Home | Reviews | GPS | Garmin

Garmin GPSII GPS

Garmin GPSII

Submitted by Jim Turner a Cross Country Rider from Dallas

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2004

Strengths:    More data than you can ever need.

Weaknesses:    More data than you can ever need.

Bottom Line:
This thing is great. I have had it for 5 years and it always comes in handy. You always know where you are and there is no getting lost.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Snow Vermont expert loop/Flume Trail Tahoe

Purchased At:   BassPro

Bike Setup:   Klein Adroit Pro/XTR/Carbon/King/Mavic
Klein Attitude XV XTR/Carbon/King/Mavic/Raceface

Submitted by Stuart a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Strengths:    Have a Garmin GPSIII+, which allows you to upload more detailed maps to it. It has been great for finding new trails, or when don't have a clue where in the bush you left your car!
I get over 12 hours battery life with 1600mh Nickel metal Hydride rechargables.
Backlite in a very cool green glow! Handles mud and rain fine.....
And you techie mates think that sticking a gps on a mountain bike is really cool! Everyone else thinks you are nuts...

Weaknesses:    You can't make your own maps that I am aware of.

Bottom Line:
I have had my GPS for a year - I got it as a toy, and to take with me on a 1 week ride interstate on my motorbike (Suzuki GSX-R600), through the Snowy Mountains in Australia. It was much easier to use a gps than maps when I was trying to figure out where I was and where I going to. Tells me current speed, odometer, altitude, distance to things, sunrise / sunset times, top speed etc.... And the time, from the satilites!
It has been on 2 trips to europe (once with me, once my dad borrowed it), and many adventures around where I live, and performed without a hitch. The unit is tough, and nearly flew into the Thames River in London as I did a handbrake turn on a bridge outside Westminister and flew out the window of our rental car!!! Doh!

Using the MapSource software makes making routes and waypoints for your trip a breeze, and also the review of your logs. The Garmin maps for the cities in Australia are not very detail, but it is better for users in the US and Europe.

I got the handlebar mount for the unit, and it claps on solid. The unit is great to play with while riding along, but just make sure you don't crash into a tree or car while you are playing :-)

I have waypoints set up in my GPS for places like my home, girlfriend and friends places, the start and end of trails, etc... so if I am heading off streets, tracks, trails etc I don't know, I always have my bearings on where the nearest place I can get a beer is!!!

I think a gps on a bike is very useful - don't know why I haven't seen anyone else use one! A top gadget :-)

Purchased At:   Wade Air (Some Aviation Guys in Orange, NSW)

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX LE, 2 wheels, and a gps!

Submitted by Stuij a cross-country rider from France

Date Reviewed: January 21, 1999

Bottom Line:

Initially my GPS2+ had to go back to the dealer in the UK where it was replaced and send home with updated software 2.11 in order to solve the problem of shutting off ( all free of charge ).
The shutting off had nothing to do with the batteries as with external power it would shut off too. I am am glad to say it now only happens because of flat batteries.
Mounted in the car and on the bike it proves to be a valuable tool providing lost and easy traveling.
I have linked it to different software packages to plot routes and waypoints.
Not very happy with results. The one I use most is Gartrip as it offer plotting without additional required software.
Nothing fancy, and no ways of using own scanned maps.
any suggestions on this one ?I was able to have it record 980 KM/H on board our DHL Airbus so not restricted to 140 as mentioned in the manual.2+: nothing over-done, practical in use, and all the features available for a small black and white display

Submitted by Celeste a cross-country rider from S Walton

Date Reviewed: February 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

My husband and I have been using the Garmin II GPS to map our local trails and forest roads. We also have experienced loss of signal while under trees. Every once in awhile we get weird readings the unit will show that we have duobled back or made a loop when we are sure that we haven't. Last month we purchases the attachment to download our tracks and waypoints into the computer. Lots of drawbacks with this thing. First, it runs in Dos, then when you download, it downloads all stored information not just the latest (unless there is something I haven'd figured out. And something that if I would have known before I bought the attachment I would have left it on the shelf is that your can not print the tracks or any graphic data unless you have windows 3.1 It will not print if you have windows 95. Even though this is somewhat negative I still like and use both the Garmin GPS and the attachment (better than not having any idea where you are).
P.S.Anyone interested in working on trail in S Walton County FL e-mail me

Submitted by Mitchel a cross-country rider from TX

Date Reviewed: February 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had the GPS3 for about a week and have had no problems with it. It tracks your position very well. I haven't had any problems with it turning off, like the other person has rptd. Coverage has been perfect, unless your in the house, and then only about 70% of the time. I've used it to map 3 of my local trails, and it does a great job of that. It's nice to see how the trail relates to itself (ie, how close some of the trail is to itself). It calculates your speed/max speed/distance very well (at least compared to my cateye cordless computer). When experimenting with it in the car, it calculates your position and speed very well. the gps3 has roads and rivers included. I don't know how much this really helps, if your using it for mtn biking, but a nice bonus anyway. I'll give it a five for accuracy, and a 4 for complexity and ease of understanding and operating.

Submitted by Tommy Goggia a cross-country rider from Maui, Hawaii

Date Reviewed: January 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

Garmin’s GPS II satellite receiver might keep you from getting lost on those long backwoods treks,
then again, it may not.
This easy to use battery hungry receiver suffers from one major flaw. Aside from
not working well under trees, hit a bump and the unit shuts off.
It stays on during slow single track ascents but once the you hit some fast bumpy sections, off it
goes. I've given up turning it back on during some rides.
This happened to a previous sample that I returned for the same problem. I’m aware of others who
experienced this also. The problem is that the
batteries don’t fit well inside, they’re too loose. Duracells shut off all the time, Energizers less so. A
way to
fix this problem is to attach a strip of tape to each of the batteries. The unit should should stay on
now, at least for most of the time. Rating without the tape fix, 1. With the fix, 3.