Trico Sports Sports Iron Case Extras

3.9/5 (10 Reviews)

Trico Sports Iron Case

Submitted by Jesse.L.Voss a Weekend Warrior from Beirut, Lebanon

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2010

Strengths:    Bombproof - Plastic won't crack or bust - straps and buckles are tough - works for almost any bike imaginable - can be dropped and slammed and bike will live on w/o damage. Can be Shipped by itself - or taken as luggage. And it has wheels - you can even use it as a cart for your other luggage in a pinch.

Weaknesses:    The strap handle isn't designed for pulling the case behind you - the case will bang against your legs. You can push the case and this isn't an issue - OR you can put the strap over the handle of a carry on w/ wheels and problem solved. The up-side of the strap design is that it too is indestructible. Don't buy it if your bike is over 60cm - if you're not sure - find a friend and try your bike first. Also - you will need to be comfortable w/ some minor assembly/disassembly issues (Dérailleur, handlebar, stem, seat). This isn't a weakness for me - but for some it could be.

Bottom Line:
It doesn't matter whether it's my top end Carbon Road racing machine - or my indestructible '80's era steel Bianchi - I know that when I get where I'm going - I'm going to be riding the same bike I put in the box. No worries. And if you need to take more - the Trico will "telescope" about 1.25 inches and still remain bombproof. I don't know of another bike case that can do that. I'm buying a new Iron Case this year- not to replace the 12 year old one - but because I'm going to be traveling with two bikes. The trico is expensive - but not when you divide the cost by 12.

Favorite Trail:   Slick-Rock, Utah: Going to the Sun, Glacier, Mt; Beirut-Tripoli-Beirut

Purchased At:   Wheel and Sprocket,

Similar Products Used:   Cardboard boxes, Tri-All, soft bags (Fast Trains in Europe require soft bags for carry ons)

Bike Setup:   Full Carbon Road Race Bike, Full Suspension XC Race Bike, Classic Steel Road & Steel frame MTB setup w/ slicks for touring.

Submitted by Cucucachu a Weekend Warrior from South Florida

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2007

Strengths:    Indistructable! Fits my Turner Spot without a problem. Will even fit a downhill bike with room to spare for tools, hydration pak and other things. Has handles and wheels in all the right places.

Weaknesses:    Wish it had pockets and pouches for the small stuff. Wish the advertised size was about 0.5 inches thinner (FedEx charges another $X amount for the current thickness).

Bottom Line:
This case is great for its intended purpose. The case is 30plus and the bike is around 30 lbs so with stuff it totals 65-80 lbs. On Southwest and Frontier Airlines it costs $50 Fee. On Continental, American, and others it costs $100 because it is over size and over weight according to their measurments.
Several times, I've sent the bike ahead, on FedEx, before I fly. Then assemble it on the other end.
Hint: work out a deal with a bike shop on the other end. For a few dollars they may be willing to unpack and assemble the bike for you. So, on arrival its ready to go. I've even talked the shop into storing the case for me until I return to ship it home. Some shops can be real cool like that, if you plan to buy something from them.

5 Chili (Value Rating) because it protects your bike as advertized
4 Chili (Overall Rating) would like to see pockets and pouches.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Rent from LBS any time I want

Similar Products Used:   Would like to try the DaKine Bike Bag

Bike Setup:   5 SPOT with your average ALL MOUNTAIN stuff installed.

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Alaska

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2007

Strengths:    Protects bike well. Wheels on case make it easy to move around in airport. Simple design. Nothing that can break on this, that I can see.

Weaknesses:    Price. This box does require an extra 50.00 at the airport to check in.

Bottom Line:
I packed a large 5 spot and was able to get it all in with minimal disassembly. I did have to deflate the front shock to keep from removing the fork. Besides that, just the usual, wheels, pedals, seat post. I would buy this product again, but do believe that it would be more reasonably priced at 150.00.

Purchased At:   store

Similar Products Used:   Cardboard.

Submitted by Doug Gangi a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2007

Strengths:    Two-piece design, 7 straps hold the case secure, thick foam, built-in wheels, relatively light (empty)

Weaknesses:    Handle is a strap, which is fatiguing on the hands. However, I found that this design actually works wonders when strapped over the handle of another roller bag.

Bottom Line:
This is a great case. I've already taken both my road bike and my mountain bike on 4 trips and the bike has come through unscathed on each trip. The case is very sturdy, easy to pack, holds a lot of stuff, and the 7 straps really do keep things secure.

I can see how people with larger bikes may have trouble getting them to fit, but a friend of mine has the same case and rides a large frame -- he just has to remove more than I do to fit the bike in the case.

When packing up the bike, you do have to squish everything down to close it up. At first I felt uneasy about doing this as I thought I was squashing something important on the bike. But this fear is unrealized. I just wish the instructions said something about this.

A few tips for packing:

1) Road bikes fit well if you turn the fork sideways (90 degrees to the right) and then loosen/flip the bars so the drop slide underneath the top tube. Once flipped under, tighten the bars down again. This prevents them from wiggling in the stem, causing gouge marks.

2) To protect the derailleur, do 2 things: (a) put the bike into the highest gear, which pushes the derailleur in as far as possible, and (2) use a bungee cord to hook the bottom of the derailleur cage to somewhere on the crankset (this will stretch the derailleur cage all the way against the chainstay, where it is best protected)

3) Put the rear wheel on the second layer of foam first, cassette side down. Make sure that the cassette is lined up with a "hole" somewhere in your first layer (frame/fork). This allows the wheel to sink as far into the foam as possible without risk of crushing something.

