Home | Reviews | Extras | SKS

SKS Shockboard Front Fender Extras

3.83/5 (12 Reviews)

The Shockboard special geometry takes into account both the travel of the fork, as well as a sufficient footroom around the pedals. It moves parallel to the steering so that the wide section is permanently positioned above the front wheel.

Submitted by Mantramsagro

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2014

Strengths:    You can remove it and install it quite easily once the receiver is inside the fork tube. I use a Fox RLC and it worked great. Lasted 9 years.

Weaknesses:    The mounting receiver finally broke. Those plastic flanges get brittle with age I think.

Bottom Line:
Happy with the value and mud protection it provided for many years. Would buy a new one if I could.

Submitted by dgaddis1 a Cross Country Rider from Augusta, GA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2008

Strengths:    Light, easy on and off, works very well

Weaknesses:    Mount is weak

Bottom Line:
It works. The mount is a little weak, mine broke when someone steped on the fender when the bike was laying on the ground...but, I don't really blame the fender for that. Besides, I'd rather the mount break than the fender itself. I drilled a few holes in it, and now I just zip tie it on when I need it. Works great - keeps the muck and mud off ya. I just used it for a six hour endurance race a day after 2" of rain, I stayed clean, didn't have any mud hit me in the face.

It looks very motocross.

Favorite Trail:   FATS

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, Va

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2008

Strengths:    keeps crap out of your face on the trail. looks pretty nice too. taking it off the bracket takes all of a second, and installing it is a smidge quicker

Weaknesses:    the little plastic mounting bracket you insert into the steerer tube can break if you use the fender in cold weather and hit it from the front/top

Bottom Line:
very nice fender if you don't ride in the cold much, but if you use this in the cold (like around or below freezing), be careful, as you can break the plastic mount on it with a good fall and thwak to the fender itself, and finding a replacement hardware kit ain't exactly easy. only place I've seen that carries them is jenson and that entails waiting 16 weeks for the bloody $11 part kit to ship. great for what it's designed to do, but looses a bit for having the mounting bracket break

Favorite Trail:   anything mildly technical with chances to get air

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   the downtube of my frame

Bike Setup:   2006 GT I-Drive 4 5.0 disk, Ritchey Riser bar, Ergon MP1 grips, Crank Brothers Candy C pedals, WTB Speed V saddle

Submitted by Travis a Cross Country Rider from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Strengths:    Wide mud flap on back end, constructed of flexible, durable plastic/rubber, quick release/attachment

Weaknesses:    NOT COMPATIBLE WITH CANNONDALE LEFTY. The tolerance between the fender and the attachment rail is big --> fender has room to wobble.

Bottom Line:
Note: this review is actually for the Shock Blade, not Shock Board; though, my understanding is that the two products are similar enough that the review should apply to both. Looks and feels like a good fender all by itself. The interface between the fender and the mounting hardware could use a little work, though. However, this problem largely stems from the quick release/attachment design; which I like.
The critical fault for this product for me is that it does not mount to my bike --at all. This is for two reasons. The first being that the head tube is much larger than the largest diameter to which the largest "expansion plug" expands. The second reason is that the point on the fender where the front portion steps up from the back part conflicts with the lower clamp of the Lefty suspension.
Nevertheless, if you have a Lefty and you're desperate for a fender (as I am), these problems can be worked around. Though my attempts to do so thus far have been ineffective they have provided proof of concept. Essentially, it boils down to using a device which operates on the identical principle of the expansion plug (perhaps even using the expansion plug with its diameter increased) and a shaft which extends forward enough to allow the step up to clear the lower clamp to which the mounting rail is attached. I don't know how safe this is when you start getting close to full compression on the shock, however.

Favorite Trail:   Keystone Canyon and connecting trails

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush w/ Lefty Speed DLR

Submitted by Achim Stadter a Weekend Warrior from Freiburg, Germany

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2007

Strengths:    Couldn't figure out any strengths yet, because...read the weaknesses

Weaknesses:    I simply can't attach it properly to my frame. (Talking about the front one).
As soon as I twist the screw in, so that the other piece "stretches its legs" to grip inside the frame, the bloody piece work itself out of the frame again.
So, once the screw is tightened, the whole thing is not inside the frame anymore but I got it holding in my hand.
Is my frame the problem here or is this mounting mechanism just a major piece of crap? I reckon!

