SpinSkins SpinSkins Extras

2.19/5 (16 Reviews)

SpinSkins

Submitted by daren7 a Cross Country Rider from St George, Utah

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2010

Strengths:    First of all, I don't know who these people are that post all the bad reviews or if they use talc like the manufacturer recommends, but these things are amazing!! I've trained for three years and ridden the Leadville 100 TWICE on the same ultralight MTB tires and Spinskins without a flat!! I've done two full-distance Ironman and three years training on my road set of Spinskins and they're amazing!! Don't rush, use generous talk and ride till you can see the Spinskin through the rubber of your tires and then replace the tires and repeat. AMAZING!

Weaknesses:    NONE unless you're impatient or struggle reading directions...

Bottom Line:
TAKE YOUR TIME!! Install them with lots of talk and ride your wheels off

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Mr Tuffys etc...

Bike Setup:   MTB: Giant Anthem 0, Road: BMC SLC-01

Submitted by Jakevc a Weekend Warrior from Oceanside, CA, U.S.

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2008

Strengths:    They do exactly what they are supposed to...keep your tubes puncture free.

Weaknesses:    Mucho Expensivo...

Bottom Line:
I am on my second set of these things. My first set lasted four years and did exactly what they were supposed to do...no flats! They did end up disintegrated on my third set of tires and had to be replaced. No flats for four years, not bad for fifty bucks. They work just as well as Mr. Tuffy's but are 1/3rd the weight. They are kind of expensive, but are well worth it if you consider how much riding time is wasted changing flat tires. If you are having issues with these things coming apart try putting a little talc power in with them to cut down on friction.

Purchased At:   Centerport Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mr. Tuffy's Tire Liners

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Home Grown, Giant Trance X2

Submitted by Thomas a Weekend Warrior from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2007

Strengths:    lightweight, doesn't affect flexibility of tire tread.

Weaknesses:    Dont last long and START TO CAUSE FLATS !!!! They get brittle and the threads start poking holes into the tube. Really small holes which are damn near impossible to see when fixing the tube on the side of the road. Even when you bring a spare tube and it gets poked with holes too. Oh yeah, they are really expensive too.

Bottom Line:
Dont buy them. If you are a racer maybe save them for your races and replace them every season. $$$$$$$$$

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   Mr. tuffy. They are heavier but soo far really good.

Bike Setup:   Old Bianchi racer.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2005

Strengths:    For the 2 year/3,200kms in 2001 it was recommended for it worked.

Weaknesses:    After 2 years the kevlar crumbled and caused 2 flats.

Bottom Line:
They cost me $30/CAN for a pair. They were fast and easy to install, center and get them to wrok properly. For the first two years, I only looked at my tires 1x/month to see if anything stuck in them or cut the tread. A little after two years and 3,200kms they fell apart fast, along the latitude and caused two flats within one week. The first flat I found in the afternoon after a night ride. The second one was while I was cycling. I was 1/2 way home and rode my bike at a painfully slow 5km/hr for 6kms. I then wrote the company a profanity filled email.
Bottom Line: The company claims there current version will last 5,000kms, needless to say I'll NOT give them a try.

Purchased At:   Price Point (2001)

Similar Products Used:   None to date.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk, 1996 GT Ricochet.

Submitted by Loretta a Racer from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2004

Strengths:    Have stopped everything that came in contact with the area covered. I have pulled out huge goatheads and even glass from the tires with no leaks.

Weaknesses:    Need to be wider to cover more area for side punctures. They are a little tricky to get exactly centered but I take my time.

Bottom Line:
I think they are very good other than the width could be a little wider to offer a larger area of coverage. I have used the same pair for over 5,000 miles and they now just look like they need replacing. They have saved me tons of flats and I highly recommend them. I may try to use the
mountain bike skins the next time since they are wider and hope all goes well.

Purchased At:   local bike store

Similar Products Used:   Some sort of thicker plastic liners that don't don't stop anything.

Bike Setup:   Marin road racing bike.

Submitted by Peter Pan a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2004

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    There are very few really bad bike products out there today and this is one of them. I got it as a present. Intsalled with great care, but: They are hard to install, disintegrate after a few weeks in the tires, oh and they don't prevent flats...wither go slime or proper mechinal barriers, don't buy this even if the mars vehicle was landed with the aid of a ballon made of this material

Bottom Line:
2 thumbs down, don't waste your money time and nerves

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Submitted by TR a Weekend Warrior from Overland Park, KS

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2003

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Wears holes in tubes.

Bottom Line:
I read the overwhelmingly negative reviews, and the one positive review from Eisme Kisme (nome de plume?). I should have gone with the majority opinion.

Friday I carefully installed a liner in the SP back wheel. Rode Saturday, no problem. Rode Sunday, flat back tire on trail. Installed spare tube *without* liner. Finished ride.

Tonight checked cause of flat. Found two slices in tube. No doubt caused by liner.

*Maybe* this liner would work if it could be installed *perfectly* centered in tire.

Bottom line -- junk. Worse than no liner!

Favorite Trail:   Mountain Goat

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Yes, some furry yellow liners by Panaracer from Performance.

Bike Setup:   1) Giant NRS
2) Supergo/Weyless SP

Submitted by Eisme Kisme a Racer from Clarkston, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Strengths:    They stop thorns, cactus, nails, glass...when installed and used as recommended.

