Home | Reviews | Extras | Speed

2.95/5 (60 Reviews)

Speed Patch

Submitted by SteveC a Cross Country Rider from Southeast Mass

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2009

Strengths:    Quick. Easy. Small. Doesn't dry out like the glue in the vulcanisation kits. Still good after 10 years in the Camelbak.

Weaknesses:    wouldn't necessarily trust at real high psi(over 100) on the road bike, but other than that none

Bottom Line:
You gotta keep it clean when applying. sand the tube good.. center and apply without getting your fingers(body oils) on the tube or the patch.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Dave's Bike Infirmar

Similar Products Used:   Park. Same review

Bike Setup:   road and mtn

Submitted by Gene Simpson a Weekend Warrior from Long Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2009

Bottom Line:
Gary are you still alive? work number 562 985-0818 Long Beach

Favorite Trail:   LA River Beds

Purchased At:   Anaheim Bike

Submitted by Sam Chin a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2005

Strengths:    Light, easy to use, no messy glue, no drying time, small size

Weaknesses:    none for me, these are great!

Bottom Line:
At first, I thought these patches were terrible and leaky. Then, I read the instructions closely. They say to roll the tube and patch between or fingers after application. This step makes a really tight seal over the hole. Since I've been doing that, they've made my tubes as good as new.
I even use them on my road bike now. Even the high pressures I put in those tubes won't make them leak.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon

Purchased At:   friend gave them to me

Similar Products Used:   Rubber patches with vulcanizing glue

Bike Setup:   Used with mountain and road tires from 40-125 psi

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, Ca

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
There are those who gripe about the people who made bad reviews on SpeedPatch. To those defending this product, what the heck is the use of this product if it is only a TEMPORARY fix? Nevermind if it is suppose to get you home. I would rather have a patch that would get me home AND be a permanent solution to my flat tire. Better that than spend $ on another tube.

Submitted by Fred from Bakersfield, California USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Strengths:    They work

Bottom Line:
I just cannot figure out the complaints in regards to these Speed patches! I started using them about 5 to 6 years ago and never had one failure and they lasted. This is a MTB tire review where most MT bikes run lower pressure than road bike and yet they work for this application too. You do have to clean and sand the tube just as you would for a normal patch before you apply. Look you all, I do not race professionally, I am not a bike mechanic or work in a bike shop, I'm just a frickin normal guy that rides for fitness. But after moving to the area I now live in I began to experience on the average of 4 flats a week and started to use the Speed Patch; I have now used at least 80 of these patches and never had one fail, and I don't use them as temporarily fixes-they are permanent and even work of seams!!!

Purchased At:   Snyders Bicycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   Park-no problems with them either.

Bike Setup:   road bike with 130psi tires

Submitted by Karkus a Weekend Warrior from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2002

Strengths:    Quicker and less messy than regular patches
Allows you to finish the ride (in some cases)

Weaknesses:    Fails either immediately or after a few rides

Bottom Line:
I bought speed patches about 3 years ago, and after several failures, I gave up and went back to regular patches which work great for me.
Last month in Moab, a friend tried using a Speed Patch. I figured maybe they had solved the problems from 3 years ago. We were making jokes about the "3 step speed patch installation method" - 1) Install Speed Patch 2) Take off speed patch because it leaks 3) Use regular patch to fix the hole. Sure enough, the Speed patch leaked shortly after the guy pumped up the tire, and he then used a regular patch.

Favorite Trail:   Enchanted Forest

Similar Products Used:   regular patches

Submitted by steven a Weekend Warrior from Bucks, UK

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2001

Strengths:    easy to use and very effective.

Bottom Line:
Before I left So. Cal. to England, my local bike shop recommended the pre-glue "speed patch." I had never used one before and was reluctant. But the shop owner told me that he had used it for many years and was very happy with it.

At any rate, I went biking in the countryside last weekend, and got both my bike tires flatted when crossing a dense woody path. I replaced one with a spare and patched the other using the "speed patch" following the simple instructions behind the tin box. Less than 30 minutes, the patched tire flat again. Like most people I cursed the "speed patch," and used my last spare to put me back on the road.

After returning home, I was curious about the patch because it seemed to be firmly glued to the tube when I examined it during the replacement. I filled the air into the patched tube then submerged it into a bucket of water inch-by-inch. I was surprised that the patch was OKAY! It took me another 20 minutes before I found the second hole that was so tiny unless I squeezed very hard and looked the bubbles extremely careful, I would miss it. I patched the second hole and the first flat tube with the "speed patches" and put them back on my bike. Since then both tubes have been working just like new.

So, either the tube had two holes when it went flat the first time, or it got the second hole after I patched it.

Purchased At:   Irvine, CA

Bike Setup:   GT, 26", mountain bike

Submitted by Patch Adams a Weekend Warrior from Sunny California USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Strengths:    quick and easy install (follow the directions MORON). good for limping home

Weaknesses:    none - understand: that this is a temporary fix

Bottom Line:
As others have said, "this is a temporary fix". Carry a spare tube on the trail. If you are forced to use a speed patch - or any other freakin' patch, get a new tube when you get home! and please, stop your whining!

