Shockboard Mudguard Extras

4.18/5 (17 Reviews)

Shockboard Mudguard

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2007

Strengths:    Sticks solidly into my fork once the bolt is fully tightened, and stays on even after a mile in rough gravel.

Weaknesses:    None so far!

Bottom Line:
An awesome fender that can take some hits and keep hanging on! I'd reccomend this to anyone who's looking for a good fender for not-too-technical rides.

Favorite Trail:   Waterfront Trail

Purchased At:   Mountain Equipment Co-op

Bike Setup:   Trek 3900 with bottle and cage, Trek cycle computer, pump, X3 mudguard on the back and Shockboard on the front (both made by SKS).

Submitted by billy a Cross Country Rider from cola sc usa

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2002

Strengths:    very good protection from mud, lightweight, more protection than THE fenders and looks way better at the same time(on XC bikes)

Weaknesses:    maybe the mounting bracket, not really

Bottom Line:
i used a piece of innertube in the steerer tube to tighten the fit of the shockboard. had some play initially, but this was a quick fix. and of course it mates well with their rear fender. nothing but kudos for SKS.

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   homegrown factory limited frame(nasty): w/atom race, crossrides, thomson all around, arch rivals, xt/xtr, flite gel, atacs

Submitted by a monty a Weekend Warrior from yorkshire England

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Strengths:    stops the mud

Weaknesses:    doesnt work with my RST forks fitted with Tecktro brake boosters the booster plate crashes onto gaurd on rough ground IE not enough clearance between pointless front bit

Bottom Line:
take a hack saw to the front half for avoidence of the booster

Favorite Trail:   owt

Purchased At:   local cycle shop

Similar Products Used:   down tube clip on type

Bike Setup:   scott

Submitted by Paul Bryan a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2001

Strengths:    Works well at keeping mud off.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't always stay straight--no big deal, but I think this is because of the quick-release nature of the mounting bracket.

Bottom Line:
If you need a front fender where you ride, buy it! You will not be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Whidbey Island Trails

Purchased At:   REI online

Bike Setup:   '99 Specialized M2 Comp--mostly stock

Submitted by Serpico a Cross Country Rider from Cle Elum,Washington

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2001

Strengths:    keeps mud and rocks out of your face.

Weaknesses:    by the looks of the broken mount when i found it, the mount is weak.

Bottom Line:
i drilled a 6mm hole in fender and mounted it with a starnut. i recently purchased one for my singlespeed.i used their hardware but used a starnut on the fork.this fender does a great job ,it just needs a stronger mount.

Purchased At:   found it on the trail

Similar Products Used:   home made stuff

Bike Setup:   yep they are set up

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Edmonds, WA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2001

Strengths:    It works. The price is very right.

Weaknesses:    The steerer tube attachment system requires some trial and error to get down perfectly.

Bottom Line:
After having a rock fly offthe front tire and under my glasses last year nearly blinding me, I decided front fenders weren't such a bad idea afterall. A couple of rides of dinking with the dam thing taught me to sand the inside of the steerer tube with some heavy grit sandpaper to keep it tight. Haven't had a problem since. The quick release works very well. I recently installed a THE fender on my other ride so I can do a comparison test. Kind of a form over function thing. THE has the sex appeal. Shockboard just works. After mounting the THE fender, Shockboard has a BIG lead.

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Scotty a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2001

Strengths:    Easy install, pops on/off easily, great splash protection, keeps bike and face clean, detaches without braeking during a crah (so far)

Weaknesses:    Large tires hit the fender when shock fully compresses (Marzocchi Z4), attatchment clip comes loose for first few months

Bottom Line:
Great fender for keeping you dry & pops off when not needed. Any tire bigger than a Tioga DH 2.1 (2.3 for other bragger brands) will bottom out on fender and send it flying.

Similar Products Used:   THE moto, Front deflector sheild

Bike Setup:   '98 Kona Lava Dome

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Cle Elum, WA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2001

Strengths:    Heavier plastic than THE fenders, simple to mount, and keeps mud out of your face.