Weaknesses:    People that don't read instruction and install them as the manufacturer recommends. Don't work well with wide-spaced knob tires or lower tire pressure.

Bottom Line:
I've been using Spinskin for 5-years now. After 6 thorn flats in the same day I was ready to pay the price ($40 for my first pair). I installed the liners exactly as the manufacturer recommended then tested them by purposefully riding several times through the thickest thorn patch (goat-heads) I could find (my wife thought I was nuts doing that). There were hundreds of them in the tires but no flat. That intitial pair went through three sets of tires before I retired them with no flats from punctures. I now run them in all my bikes since I live in goat-head hell. My tires wear out or spit from rock abuse and glass cuts before I get a flat. The only problem I have found is that widely spaced knob tires will indent the tire at every knob causing a crease in the Spinskin. The result is the Spinskin come out in pieces that equal the knob spacing. The other downfall is that the Spinskin will deteriorate faster if you use lower tire pressures. The manufacurer has a recommended pressure minimum which I usually run at or above. For me there no other choice since I like the incredible flat protection I get and the light weight compared to other products. I think they are worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   Any (long) single track

Purchased At:   Price Point (last), LBS other times

Similar Products Used:   Slime (heavy)

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback - Custom build, Old Proflex 975, Older Trek 990, plus a few more.

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO USA

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2002

Strengths:    None, well maybe it was a good idea.

Weaknesses:    They don't work!

Bottom Line:
I bought these to prevent flats from goathead thorns. These skins have a number of problems. First the thorns go right through the kevlar band. ( I've been told that the only reason bullet-proof vests work is because of the velocity of a bullet.thorns go in slowly and easily.} The kevlar band is only the width of the tread...when a tire is in contact with the ground it becomes wider than the tread so even if the kevlar band didn't let thorns through the thorns would penetrate the tube between the tread and the sidewall. The darn things just fall apart, first the backing falls apart then the kevlar band breaks up into many pieces. DON'T TRUST SPIN SKINS THEY DON"T WORK!

Favorite Trail:   T-Gap

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Bike Setup:   Fuji cross,and old 80's 21 speed.

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Palo Alto, CA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2001

Strengths:    Flat protection, not so heavy

Weaknesses:    None so far, though I am waiting for lightning to strike me given the reviews below

Bottom Line:
Either my Panaracer Stradius tires are flat proof, I have had amazing luck, or these things somehow do their job. Bottom line: over 1000 miles and no flats, that's nothing to sneeze at! Given the negative reviews I have considered pulling them out when I switch tires, but I am also wary of tinkering with success.

Purchased At:   Pedlar

Bike Setup:   Serotta Legend w/Dura Ace, Open Pro's

Submitted by Scott D a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn, NY

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2001

Strengths:    provided with a package of talc

Weaknesses:    design, price, durability, the list goes on...

Bottom Line:
I agree with every statement made by other riders below and feel it is my duty to warn every cyclist about this sad product.

The real problem is the cloth backing... the material might even be a fine cotton fiber. This is the layer that should provide protection between the kevlar liner and the tube. Once it deteriorates, the edge of the kevlar starts rubbing into the tube and *CAUSES FLATS*! By 300-400 miles, the cloth was severely frayed. By 600 miles it was completely disintegrating, leaving a distinct wear mark on the entire circumference of the tube.

This has to be one of the worst cycling products ever produced. Having no spinskin is better protection against flats.

Purchased At:   ebay auction

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Road

Submitted by Del Dickson from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2001

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Worthless yet expensive.

Bottom Line:
Spin skins just might be the biggest scam in cycling. In my sad experience with them they did not save me from any flats and they fall apart in less than two months. All that for only forty bucks; what a deal.

I went back to Mr. Tuffy-- heavy but effective at preventing flats.

Spin skins disprove the saying that you get what you pay for. In this case you pay a lot and get nothing. Easily the worst cycling product I have ever tried.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Mr. Tuffy

Bike Setup:   Serotta. Tires and tubes: Vredestein

Submitted by Chuck Anderson a Cross Country Rider from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Disintegrate within three months. Then they CAUSE flats.

Bottom Line:
Bought these after a rash of flats. I wanted protection without lots of weight. That was three months ago. A week ago I changed a flat rear tire. The fabric backing on the kelvar band had disintegrated leaving the kelar to rub directly on the tube. It was well on it's way to slicing the entire tube open when the first section failed. Had to trash the tube and the spin skin. Today I had a flat front, same story. These things are worse than nothing. Maybe, just maybe, use them for one race with a history of flats from thorns etc. But them get them out of your wheels ASAP after. These things need negative Chilis!!

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Mr. Tuffy

Bike Setup:   Jake the Snake used mostly for commuting

Submitted by Michael Roper a Racer from Baton Rouge,LA.

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2001

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Fall apart after only weeks of use,doesn't stop a damn thing from flatting you!!!!!

Bottom Line:
Thought these things were working great for the first few weeks untill my first flat. Upon dismounting the tire I found out the reason I had gotten flat was because the liner had fallen apart inside the tire. I decided to give Spinskins the benefit of the doubt and try them on my road bike. This was my second mistake! Upon dismounting my road tire to change another flat I encountered the same damn thing, another liner broken up into a dozen pieces. These things are pure CRAP!!!!!!!I should have saved my eighty buks for tubes.