Topeak Deluxe Trunk Bag Extras

Topeak Deluxe Trunk Bag

Submitted by Simon a Cross Country Rider from Canberra Australia

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2001

Strengths:    ease of use.

Weaknesses:    QR Beam rack swings around even when tight as. This is a part of it's ability to come off quickly and easily, so not really a complaint.

Bottom Line:
My partner and I have one bike each. These bikes have to function as daily work commuters, cross country racers, overnight camping transport and occasional find-a-trail-and-roar-down-it bikes. We both wanted a simple rack and bag setup for the work commute. Panniers were out for me due to the disc brakes (I could've mucked around and made something, but couldn't be bothered). My partner ended up buying a QR rack and the deluxe bag. I was so impressed I bought a QR Beam rack and a smaller bag (She needs more room than me).

Since getting them we have used them practically daily. They have been stuffed so full it took two of us to get the zips done up. We did a overnight trip away where we took everything except tent and sleeping bag, in the two bags. They've been used for daily shopping trips (Mine is the perfect size for a six pack of beer!), and carried over the shoulder on the straps as 'handbags'.

They work well. The biggest bonus is the ease of attachment / release. I recently arrived at work at the same time as a friend with panniers. I lent my bike against the wall, and CLICK, I was done. He was most impressed. In my bikes case, I strip it down for mtbo races, and can take the Beam rack off in about 30 sec.

If you want a small robust bag for commuting etc, that is quck and easy to attach, I recommend these highly.

Similar Products Used:   back packs etc

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX870, Shimano XT discs, Judy XC front, titec bars, LX gearset.

Submitted by Doug a Weekend Warrior from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2000

Strengths:    The quick release designed for their rack is very handy and works very good. It has four compartments, plus a water bottle pouch. The main compartment is fully padded/insulated and expandable. The top comparment works good for storing tools,pump,tube. Side pockets are good for smaller things. Overall this is a very versatile bag. When when traveling, it is very easy to remove.

Weaknesses:    Would like a little bigger side pockets.

Bottom Line:
The bag works great with the ToPeak Bike rack and I would buy it again. My buddy is saving up for one too.

Favorite Trail:   The next new one

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   1999 XCR 4000 - GT I-Drive

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Ft Myers, FL

Date Reviewed: November 27, 1999

Strengths:
has a quick release designed for their rack. the rack is also QR so if you dont need the extra weight, it's easy to shed. 4 compartments plus a water bottle pouch. main compartment is fully padded/insulated and expandable.

Weaknesses:
hard to find the damn rack it mounts to. but it does have velcro straps that work on a standard rack.

Bottom Line:
you can get the bag and rack combo online but you may end up with the old style rack (straight bar) which Topeak says doesn't support as much weight. the new style has an angled weld. it also has the advantage of removable pannier supports, unlike the Delta PostPorter. As far as the bag goes, it's great,i'd recommend to anyone. It's built like Jandd gear, taped seams, heavy duty denier, textured handle, etc.

less than 1 month