Home | Reviews | GPS | Garmin

Garmin Edge 205 GPS

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Rugged, lightweight Edge 205 attaches easily to the stem or handlebars of your bike with the included bike mount. Just turn it on, acquire GPS satellites and go. Edge automatically measures your speed, distance, time, calories burned and altitude, and records this data for your review.

Submitted by wardray a Racer from Edgewood, WA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2010

Strengths:    Many. Satellite acquisition is fast, works well in trees. Battery life is still around 12 hrs after three years, and countless mid-cycle charges. Industry leading workout programs and motionbased.com / garminconnect.com. Can use on three separate bikes.

Bottom Line:
I've had my 305 for around 3yrs. Came with the HR monitor. Bought separate candance kits for two of three bikes I use it on. I already knew the rugged reliability of Garmins from old Mtn. Rescue days. Rain, cold, shock, whatever Garmin's keep working.
I use the Garmin Training Software (comes with it) to create workouts and send them to the unit. You can be extremely specific and create time or distance at specified HR or cadence or rest periods. This is very useful when doing intervals wether hill repeats, sprints, low cadance grinds, etc.
Download rides on to GarminConnect.com and analyze improvements trends or spot weaknesses. Shows routes on a mapquest style map or satellite image. Also give you all the data on Grade, Speed up hill, downhill, HeartRate, weather, cadence, all your averages, time uphills, downhills, flats, on and on.
No problems with crud in the buttons? (they're sealed) and the battery life is much better than it should be after three years. I commute 3 days a week, ride on weekends, race, etc. Hundreds of cycles and still getting 12hrs. +/- per charge.
This is MUCH more than a HR monitor or bike computer. Combined with the FREE training software and FREE websites, it is the best training tool you will ever use.
If you train regularly I would highly recommend this. The 705 is the next level up, color screen, ant+, base maps. They're all spendy but you wont wear them out. Pricey gadget if you only use it a couple of times a year or just track your weekend rides. Go to GarminConnect.com and take the tour to see all that you can do with this little puppy.

Favorite Trail:   Skookum Flats

Purchased At:   Dont remember

Similar Products Used:   Several GPS. Garmins #1, Magellin #2. Climbed for Mountain Rescue for 5+ years. Garmins have the best antenas and features. Hands down the most reliable when you have to rely on them.

Submitted by fdawg a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2008

Strengths:    Cool factor, motovational tool, accurate, fun.

Weaknesses:    Mounts using zip ties. It looks a little cheesie, but easy to mount, which is nice if you have multiple bikes. Just buy a bag of zip ties. Also not crazy about the color of the face plate. I think a neautral black would be nicer to look at.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this to any tech geek or anyone else that wants to add a little fun to those long monotonous rides. It is as accurate as my cateye, it has numerous screens with tons of information which can be viewed while riding or downloaded and analyzed afterwards. At $250 its a bit overpriced, but if you can find one on ebay or Amazon, get it. Every bike should have one!

Favorite Trail:   Chutes

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cateye.

Bike Setup:   2008 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper w/ Crossmax and Specialized Captain tires.

Submitted by steve l a Weekend Warrior from South Africa

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2008

Strengths:    It finds the satelites easily and remains locked on no matter what, under trees and through forests. The versatility of the selectable display layout is excellent. The downloading of data is effortless and the software gives great info.

Weaknesses:    The battery life is really poor. At best a 7 hour ride. I guess that this is really a product for the roadies because once it gets in thye rain and the mud starts flying about the mud and rain jamb the top mounted buttons making it impossible to depress them. And the mud doesn't come out easily, so for the next couple of rides the unit has to be treaeted tough to get it to work.

Bottom Line:
great product; Garmin have to look at improving battery life nad to make it an all weather unit.

Favorite Trail:   Tokai