T.H.E. moto fender Extras

T.H.E. moto fender

Submitted by Pat a Downhiller from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2006

Strengths:    -Looks good
-Keeps mud out of your eyes
-Price

Weaknesses:    -The mounting bracket doesn't work on Marzocchi freeride forks

Bottom Line:
This is a good fender. The only complaint I have is that I had to make a custom mounting bracket for it because of the crown on my marzocchi drop-off fork.

Favorite Trail:   Jimi Legs

Bike Setup:   06 Kona Stuff w/ ODI grips, WTB saddle, Axiom flat pedals.

Submitted by Trevor Gersen a Weekend Warrior from Washington

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2006

Strengths:    Great holds up and is very flexible so it doesnt break. Me and my freind have them and love them. Great product

Weaknesses:    rattles a little but a star nut fixes all of that.

Bottom Line:
Thsi product is great it comes in many colors but if you get the clear and dont spray paint it then it will turn like a dingy clear because the mud will stain it. Also take the extra $1.99 and buy a star nut so it satays tight it is worth it. BUY THIS

Favorite Trail:   big jump

Purchased At:   fat tire farm

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi integrated fender

Bike Setup:   RM, flow fs

Submitted by Chris a Downhiller from Palo Alto, California, USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2004

Strengths:    Keeps the mud, rocks and debris out of your face and off your downtube, looks cool and is very strong.

Weaknesses:    twists side to side fairly easy, and it is kinda thin.

Bottom Line:
This is the best fender you will find. Not only does it look cool, but it keeps the debris of your bike and out of your face. It is thin but very strong. What more can I say, I give it 5 flaming chilis overall

Purchased At:   Universalcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   mud machine and mrp front fenders

Bike Setup:   2001 big hit pro with boxxer, hayes HFX Mag hydrolic brakes, 26" Mag 30 front with hadley hub, 24" Mag 30 rear
with dt swiss hub, XTR DH cranks, Sram 9.0 Deraileur and trigger shifter.

Submitted by Paul from Newtown, CT USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2004

Strengths:    Quick to mount. THE replaced the old Star Nut with a rubber sleeve which mechanically mounts fast. Simply put the 4 bolts/nuts (Plastic -No more rust nor weight issue)and tighten main bolt which in turn will pull itself tighter into fork assembly. Stops all crap from hitting face. It does what is made to do.

Weaknesses:    None really.Installation instructions could be more detailed on insertion into fork assy,

Bottom Line:
Great deal for $19.00!

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Topiak

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Bullit. Big Hit shock, Fox Vanilla rear shock, Hayes Hydrolic brakes, Shimano XTR Group.

Submitted by ANT WEBB a Racer from ENGLAND

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2003

Strengths:    ITS FLIMSY BUT WHEN I CRASED IT DID NOT BREAK (WHEN I CRASHED I HAD 12 STICHES IN MY LEG AND 5 IN MY HEAD, AND SNAPED MY FRAME) BUT IT DID NOT BREAK!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    A BIT TO FLIMSY COULD BENIFIT FROM BEING STRONGER

Bottom Line:
ITS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD FOR BSX AND DOWNHILL BUT NOT CROSS COUNTRY

Favorite Trail:   THE LEMMING TRAIL

Similar Products Used:   CRUD FROUNT FENDER

Bike Setup:   BANSHEE FRAME

Submitted by Alan F Moore a Cross Country Rider from Ray City, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Strengths:    I have both frt & rr fenders & they do their job fairly well & look great!

Weaknesses:    The #1 weakness for me is the rear fender mounting bracket! After putting the rear fender on three different s-posts the weak, plastic-mount broke & i've had to "Rig-it!" Does T.H.E. moto fenders have a website?! Front fender wants to be squeaky! & will twist on you in crash...but, better that's than breaking & you can twist'em back!

Bottom Line:
The S-post bracket is a big weakness for me & you must be very careful in how much you tighten it!! or the screw will go right through it!! But, other than that & a little sqeak upfront, i really like'em!!

Favorite Trail:   Long Branch, Wh. Sprgs

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   20" Access, RaceFace crnk, avid mech's, Mavic 223&Panaracer's, SRAM 9.0SL shifters & rr dr, shimano xtr frt dr, shimano ti cass., thudbuster after thompson elite, etc.,

Submitted by Robert Reitzel a Cross Country Rider from Evanston, Wyoming, USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Strengths:    Everything, don't break in 20 degree weather

Weaknesses:    front could be just a little thicker.

Bottom Line:
the best because won't break in less you land right on it. don't put one Wal*Mart fall apart bike. It would hurt the THE Name. The best by far

Favorite Trail:   Madison Trail

Purchased At:   dirtworld.com the price is for both

Similar Products Used:   Can't remember

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Mesa with mavic x221 rims

Submitted by Marc from Oberlin, OH USA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2001

Strengths:    Keeps water, mud, and rocks off of you. Takes crashes well because it is so flexible. Very light weight. It does not get in the way of my front suspension fork.

Weaknesses:    The price is way too high. The bracket that holds it in place bends way too easily so if you crash you might wind up with the top part of the front fender out of line with the bottom part, but hey, just bend it back.

Bottom Line:
It does the job. I get alot of compliments on my bike because of the fenders (not that I care about stuff like that). I used to ride alot without fenders and as a result, got alot of mud on my backside and water on my face. So when I purchased my new bike in July I told the bike shop owner that I had to have fenders. He only carried T.H.E., so that is what I got.

