www.wellquest.com for $103.

Weaknesses:
None I know of. Time will tell.

Bottom Line:
$100 cheaper than a comparable Polar. You can replace the batteries. Never loses the beat. Easy to read, back lit. Has lots of good functions. Buy one.

Clear Springs, MS