Home | Reviews | Extras | Slime

2.33/5 (27 Reviews)

Slime Skabs patches

Submitted by Brian Childress

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2012

Strengths:    Small and easy to carry with everything you need in the package. They are applied quickly.

Weaknesses:    They don't work very long.

Bottom Line:
Had a small thorn get in my tire. Used a skab and was able to get back on the trail. I finished riding an hour later and noticed the air pressure was down a little. Put the bike up and the next morning the tire was completely down. Had to clean off residue left from skab to put on a good patch. Not worth the hassle. I'd rather just take a little time and do it right the first time.

Submitted by Mick

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2012

Strengths:    I like the packaging .. but the contents are rubbish

Weaknesses:    They do not work !

Bottom Line:
Total crap .. they simply dont work .. if you have some, save yourself the trouble and throw them in the bin.

Submitted by Doug

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2012

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    They do not patch a flat tire.
Too weak to patch a tire
Hard to peel
Unreliable product

Bottom Line:
100% pure junk! A paper towel soaked in honey would stick better than these patches. Used 4 of them so far and every one failed when I reinflated. The last one I inflated the tire only partially and it blew a hole right through the patch! If you don't want to be stranded with a flat tire and a pack of onreliable patches, then don't use these.

Submitted by Cameron

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2012

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    It is weakness

Bottom Line:
Terrible. patch didn't leak but actually blew out immediately from a hole that had developed on the patch around 40 psi while pumping . Tried a second patch on a different tube with a microscopic hole and the exact same thing happened immediately. I'd like to take these buggers and stick them all over the face of whoever came up with them at slime. Then again I've used their products before to no avail, so no surprises i guess. Money would have been better spent buying $2.50 worth of temporary tattoos from a vending machine

Submitted by BlakeB a Weekend Warrior from Port St. Lucie FL

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2012

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Neither the patch nor their glue works as advertised.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy the product or accept it as a gift. A good friend gave me the patches after he found that they were junk. I have tried every possible way to get them to work, but to no avail.

Walmart sells this crap as well as the Slime glue. I bought the glue thinking that it had to work as advertised. Wrong. Apply a rubber patch using the glue, wet or fully dry, and it still won't hold.

Worst product ever. I galls me to have to give it a 1 rating.

Purchased At:   Gift from a friend?

Submitted by mountain-goat a Cross Country Rider from Northumberland. U.K

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2011

Strengths:    Quick and easy to use

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Follow the instructions properly and they'll do the job. Nothing better than a glue on patch.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Purchased At:   Halfords

Bike Setup:   Specialized Pitch Comp

Submitted by jon a Cross Country Rider from Illinois

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2011

Weaknesses:    the skabs don't work under higher pressures

Bottom Line:
I bought these today thinking they should do the trick nicely. Wrong! within 10 minutes of patching the tire it was flat as a pancake again. The product costs the same amount as a tube, just buy the tube. I only put one flamin' chili because I have to.

Favorite Trail:   any and all

Purchased At:   walmart

Bike Setup:   Giant Kronos

Submitted by Hiker1965 a Weekend Warrior from Elizabethtown KY

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2011

Strengths:    Pretty green color!!

Weaknesses:    Does not work!!

Bottom Line:
I bought a package of these for trail use. After I got a small puncture, I tried them out. All of them!! The first one would not stick, the second would not come off the paper, and the rest stuck but would not hold. So I used an entire package on one small puncture with no success. Nice to have to walk my bike all the way back to the TH because these "great" products left me high and dry! I have tried the tire sealant as well and so far both Slime products suck. I will not buy another slime product, and you would be smart not to as well. I have started just keeping an extra tube in my accessory pouch on my bike. Less hassle, and the right quick fix! Maybe a nice name brand patch kit will be added as well. But I am done with Slime, no more for me!!
1 Flamin Chili is too high of a rating for these products!! Absolute junk!

