Sidetrak Tool bag (largest) Extras

Tool bag (largest)

Submitted by bent freak from Cambridge, MA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

Bike tools come in a large variety of shapes and sizes, and aren't really suited to ordinary tool boxes, at least if you want to get to them quickly.Sidetrak makes a tool roll a large sheet of balistic nylon, covered with sewn pockets. It comes with a tube to go across the top, and straps and hooks to hang it from the sliding door of a van. Your tools are displayed in much the same way as the classic tool board we see at the shop, but unlike the board at the shop, this one rolls up, and fits into a sack.When it isn't hanging, you pull the tube out, and can roll it up. It has straps, and in theory you could carry it that way, but I have mine so full, that stuff will fall out that way. In it goes to the (optional) bag, and that problem is mostly averted.The tools are on display for easy grabbing, there are dedicated pockets for spokes, and a bunch of mesh pockets to hold smaller stuff. When at home, I hang it from the wall, its more convienent than a toolbox. When full, and in its bag, it holds enough to risk hernia's.I installed some eyelets at the top corners to make it easier to hang from a wall when home. (I wish it came that way). I am tempted to make it up a hanging stand, that can be used freestanding. (about 15th place on the project list. low enouch that stuff usually starts above it)I think its great, it is a lot better than rooting thru toolboxes, looking for that 8mm combo wrench. My biggest problem with it, is that its not big enough. I have to put multiple things in each pocket. (of course when I go out, its expecting to fix a bunch of different bikes from all sorts of vintages (I have 8 different freewheel wrenches for example), if I were just fixing mtb, I bet I would need a lot fewer tools).Next in line is that it doesn't have a good provision to hold socket wrenches. I would like one of those strips that they snap into or something. I would happlily buy it again (or buy a second one), so I am giving it 5 stars anyway.