Bottom Line:
I am really fed up that I spent money on that mudguard. I rather get soaking wet on my rides than trying to mount that bloody piece of plastic again.

Favorite Trail:   Schauinsland

Submitted by Russ Born a Cross Country Rider from Corvallis

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2007

Strengths:    Light
Good mud stoppage
Easy to install/remove

Bottom Line:
This is probably the only front fender I'll ever buy. I did a 25 mile race yesterday, riders without fenders were completely covered in mud, head to toe. I got some on my shirt and just a few spatters on my face. Crashed several times but the fender was fine.

I had already removed it for summer riding, but I brought it to the race just in case. Took only about 10 seconds to re-install it, no tools required. It's a very well designed product that really works. Not the cheapest, but the price is reasonable. If you need a fender, buy it!

Purchased At:   Cyclotopia

Similar Products Used:   Apex half-fender

Bike Setup:   Hardtail 27 speed, RS Duke, V-brakes

Submitted by Fredde a Weekend Warrior from Sundsvall , Sweden

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2006

Strengths:    Looks, function, easy to install, makes ur mtb look like something even though it might not be;)

Weaknesses:    none really except for the adapter, it's might prove a bit hard widening the expander for use in a more narrow steeringtube, but this is only an issue if u use it between 2 different bikes with different specs of course.

Bottom Line:
the mudguard in question is EXCELLENT! i've been using the same one since 2003, and apart from it breaking away from the steeringtube attachment ONCE, it has served me execellently in the swedish "outback"
if u are looking for a mudguard that looks good AND does the job, then this is what u wanna buy!

Favorite Trail:   none u know;)

Purchased At:   sportbiten BIG BIKE

Similar Products Used:   nonames cheap-o-crap-o from swedish clas ohlson,i.e. the swedish equivalent of walmart. it was supposed to fit a suspension fork, but brother it did NOT, it damn near turned my kenda kinetic's into slicks

Bike Setup:   Giant terrago, crappy suntour 60 something fork that needs to be replaced badly.

Submitted by Brad Herder a Racer from Pittsfield, MA

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2004

Strengths:    Works with Cannondale Headshock bikes using their adapter.

Very good coverage for mud coming up from the bottom of the wheel.

Weaknesses:    Reduces tire clearance.

Can not be used with a Cannondale Headshock and a 2.3" tire. Tire rubs on the fender.

Can be used with a Cannondale and a 2.1" tire but sometimes rocks get stuck and hum along until they fall out - or sometimes - it's neccessary to actually stop and roll the wheel backwards to get a rock to fall out.

Bottom Line:
I like to race on my Cannondale, but hate getting mud in my eyes. I have other bikes with fenders on them, but had trouble finding a fender for a Cannondale. This one works well, but reduces tire clearance when using the special adapter for a Cannondale Headshock. Unfortunately, it covers up the Headshock air-filling shrader valve so you have to cut the zip ties anytime you want to change the air pressure in your headshock.

I decided to try the SKS Mudmax Downtube Fender.

If I could find the SKS Mudmax Downtube Fender to evaluate I would, but I can't, so let me tell you about it here. If you're trying to find a fender for a Cannondale - or any bike for that matter - the SKS Mudmax Downtube Fender works GREAT and it's dirt cheap! It also doesn't interfere with the cables on my downtube as some other ones do. Only $8 at speedgoat.com.

I was skeptical that the downtube only fender wouldn't keep mud out of my eyes when flying down hill at high speeds, but it appears 99.9% of the debris that hits me in the face comes from below and almost none comes from it shooting out the front and then running into it. So a downtube only fender works great.

So - If you want a full fender and aren't concerned about loosing a little tire clearance - the SKS Shockboard Front Fender works great. Having it removable is nice too, especially if transporting it on a roof top of a car and you don't want it to get torn to bits by the wind as I've had happen to a THE fender once.

But a downtube fender works just as well and weighs less and it easier to install.