Purchased At:   Target

Submitted by Katy a Cross Country Rider from Uk

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2011

Strengths:    Very good

Bottom Line:
I have read lots of bad comment on this product, and after trying them I totally disagree. I have found these skabs to be fantastic, quick and easy to use and I would definitely recommend to a friend.

Favorite Trail:   Dalby forrest

Similar Products Used:   General puntire repair kit

Bike Setup:   Hard tail

Submitted by gs a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    don't work- is there any other weakness that matters?

Bottom Line:
This product should be taken off the market. It gives the rest of their products a bad name - I for one will never buy a product of any kind of theirs....so actually perhaps this was a good cheap try so I know what not to buy next time..i.e nothing related to Slime.
I have used the entire package and cannot get any one of the patches to stick beyond reinflation.....actually the first one got to reassembly and the end of the driveway...
Do not waste your money on these.
They don't rate even on flamin' chilli...although you would be better of burning them.

I am a commuter - no catagory for us that actually "use" our bikes rather than pay with them

Favorite Trail:   roads

Purchased At:   Bike store

Similar Products Used:   many other patch types that do work

Bike Setup:   two wheels

Submitted by Mike Lutz a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, NY

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to apply

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Excellent product. I don't have the problems others have with slow leaking (at least as compared to glued on patches, which also break down over time), and I ride with my tires at 115-120PSI. I've also used these on my 80PSI hybrid with no failures.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Park glueless patches - these do not work.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Sirrhus (25 years old) road bike

Submitted by TheIslander a Racer from Wales, UK

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2010

Strengths:    Quick to apply

Weaknesses:    Quick to bubble leak and fail - These things do not work!

Bottom Line:
If you're going to blow $5, blow it on anything but these little green stickers

Purchased At:   Halfords

Similar Products Used:   Proper patches with glue, sand paper and french chalk!

Bike Setup:   Yes it is thank you.

Submitted by CheyneJ a Weekend Warrior from Norfolk, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2010

Strengths:    An alleged quick, simple fix for a flat tube.

Weaknesses:    -----------> Does not work! <-------------

Bottom Line:
These patches don't work.

Skabs conveniently already have glue on them except for the important point that the glue that doesn't harden. As great as the glue may be, it's not going to hold against high PSI without hardening!

My bike was flat at the house. I've patched it multiple times, waited and not waited to pump it back up to 60psi, let it sit under no performance stress and walked back moments later to find the tire completely flat again. The actual puncture is like a hair's width and maybe 1/4-1/2" long. The directions are simple and easy to follow, the product does not work. The bike wasn't even in use.

On this bike I have Slime self-healing inner tubes and a Slime patch kit, I don't intend to purchase Slime products again. The benefits of these products have so far only turned out to be wishful thinking.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Daniel299 a Cross Country Rider from Sugar Land, Texas, United States

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2010

Strengths:    Portability, ease of use, price, no glue.

Weaknesses:    Must deflate tube for these to work.

Bottom Line:
I've heard a lot of bad reviews about these not working especially at higher pressures than 80psi. I followed the instructions and deflated the tube so that it was flat when I applied it. It held up for a 15 mile test ride today and I have yet to see how long it will last. When using the metal scraper, I actually made the hole bigger going from pinhole sized to 1mm diameter. These worked on my road bike which runs at 100psi.

If you're into no hassle, cheap fixes. This is the patch for you.
If not, then I don't know what to tell you. Keep gluing!

Purchased At:   Wal-Mart

Similar Products Used:   Bell Glue-less patch kit.

Bike Setup:   1991 Diamondback Interval TG.

Submitted by Frmtber a Downhiller from Queensbury

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2010

Strengths:    Sticky

Weaknesses:    expandness

Bottom Line:
Cased a 5 stair bad, and a curb real bad and the patch is still holding a steady 50 psi, this was in cold weather,

Favorite Trail:   Sweet rd