Favorite Trail:   thornyflatpopper

Purchased At:   free - "borrowed" from a friend ;^)

Submitted by fransisco lopez a Weekend Warrior from santa ana

Date Reviewed: December 30, 1999

Strengths:
product works great
no glue no mess

Weaknesses:
no enough in kit

Bottom Line:
speed patch is the original glueless and the best
of all on the market

river

2 Years

park,skab,import

gt , rock shock

Submitted by arkay a Cross-Country Rider from wilmington nc

Date Reviewed: July 20, 1999

Strengths:
fast and easy
cheap
takes virtually no space

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I put on two speed patches after flating at France Park, IN last week. Neither patch has leaked. I don't know why others have had problems. My patches have been sitting in my bike bag for at least two years. I cleaned the puncture with spit, sanded well, wiped it off again, and kneaded the patch in place with my thumbs, then remounted the tire. I did not rolll the patch as suggested in the instructions. Maybe these patches need a thin, pliable tube to work well, like the standard Specialized. Maybe others have not checked for multiple punctures. Who knows.....

less than 1 month

standard glue on patches

96 trek 850 frame
lx/xt drive
answer sx tpc fork
panaracer smoke/dart, specialized tubes

Submitted by LG a Cross-Country Rider from Armonk

Date Reviewed: July 20, 1999

Strengths:
Easy and Fast

Weaknesses:
None that I know of

Bottom Line:
These things work fine! If I flat I don't even clean the area, I just sand it press the lttle bugger on and off you go.

2 Years

Regular glue and patch

Santacruz XTR Z1

Submitted by BJN a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: March 19, 1999

Strengths:
Nice idea.

Weaknesses:
Doesn't work.

Bottom Line:
Does anyone else find all the rave reviews for these things a bit suspicious? Why do all these So. Cal guys leave caps lock on and use multiple exclamation marks? Hmmm? Just to balance it out, I give these one chili... that really is about how well they work.

tested or demo'ed only

Parks.

My bike has tires.

Submitted by JASON DUNNAHOE a downhiller

Date Reviewed: January 20, 1999

Bottom Line:

I really like these things and hate to see the bad wrap that they get and would love to see these things out of the bad wrap list that they are in. MY personal opinion of them began in my first year of racing when I recieved my first Norba Grab Bag. There they were a six pack of black squares. I used them they didn't work, I used them more they didn't work! Then I went do and met the man that did it all. He showed me the SECRET! and it has never left me flat again. He showed me that you have to SCUFF the tube until it was a dark matte balck, then you place the patch on there and stretch the patch from opposite corners just like you do on a normal patch to get the plastic cellophane strip off. Voila!!! Patched.

Submitted by Jason Dunnahoe from downhiller

Date Reviewed: January 15, 1999

Bottom Line:

These things rule, I use them all the time to help get me through the rides that I go on. Nothing sucks worse than when you get out there and you need to fix it fast and get back on the road. I use them also to help me with things that rattle on my bike like brake cables, so I wrap them up in it and it pads them from clanking against the frame.

Submitted by MATHEW a weekend warrior from CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 1999

Bottom Line:

I HAVE BEEN USING SPEED PATCH FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS. I HAVE YET
TO HAVE A BAD DAY WITH SPEED PATCH. THE REASON IS THAT I CLEAN MY TUBE AND DO NOT TOUCH THE AREA TO BE PATCHED. I NEVER TOUCH THE CENTER OF THE STICKY SIDE. SPEED PATCH HAS
AN UNREAL ADHESIVE IF USED PROPERLY. I WAS RIDING IN THE SNOW AND IT WORKED GREAT!!. THE ORIGINAL AND THE BEST
SPEED PATCH RULES!!!!! IT'S FLY GET SOME WWW.SPEEDPATCH.COM

Patch Monkey (aka Bacardi Monkey, Rum Monkey)

FINALLY got my "new to me" Karate Monkey built up. It's a 2006 medium in brown with a blue KM fork. Picked up this frame and fork combo from fellow member deeeight (thanks again to a great seller!!! Pleasure, as always). Price was right so I figured i'd take the chance with the frame size. I was ... Read More »

Contact Patch

Is there a "study" or some sort of list of various combinations of rim width and tires, given a standard air pressure and vertical weight, that measures the resulting contact patch size? I'm just trying to figure out what's to be gained from RD + Nate to RD + BFL to Clown+ Nate to Clown + Lou.Read More »

Cracked frame patch job?

I can't afford a new frame right now so I was weighing all options and wanted to run this idea past the experts. I have a very small crack in the rear triangle above the weld in the pic below. It seems to be a standard feature of the Ironhorse MKIII. I discovered it a few months ago and it hasn' ... Read More »

Easy fix to patch slight tears in tires?

I got a 4mm or so cut in the tread of my Racing Ralph with snake skin last night and all of the stans came out without it sealing. I hit it with C02 and seemed to seal pretty well and babied it the rest of the way on what turns out to have been 18psi. Back at the car I put in 2oz of stans and aired ... Read More »

How to patch pinhole on hydration reservoir?

I just got a brand new Hydrapak Selva and the reservoir had a pinhole in it. Got it from Jenson USA and they are sending me a replacement bladder at no charge and let me keep the defective one. Since the hole is pretty small I'm thinking of trying to patch it so I can have it as a reserve. Anybody d ... Read More »