Weaknesses:    Really cheesey plastic slider mount.

Bottom Line:
Well I got this fender because I was getting tired of having mud thrown in my eyes and after using it one time out I could see that fenders are definitely a great accessory. The problem occured when I went to remove the fender after the first ride only to have the plastic slider bracket break off. I took it back to the store and they gave me a new slider bracket. The next weekend I went out on a downhill course only to bottom out my shocks onto the fender and you can guess what happened to the fender again. It came off somewhere on the course and I never found it. When I looked at what remained of the mounting bracket you could see that it broke just the same as it had before. I would not suggest this product for a person with shocks with a normal travel. All in all I was pretty disappointed that it only lasted to weeks with very little abuse. As to the manufacturer, get a clue!!! If you can't come up with a better mounting idea, stay out of the fender business.

Favorite Trail:   Whiskey Dick

Purchased At:   Ellensburg Cyclery

Bike Setup:   CannondaleM4oo

Submitted by Mr. Poopy Pants a Cross Country Rider from cola, sc

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2001

Strengths:    it keeps mud off your face, pretty darn light

Weaknesses:    mounting unit is a bit sketchy, but it is holding up.

Bottom Line:
Had to jerry-rig a piece of inner tube to make one of the 3 adapters fit into my Zoke atom race, no biggie. went riding the other day after a entire day of rain, it kept me extremely protected from flying mud. I wish i used the rear. my backside was covered. So don't be macho and say fenders are for fairies unless you're gonna sit down in your car after a ride and not use your jersey to protect your seat from all the mud. They are cool.

Purchased At:   performance

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Mountain View CA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap
Light
Easy to install
Good protection

Weaknesses:    Need to crank the mounting bolt good and tight

Bottom Line:
This is a great front fender for cross-country. Unlike most motocross inspired fenders, the shockboard puts the bulk of the fender behind the shock, where it's useful, while putting just enough up front to keep mud from flying up into my spectacles. As well, the fender pops on and off quickly and easily. I have however found that the mounting bolt needs to be cinched down very tight, and it needs to be retightened every few months when it's new - the plastic binder tends to deform over time. After a few months, it will settle in to place and stay tight.

Favorite Trail:   Henry Coe

Purchased At:   Bicycle Outfitter

Similar Products Used:   Various downtube mounted mudguards

Bike Setup:   Stock Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by Bart a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2001

Strengths:    The ShockBoard rocks my world. It's light weight and does an excellent job of keeping the wet out of my face.

Weaknesses:    Mounting into shock/headset could be stronger. I broke mine after a year while removing the shock. I emailed SKS via their website and they mailed me a new mount kit! Excellent customer service.

Bottom Line:
I have gone from being a wet puppy riding in the mudd with mudd in my face to being a wet puppy riding in the mudd with NO mudd in my face. This is a huge improvement. I am actually riding less in the rain as I've been feeling guilty about trail erosion, but when I got out and there is still some goop, the ShockBoard comes through as needed.

Purchased At:   Sprockets in Santa Cruz

Similar Products Used:   Bottle cut in half. Strange piece of plastic from Zefal.

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR-XC Comp with Vanilla Air-RC Shock Upgrade.

Submitted by GammaDriver a Cross Country Rider from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Strengths:    A great idea, copied from the plastic fender companies that charge way too much for glorified plastic.

Looks moto

Protects te rider

Quick Release

Weaknesses:    Mounting hardware is, indeed, as Rob stated in the post below - it needs some wider stress point than the head of a 3mm allen bolt (as mine just proved)

Bottom Line:
Well, it's looked moto, so it was cool to commute with for two days (it's kinda neat watching the front wheel travel compared to the fender every now and then...).

But two days of 20 degree weather must make the slide part of the mounting hardware too brittle. I let the bike fall against an evergreen shrub (which isn't nearly the same as letting a bike fall to the icy, snow covered ground) and the slider mount snapped completely.

