Performance Cargo Case Extras

2.2/5 (5 Reviews)

Perfect way to securely protect & transport your bike – with the solid value and guaranteed satisfaction from Performance.

Features/Benefits:
  • No better choice to baby & comfort your bike when traveling by planes, trains or cars
  • Super tough, durable polyethylene design carries one road or mountain bike (frame size up to 24” or 61 cm)
  • Protects your bike with a layer between your wheels & frame, and includes soft foam sheets to cradle your bike in comfort
  • Four industrial-strength clasps secure the case shut. Designed for use with padlocks (not included) for security
  • Casters make it easy to roll the case with ease
  • Available roof kit to secure the case on your vehicle’s roof racks

One model/size in a stunning shade of basic black

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by lrobbins a Weekend Warrior from Tulsa, OK ,USA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2010

Strengths:    Great, all round product. I have taken this and my bike to 3 continents.

Bottom Line:
    Good product

Purchased At:   unknown

Submitted by todd from lakewood, co

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2005

Strengths:    It's not perfect, but certainly better than a cardboard box, i've travelled by plane with my bike all over the U.S. and a friend took it to France once and we've never had an bike damage or lost gear Works better with MTBs than road bikes due to straight handlebars.

Weaknesses:    Major problems in design...needs to be square, not tapered at one end. It needs to have more than one freakin handle!! Fully packed, trying to haul this thing up from the basement or on-off a shuttle bus is a real pain, no where to get a good hold of it. The latches can pop open during transport. It's only happened once to me, but I'm always nervous about it. I used to solve this by putting locks on it to keep them closed, but nowadays you can't put locks on any of your airline luggage. You can use zip ties, but TSA will cut them off about 50% of the time

Bottom Line:
    Definately a lot cheaper than the Trico case. Although it takes some practice to correctly pack, it will protect your bike during transport. In my opinion it's not worth over $150. I wouldn't buy one again, but since I have it, I'll proabably continue to use it.

Favorite Trail:   anything in CO

Similar Products Used:   Trico case is easier to pack and better secured

Bike Setup:   MTBs: C-dale Jekyll, Merlin Extra Fat, Spicer single speed Road: DEAN El Diente CTi, Litespeed Tuscany

Submitted by scott a Weekend Warrior from austin, tx

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2004

Strengths:    better than a cardboard box, provided it stays closed.

Weaknesses:    my 62cm road bike frame does not fit in drive side up, as recommended. i've used it 6-8 times now, with three of the four lock loops being snapped off on two of my last 4 shipments (was it fedex, or performance? not sure, but dhl, ups, the airlines haven't snapped off the loops). it's asymmetrical top to bottom, with the top of the case beveling in. this makes it tough to close around things like a big chainring, brakes, etc.

Bottom Line:
    i'm going to try the trico ironcase. seems to be easier to pack and more secure.

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Bike Setup:   trek 5200 62cm

Submitted by Landis a Cross Country Rider from Bakersfield

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2003

Weaknesses:    Fit, concept

Bottom Line:
    Case not suitable for vehicle or airline transportation.

When strapped to the luggage rack on the roof of the car with the optional car kit, the air turbulence makes too much racket at any speed over 40 mph. An air dam-- like Yakima's-- is needed but isn't included in the car kit.

I don't dare try to take it on an airline because it will not enclose the width of the chainstays on a bike with a modern, standard 9-speed freewheel or cassette. There's a big gap between the two halves and I'm afraid to risk having the airline reject it. Apparently, this was designed a long time ago for something with a narrow dropout and a five-speed freewheel.

I'm returning it for a refund and getting something else.

Favorite Trail:   Wilder Ranch State Park

Purchased At:   Performance.com

Bike Setup:   '02 Kona Cinder Cone hardtail stock
    '01 Kona Caldera hardtail stock

Submitted by peter from Houston, Texas

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2003

Weaknesses:    hardware, fit

Bottom Line:
    Needed a case to fly my bibike to CA. Thought I would be considerate and use rubber coated padlocks to protect other luggage. Apparantltly, the rubber coating on the lock shackle was able to get enough leverage on the hasp loop on the case to pull the loop right out of the hasp. This happened to two of the four hasps. Apparantly the loops that hold the lock shackle have a flimsy pressed fit into the hasp plate and can be pulled out too easily. The strap handle also felt kinda cheesy, especially when the thing weighs 60lbs+ when loaded. Also, there was a 3/8" gap in the front of the case when closed-the two halves not quite meeting. This could be a problem if any small pieces get loose, or if you mount the thing on your car (rain) as they suggest. I think the basic design is good, but the hardware/fitment /handle issues need addressing. Only case I've tried, so if anyone knows of a decent one out there, let me know.

How much cargo tie downs & bags do you carry around? Per load or just in case?

I am new to the cargo bike scene, I just got my Trek Transport Monday, April 29th. I have made a dog food run(50lbs bag)and misc other hardware store stuff(maybe another 15lbs) and then a seperate grocery run of a week's worth of food/beverages for 4 people and my daycare crew of 4 kiddos. [ATTACH= ... Read More »

cargo case for airline travel??

I can't find any useful info. on what is the very best all-around travel cargo case for taking my Ibis Mojo on an airline. I have tried cases that just don't fit my mtb bike and wheels worth a damn, and other that require too much dismantling, and then there's the thing about making it easy for the ... Read More »

anyone successfully fit a moment in a performance cargo case?

for my test run just now, i had to take the fork off. and even then it was a squeeze width wise. i think to be truly comfortable flying with it i'd have to take the rocker arms off too. anybody who's done it got any packing hints? is there something i could get to keep the rocker arms from compr ... Read More »

Performance hard Cargo Case...anyone using it?

I'm looking to lose my routine of bugging shops for boxes when I weant to travel with my bike. Has anyone used Performance's brand case that can offer an opinion? Thanks!Read More »

Renting a Cargo Case in San Francisco?

Anybody know of a bike shop in San Francisco that rents cargo cases? I need to transport my bike on a plane next week, but I don't do it often enough to warrant buying one. I guess my option is to just use a cardboard bike box ... I did that once in the past, but I'd rather put my new $2500 bike ... Read More »