Home | Reviews | Extras | Trek

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Trek Suspension H20 Pack

Submitted by Maxwell a Cross Country Rider from Portage, IN USA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2001

Strengths:    The pack stays off your back, which makes it very cool and airy. It holds a LOT of stuff, and has good strong zippers. It doesn'y shift around like some other packs when it's full of water & tools.

Weaknesses:    My internal divider in the outside bag ripped out, but that's okay. It's black...this might contribute to warming the water inside, hm? Black waterbottles=bad idea unless it's winter time. People see you wearing a backpack, and they ask you to carry their stuff too. That isn't the pack's fault, but it still stinks!

Bottom Line:
This thing is great for l-o-o-o-n-g trips, because you can carry tons of stuff. However, I found myself carrying it even on short trips, because it's cool (it stays off your back), and lightweight. The problem is your friends asking you to "carry my keys, dude" or "can you hold this tool?" or even, "Hey, look at these cool rocks, can you carry them home for me?" If you carry them, you're the new pack mule, if you don't you're a jerk. Go figure. This bag is good for hiking, biking, running, and boating. The ultimate outdoor fun day-pack. Buy one, or one like it, and ditch the back-sweats!

Favorite Trail:   Roads, singletrack, anyplace

Purchased At:   Bike shop where I worked....Can't really remember the price.

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak's old-school halfbak.

Bike Setup:   Doesn't matter.

Submitted by andy a weekend warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: March 6, 1999

Bottom Line:

Great pack, I wanted to get a pack that wouldn't touch my sweaty back in the summer - this fits the bill - haven't even used it for water as when I'm thirsty I just stop for a swift pint. Useful pockets, comfortable straps.Joe Bob says check it out:)

Submitted by BobC a weekend warrior

Date Reviewed: October 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

Update to the product review. Well.. over a year now and going. I have come to truly appreciate this pack. I can carry the same amount of stuff like the hawg and have spare space to boot. I am very happy during the summer as I don't get as hot due to the suspended back. I was surprised this product never caught on. The revision to this should be external bungie cords to tie things down. Unfortunately, I believe this product being only available from an LBS, made its popularity low.Still a good pack and even better than some of the current new ones out there.

Submitted by Bob C a weekend warrior from RI

Date Reviewed: April 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

Originally started with a camel back but after two years, I always
disliked the heat generated during the summer while in winter heat
was o.k. The Trek/Gary Fisher Suspension H20 pack uses a cross
beam type setup like a tent so that the pack does not touch your back.
No overheating during the summer at all. Winter was surprisingly
o.k. too. Due to lots of room inside, the bladder moves to one edge
or the other. Another seperate pocket available to store things and
two outer zip pockets too. Nice wide foamy straps. A little
on the expensive side without a bladder but much better than any
addition to a camelback that is available.