On one hand I love the product for its price range (when compared to other fork-mounted moto-style fenders), but on the other I'm never going to be happy with a well intentioned product that doesn't hold up.

I have yet to really try to contact the company to see what kind of customer support they have (which is, in my book, a really important factor in today's mtb'ing aftermarket parts economy). The LBS I bought it from was nice enough to give me the new mounting hardware from a new fender on the rack, so it's not like I can demand a replacement mount from the company - still, it should be interesting to see if I can get a hold of them and what becomes of it.

----

Ok, before I posted I went to the site and used the English site-link to get to their online e-mail (and just recieved an automatic cursory promise of quick response e-mail). I notified them of my problem as well as the idea to make some mounting hardware out of metal (heck, just the slide-mount in aluminum would be great). I also asked if bike shops or consumers could buy a supply of their weak links, and if they had some kind of warranty (no warranty info seems to be listed on the product packaging in front of me). They sure do have a nice site, nice packaging and plenty of boasting - I'm curious to see if they're everything they imply they are.

Three overall chilis for now since I'm sure it protects if you don't let anything touch it.

-Peace

Similar Products Used:   Made my own out of a large gatorade bottle I cut up and mounted to the downtube with quick-ties and a rubber band (which is still impressign the heck out of me compared to the Shockboard product)

Submitted by Sid a Weekend Warrior from Davis, CA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2001

Strengths:    Inexpensive, works great, quick release

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Besides the price, which I guess the guys at SKS found out the competition was twice as high or more so they raised their prices because they are selling for $25 this year, the really cool thing about them is the quick release. If you don't need the fender on your bike it takes only a second to remove it and/or put it back on again.

If you ride at night these are a must unless you live in a desert. It keeps the crud off your lights, cables and glasses. Basically it makes riding in the winter a much more enjoyable experience.

I've taken some pretty good crashes and the fender has held up well and even if it breaks, your not out a ton of cash.

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   seen others but haven't tried them

Bike Setup:   VooDoo Nzumbi singlespeed and Intense Uzzi XC

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from MS

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2000

Strengths:    +Does its job, keeps me dry.
+Simple initial setup.
+Easy on, easy off mountings.
+About as substantial as any accessory can be and still be XC-light.
+Looks like a bike part, not some moto-wannabe thing Zap would stick on his bike.
+Matching rear fender available, and it's just as good.

Weaknesses:    -Could use a *little* metal in the mounting hardware to toughen things up.
-Could encourage idiots to rip up wet trails (yeah, like this thing's to blame).

Bottom Line:
Keeps me dry, even better than I thought it would. Keeps the crud out of my face, chest, and glasses. Comes off easily with a push button ratchet thing, good for dry days or for being up on the roof rack in 80mph traffic. No stupid problems: doesn't slip, resonate noise, or give off eye-blinding flashes.

It's not perfect, the mounting hardware's just a shade cheesy, but when somebody makes a perfect fender they'll say "Oh yeah, we used the SKS Shockboard as our starting point."

Favorite Trail:   today? Couch-Badlands loop

Purchased At:   The Wheel House, Biloxi

Bike Setup:   2000 STP 200 w/GripShifts and a few other doodads.

Submitted by Philip a Cross Country Rider from Kodiak, Alaska

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2000

Strengths:    SKS Shockboard. Almost perfect design. Looks way cool. Light. Super easy on and off. Great upper body/face mud protection. What else can I say? The best.

Weaknesses:    Head tube mount? No problems at all yet, even after a lot of banging around, but the setup seems a little flimsy.

Bottom Line:
Wow, what a great product. I live in a WET place and am always looking for a way to keep buckets of mud off my face and out of my eyes, and the SKS fender is the best I have ever seen. It is so easy to pop on and take off with a great quick release slider. The plastic expander setup in the steerer tube seems a little lame considering how well thought out the rest of the design is, but it still is the best, most rigid, most trouble-free fender I have ever used. Props to SKS! Yes, fenders can be cool.

Purchased At:   Bike Shop, Anchorage