Home | Reviews | Extras | Skinz

Skinz Mountain Bike Protector Extras

Keep grit, grime, and road spray off your bike while youreTraveling. Adds a critical layer of protectionTo your bike, extending headset bearing life and slowing corrosion from water and road salt.

Submitted by skiahh

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2014

Strengths:    Standard coverage, easy to install, multiple straps to tighten and keep from moving with road wind.

Weaknesses:    Not durable. Tears easily. Company doesn't care.

Bottom Line:
I've had several Skinz brand bike protectors. The first and second batch I bought were because there wasn't a ready alternative and, moving with the military, I had to have my bikes on the roof for extended periods, multiple times. Finally found the Colorado Cyclist brand which, for half the price, puts these to shame. I met someone recently who said Skinz had improved their designs and would be mortified to learn I'd had issues in the past, so I decided to buy another set for a recent move. They seemed stronger and like they wouldn't tear at the first hint of some speed. I was wrong. 2 hours into a 3 day cross country move, the brake handle had poked through the fabric.

When I called Skinz, they started off by blaming me, saying I must not have had them on right. When I send them a picture showing the bike, with the brake lever poking through, they said call the retailer for service. The retailer now 1500 miles behind me.

Poor product from a poor company.

Find an alternative; at least if it doesn't last, you won't lose as much money when it tears.