Power Grips Pedal Strap Extras

4.29/5 (34 Reviews)

The hands-free Power Grips pedal strap is easy to install and use, and no special shoes or pedals are needed.

Submitted by Hank Wanker

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2012

Strengths:    Tough as nails. Easy to get in and out of.

Bottom Line:
I have a foot problem and cannot wear a bike shoe. Therefore, I have been using these for almost fifteen years. I don't often write reviews and when I do I don't often give five chilis. However, these are an outstanding product. I buy them at the Manufacturers in Grand Junction. No discount in price but you can buy the straps seperately (they tend to wear out first). No worries about getting out once you get used to the grips. These grips give you confidence on the gnarly stuff and extra power on the uphills. Buy them.

Submitted by commuterguy

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2012

Strengths:    tough all weather, just plain works

Weaknesses:    can be kind of hard to get into, particularly if you are use to double sided spd
Not very cool looking if you are an equipment weenie

Bottom Line:
I have been running on power grips for winter riding with boots for many years. Power grips just work. They require a little bit of coordination to use- heel in to grip tighter- heel out to release. Not much really, just not brainless like a clipless pedal. When you compare performance to cost these are an extraordinary value. Very low intitial cost. No cleats to replace. Wear like iron.

Submitted by kitsapken a Weekend Warrior from Gig Harbor, WA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2011

Strengths:    Very durable and light weight. Simple and effective design. Easy to install and adjust.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I have friends that use these on their mountain bikes for years and love them, so I picked them up today at my LBS for my commuter bike. Easy instructions (if you need them) and they went on in about 20 min. This is a perfect solution if you don't want to go clipless. Toe clips hit fenders and with these I had no issues with toe rub. Easy to install and adjust. This is a great design that is simple and does the job of keeping your foot on the pedal. The material is more stiff and strong then what it looks and it holds shape for easy on/off for mounts and dismounts.

Only problem I had was that the bag of hardware was short 2 lock nuts. The product deserves 5 chilis but I'm only giving 4 because of this. Kind of a pet peeve of mine when something you buy which requires installation is missing hardware.

Favorite Trail:   Banner

Bike Setup:   Redline R550 road bike with platform pedals

Submitted by patrick a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2010

Strengths:    relatively inexpensive

Weaknesses:    hard to get in to, do not fit as manufacturer recommends

Bottom Line:
I bought these for my fixed gear bike. They make a version that is supposed to be specific to fixed gear, but I found them unusable.

First, at the smallest setting it was still too large, even though I wear a size 11 shoe.

If that had been the only problem I could have dealt with it, but far worse was the fact that they were extremely difficult to get my feet in. The first was easy as I could do it at a stop, but the second was almost impossible.

This may be a problem specific to fixed gear bicycles, as you do not have the luxury of holding the pedals in a fixed position due to the lack of a freewheel, but as this version of the product is advertised as being designed for fixed gear, I feel it should be usable for a fixie. I think the problem is that the bands are not stiff enough to stand up on their own, so if you miss it the first time, they get flattened and are difficult to correct. On two 10 mile rides I was only able to get both feet in the straps once out of about 30 or more attempts.

Don't buy these for fixed gear bikes.

Purchased At:   manufacturer

Submitted by dft a Downhiller from san diego

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2009

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    i only get about 8 months from a give strap since i ride pretty hard.

Bottom Line:
i have been riding these for 10+ years and absolutly love them. i take offense to someone saying they are not for hardcore/technical riding. i've ridden every type of terrain you can (i'm pretty much a freerider) and they continue to be my favorite product. i just spent 5 weeks of riding whistler in them, pure awesomeness. i've done 13 foot drops, 30 foot gaps, high narrow skinnies, ultra steep descents (ride-don't slide, gargemel, lower joyride) and they perform flawlessly. i am 100% a lifetime user of this product.

Favorite Trail:   ride-don't slide

Submitted by mrcaseyman a Weekend Warrior from Victor

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2009

Weaknesses:    Sizing incorrectly stated on website

Bottom Line:
I ordered the exta long as their website says to do if you wear a sizes 12 or larger. They were WAY to long. I had to shorten them to get them to fit at all.
In use I could not get my feet into them unless I reached down and tugged them over my shoes. In practice they were horrible. My feet would pop out on hitting bumps on the trail. I would not suggest these for mountain bike riding on any rough or technical trails.

Favorite Trail:   Dryer Park

Purchased At:   bikeisland.com

Similar Products Used:   Toe Clips and clipless

Bike Setup:   29er

Submitted by slychild a Cross Country Rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2009

Strengths:    They work

Weaknesses:    Takes a little time to learn to get in quickly

Bottom Line:
I loved these first time I used them I had to bail very quickly and I did as fast as platforms. I like the way you can decrease or increase the hold without stopping like when I'm headed for a steep downhill rock garden I just back out 1/4 to 1/2 inch and fill very safe then I tilt my feet out push in and tilt in and there solid. No other pedal can do this. I did not buy them to save money as I can afford any pedal shoe combo. I am so glad I tried these. I did grind the bottom of my shoes almost smooth in the front as you don't need the tread and it only slows an exit. If Power Grip ever makes a shoe for there pedal I'm sure it will have a smooth bottom.