I was not too happy with the price just like everyone else, and I thought that they were a bit too flimsy. But when I had a couple of major crashes (on one ride, I split my helmet in two when I endoed over the handle bars)and just about nothing happened to the fenders. I began to appreciate the fact that they are so flexible. I now think that the fact that they are so thin and soft are actually in their favor.

I think everyone should have fenders, why most mountain bikes are made without fenders makes no sense to me. Especially when you consider how muddy and wet mountain biking can be. However, even though I really like my fenders, they are too expensive. They should only retail for $15 to $25, rather than $35 to $40. Because of the price, I cannot strongly recommend this product even though I am pleased with it.

Favorite Trail:   French Creek in Sheffield Village, OH

Purchased At:   Dale's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   My big wide behind and my Kool-Aid smile face.

Bike Setup:   trek 4900, all stock.

Submitted by Adam the Great a Cross Country Rider from Vermont

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2001

Strengths:    keeps stuff out of your eyes, looks cool

Weaknesses:    impossible fork mounting, rattles

Bottom Line:
the t.h.e. is a cool fender, but my god, the, make it possible to put it on. i had to take it to the bike shop so the could grind the hell out of the block thing to make it fit in my fork. overall, its a good fender

Favorite Trail:   single track

Purchased At:   Price Point.com

Similar Products Used:   my face, back of shirt

Bike Setup:   '99 Gary Fisher Aquila

Submitted by David from Canastota NY USA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2001

Strengths:    Looks cool, keeps water, mud, dead animals off. Customer service.

Weaknesses:    Price.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up (foul up?) review. Apparently after reading my previous review, THE got in touch with me and informed me that there's been a revision to the bracket and mounting stud - lo and behold, there was a new bracket and stud in my mailbox two weeks later. The new bracket works as advertised - no more banging on the fork brace. The original star-fangled nut thingie was a good idea - IF you had the proper tool to install it, but the new setup is an expanding rubber sleeve. (I didn't try it since I fought and swore so much to get the nut IN, I wasn't about to try and get it OUT! The rubber mount might also help with the vibration issues some people are having).Three flamin' turds for value (it *IS* still pricey) Four for Functionality and Stylin' and five for customer service.

Favorite Trail:   yes

Bike Setup:   Two wheels, handlebar, seat

Submitted by Frank a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2001

Strengths:    Plastic is tough

Weaknesses:    Mounting bracket is weak and brittle. The bracket broke in less than 30 days, no crashes just vibration. Fender does rattle up and down quite a bit.

Bottom Line:
It was the crap response I got from THE when I asked for a replacement bracket "Send in the bracket and a check for 3.50 for the shipping and we will send you what ever you need." OK, I am supposed to send them the old one AND pay for shipping on a replacement?? totaling 1/2 what the fender cost in the first place? No thanks, I'll try a different manufacturer who stands behind their products.

Favorite Trail:   Soquel Demo Forest

Bike Setup:   FSR Enduro, Z-1, Race Face, Fox Shock

Submitted by Scotty a Downhiller from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2001

Strengths:    Flexible to absorb impacts, aluminum mount easily bent back into shape or fabricate a new one, looks cool, KEEPS YOUR EYES CLEAN

Weaknesses:    COST- it's just a coulple of hunks of PVC, a bent aluminum bracket, a rubber plug and some nuts/bolts. oh yeah, the patent.

Bottom Line:
It's the best at what it does. Sure it will break if you hit it hard enough but it is just a peice of plastic hanging of the front of a bike that IS going to crash. It's just the destructive nature of our obssesion. I found the installation a breeze.

Similar Products Used:   Shock board, great for xc & commuting but kept flying of the Stinky

Bike Setup:   '01 Stinky-D with some upgrades

Submitted by flagrant pete a Downhiller from ct

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Strengths:    kept mud from goin into my eyes

Weaknesses:    pile of crap, i understand that i should be gentle, but the first crack occured sliding my bike into the car, the plastic could b a tad thicker

Bottom Line:
DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS GARBAGE, I GOT LUCKY PAYIN ONLY 25 BUT DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   i duno

Bike Setup:   stumpjumper: judy race, next lp's, sun ringle platforms. Iron Horse: stratos ss8, 7.25 in the rear, sram shifters, ac guide

Submitted by Glenn Farnham a Weekend Warrior from Sodertalje, SWEDEN

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2001

Strengths:    -Looks good
-Does its job

Weaknesses:    -Couldn’t be any thinner
-Poor mounting bracket construction

Bottom Line:
I agree with others on this site about the flimsiness of the plastic. But to its defense might be mentioned that this could contribute to the fenders forgivingness on hits (instead of breaking off…) and that this also brings down the weight of these things. What I’m not to crazy about though is the mounting bracket needed to assemble this unit to your suspension fork. It doesn’t work out of the box! I have two different forks: a -99 Manitou SX Carbon and a -00 Rock Shox Judy Race, and two different THE Front Fenders bought one year apart. Neither of the two fenders fitted the forks. Both fenders mounting brackets were in the way of the fork brace and its travel. The fork braces simply hit the brackets long before the fork bottomed out. Solution: cut material from the brackets and weld them together again. C’mon Toby, I’m not on the payroll of your R&D department, I shouldn’t have to do this sh*t! At least get the construction right before you get these things to market, and if you don’t get it completely right at first, at least learn from error and improve… Other than this drawing board flaw, they are pretty cool and work well.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail that will allow me to ride it!

Purchased At:   Jenson