All in all I think this is a great case. The webbed strap is hard on the hands, but if you loop it over the handle of another roll-a-board bag and tow it, you can tote the Trico case around the airport without any discomfort.

Favorite Trail:   Any one I am riding on

Purchased At:   Used (friend)

Similar Products Used:   None (cardboard box)

Bike Setup:   Fuji Professional road bike; Giant NRS; Titus Motolite

Submitted by The Dog a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, B.C.

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2006

Strengths:    Foam protection, anchor straps

Weaknesses:    Won't fit large bike, handle sucks, hard to pull without bashing backs of legs.

Bottom Line:
Stick with cardboard or try something different. Had to remove front forks to fit correctly without distorting case. Hope you don't have a long run to airport from car rental counter.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   cardboard

Bike Setup:   05 Santa Cruz Blur

Submitted by James Campbell a Downhiller from Auburn, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2006

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    price, quality, wont fit my bike

Bottom Line:
this thing is a peice of crap. i had t o completley disassemble my bike for it to fit. and they say that it will fit virtually any bike with minimal disassembly. im sure that it will work for a smaller bike, but for mine, it dont work.

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Bike Setup:   2006 prophet 1000, medium frame (19 inches)

Submitted by Leo a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2000

Strengths:    Easy to pack, all the gear fits, stand on end or side, good side handles

Bottom Line:
Easy to pack and no goofy strap arrangements like the Performance models. The rest of my gear fits in as well. The side handles make it easy to carry when you're not rolling it. Watch out for the new Performance Case: my typical hardtail didn't fit.

Similar Products Used:   Performance Cargo Case, new and old

Bike Setup:   Airborne hardtail

Submitted by Dave a Cross-Country Rider from Parker, Colorado

Date Reviewed: October 27, 1999

Strengths:
Keeps your bike safe on trips.

Weaknesses:
Cost

Bottom Line:
Works good keeps your bike nice and tight between layers of thick foam padding. Tough outer casing.
Would give 5 flamers but pretty expensive. I think this case should only cost around $200 instead of $300, so I give it only 4 flamers.

Deer Creek Canyon

3 months

'99 Kona Kula w/ full XTR

Submitted by Cohiba (the kamikaze dude) a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: October 26, 1999

Strengths:
Great robust hard plastic casing that can take abuse. Has heaps of space to stash additional tools and bike gear inside. Internal padding is quite good, but I supplement it with old towels and rags in some places.

Weaknesses:
Rubber knob for support of the case whilst standing got ripped off during air-transport. Lock fasteners not the best, but better than with some other bike cases I've seen. The case is also damn heavy on its own!! Be prepared to pay excess baggage with some airlines. The nylon strap used to pull the case can cut into your hands, since the entire weight of the bike is practically felt there. Placement of wheels could also be on the long side - makes for easier movement.

Bottom Line:
Overall a great case for use when travelling, and definetly one of the best ones out there. The case is practically bombproof for air-transport, and should last you a long time. I really recommend this case, despite the price when compared to other alternatives which may seem more lucrative. But a travel case is definetly worth the investment, and it gives you piece of mind. You know your bike is well protected with a Trico Case. The only thing that is a hassle is the weight of the case - which, together with the bike, already goes way over the baggage weight limit (and that doesn't count your personal luggage!). Some airlines also charge for the bike handling fee, but I've found that if you say it is normal baggage and not a bike, then you can sometimes get around this extra fee. One good thing with the case is that you can pack it in a sandwitch style... first the layer of foam, then the bike, put in the tools and accessories you want, and any other stuff, then another layer of foam, put in the wheels, and then the last layer of foam. Voila, you close the case, and tighten the straps and you're done! I've used the case more than three times in around the world trip and have encountered no problems with damage to the bike or whats inside the case. A great investment. Go get one if you travel a lot with your bike, or if your bike is important to you.

Bukit Timah Nature Reserve

2 Years

Simple bike box, and soft bike bag.

GT STS-1000DS w/ Marzocchi Jr. T.

Submitted by Kathy a Cross-Country Rider from New England

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1999

Strengths:
Sturdy, good packing foam. Made break-down and set-up of my bike go more quickly than when I use cardboard bike boxes.

Weaknesses:
Web handle hurt my hand when rolling the case long distances. My lock on the bottom end got destroyed (I confess it was not an expensive lock)

Bottom Line:
Rented one of these from my lbs last time I flew with my mtb. Pros: I did not have to wrap as much padding around my frame because of the foam slabs that come with the case, so I was able to pack and unpack my bike faster than when I use cardboard boxes. I was also able to stash a spare tire and a bunch of tools (in a bag) in the box. It is sturdy and my bike arrived without a scratch. Nothing in the box shifted during transport. The seven wide straps and buckles keep stuff from getting out. Doesn't melt when wet like cardboard. The airline took it as a check through without an extra fee in one direction (not both - rats!) The cons: the wheels are on one end, and the strap is on the other, so the weight of the bike is on your hand when you are wheeling it through the airport. I had to put on one of my bike gloves to keep it from cutting off the circulation to a couple of my fingers. I wish the wheel where on the long edge, and the handle on top so it could be rolled with its weight on the wheels. The tabs provided for locks are a bit lame and would not stop a moderately determined thief. Bottom line: I'll rent one again next time I travel.

40 MPH

tested or demo'ed only

Ye old cardboard box from the lbs

Fisher hardtail w/ WB SC70UL, LX/XT

Trico Sports Iron Case...a good investment for air travel?

I'm considering purchasing a couple of these cases for my wife and I, our first trip with them will be to Vegas and St. George this March. I read/heard the case itself gets high marks by owners for construction, durability, protectiveness, etc. And with its large dimensions it seems like one of th ... Read More »