Favorite Trail:   Ice Box Canyon @ Snow Basin

Purchased At:   CBO

Bike Setup:   Blur full XTR, Fox F120 RLC, RP23

Submitted by konaguzzi a Weekend Warrior from new zealand

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2009

Strengths:    cheap simple and work bloody well best option i have yet tested or tried i race with them they do not clog up play up and last very well

Weaknesses:    very poor service in new zealand we usualy get ripped off (this time i did not)but no one seems to stock them here any more

Bottom Line:
i will have to order power grips from states but if that is what it takes i will do it,i love them easy simple bloody marvelous (the next lot will cost just a little more)these are suitable for any one to use if you like toe clips these are better easier to get out of in a crash than clipless pedals

Favorite Trail:   middle ridge

Purchased At:   on yer bike

Similar Products Used:   have tried ritchy clipless ,saak low fat with toe clips

Bike Setup:   kona manomano fox vanilla air, marzocchi bomber z3 front forks,203mm front rotor, 125mm rear rotor,hays hydrolic mixed setup,x9 rear derailleur,xt front, hutch bear trap pedals with powergrips!!!!

Submitted by mwelch a Weekend Warrior from 2pacbell,net

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2009

Strengths:    EASY ENTRANCE AND EXIT. VERY NATURAL FEEL. REPLACED STOCK PEDDLES WITH OLDER SHIMANIOS. ON TIGHT SINGLE TRACKS, VERY EAST TO BAIL

Weaknesses:    PERHAPS THEY ARE SLIGHTLY OVER PRICED. THEIR STOCK PEDDLE IS NOT THE BSET GRADE.

Bottom Line:
I TELL RIDERS ABOUT THESE ALL THE TIME. THEY COMPLAIN ABOUT GETTING STUCK IN THEIR CLIPLESS PEDDLES AND GOING DOWN. 15 YEARS AGO, I STARTED USING POWER GRIPS, WENT TO CLIPLESS AND SWITCHED BACK. THESE PROVIDE WHAT I NEED, FOR THE TYPE OF RIDDING THAT I DO.
THEY ARE PROBABLY NOT FOR THE HARD CORE OR THE FASHION COUNSCIOUS.

Favorite Trail:   ROARING CAMP/ WILDERS RANCH

Purchased At:   NASHBAR

Similar Products Used:   CANDYS, RITCHEY COMP.

Bike Setup:   RITCHEY ULTRA

Submitted by Furious Rod a Weekend Warrior from Delray Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2009

Strengths:    Affordable, Secure, works with platform pedals, can wear any kind of shoe, easy to get in and out of

Weaknesses:    Not for aggressive riding

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for something to give you a little more pedal security for casual around the town riding these are for you.

I have these on my town cruiser and they work great. I wear a size 12 shoe and usually wear soft soled sneakers and the regular sized grips work great. They work with platform pedals so if you have large/wide feet this is a solid option.

I wouldn't compare these against riding with cages or clipless because there's no comparison in terms of security and feel. If you need something for agressive riding, I would not use these. If you have big feet or want to walk around when off your bike these work well.

Purchased At:   Ben's Cycles

Bike Setup:   Surly Steamroller

Submitted by buddhak a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap, simple, durable, easy to get your foot in/out, actually helps when you grind up hills, bridges the gap between clipless and platform pedals nicely, you can wear any shoes you like, bigtime float

Weaknesses:    Can be difficult to enter at times...just like any pedal retention system. This improves with time (pedal and rider break-in), but the design has some permanent limitations here that will make it frustrating for those who are used to clipless pedals.

Bottom Line:
I have used these pedals ever since my m545s and my beloved clover platforms both bit the dust. I didn't have the cash to afford a nice clipless shoe & pedal combo, and frankly I was looking to simplify everything. I tried the Power Grips after hearing about them for years and after reading Grant Peterson's appraisal after his GDR experience. It was a frustrating first couple of months, but now that the leather is supple and broken-in, entry-exit is pretty good. More predictable in fact that with my m545s. This is a great product for folks who cannot justify spending $300+ on pedal/shoe combos or for folks who want the benefits of platform pedals but could use some added pedal retention. All in all, it has become quite clear to me why this product has been around for over a decade. It is a very effective and useful pedal for mtb riding.

BTW, I ride 1-2x/week in the rocky mid-atlantic. I do not race...yet. I would like to try a decent set of clipless shoes and pedals one of these days, but it has become harder to justify that expense now that I have this experience with Power Grips. This is essentially a no risk investment if you are looking for a new pedal option in our melting economy. 5 chilis for value, easy. 5 chilis overall because despite certain limitations, this product does its stated job well. like any good simple machine.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon creek

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Shimano m545 clipless, Wellgo and Clover platforms, toe clips w/ straps (90's chic)

Bike Setup:   Surly KM rigid SS, shoes: addidas sambas

Submitted by roadandmtb a Weekend Warrior from TN

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2008

Weaknesses:    Occasionally hard to get into, but you get used to it.

Bottom Line:
I couldn't get clipless adjusted right, so I had some knee pain. I figured out that I need to have the freedom to adjust my foot position depending on the terrain. Couldn't do that with clipless, and I don't like cage/strap. I tried Powergrips and the knee pain disappeared. I have them on all of my bikes now - road and off-road. I have not had problems getting my size 13's into them (as some have indicated). I like being able to walk in my bike shoes, and I use mtb shoes with non-aggressive sole. This helps with getting into and out of the straps.

This setup works for me!

Favorite Trail:   WarnerPark, Lock4