Old Man Mountain Sherpa Rear Rack Extras

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)
Weight : 517 grams

• Dimensions: 5.5" x 11.5"
  • Fits hardtail and suspension frames
  • Fits bikes without braze-on eyelets
  • Fits bikes with disc-brakes
  • 45 pound load capacity
  • 6061-T6, Aircraft grade, tubular aluminum
  • All joints are double-welded by hand

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by chris a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2013

Strengths:    Strong and rock solid-
    Easy to mount with the supplied extra long QR skewer taking most of the weight-
    Braces to the v-brake mounts while still allowing use of th ev-brakes-

Weaknesses:    weighs 740 grams- too heavy
    Had to improvise my own attachment points for my pannier bottom hooks to hook onto-
    OMM was claiming a weight of 540 grams so I wouldn't have bought them if I'd known they were really 740 grams-

Bottom Line:
    Seven years ago I bought OMM front and rear Sherpa racks for my Klein Mantra. You can read my separate review about how much I hated the front rack but the rear rack has served me well. I haul groceries and construction materials and tools around town and have toured for many thousands of miles. The rack is rock solid but the platform has bent down a bit in the middle from weight bouncing up there but still works OK. The black is all worn off to show bare aluminum where my pannier hooks attach and rub on the sides of the rack. I was miffed that I paid $125 and had to improvise my own attachment points for the bottom hooks of my panniers to hook onto. I rigged stainless bolts and washers to make a post sticking out slightly on each side at the bottom for the pannier hooks to grab onto. The stock rack had no place for bottom pannier hooks to attach too. Seven years ago OMM was claiming a weight of 540 grams but now they have come clean and claim something like 900 grams. My 26" Sherpa disc rack weighs 740 grams (1 lb 10.4oz) so I want to switch to the Tubus titanium rack that weighs less than 1 lb but costs more.

Duration Product Used:   Seven Years

Purchased At:   OMM

Bike Setup:   1998 Klien Mantra Race- Stock except for Serfas HP RX seat for blessed relief on long tours-

Submitted by Lenny Taylor a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2002

Strengths:    One of a kind product to fit bikes with disc brakes. If you've got disc brakes, your only choice are the racks from Old Man Mountain

Weaknesses:    None. - When they designed their product they didn't cut corners. It's rock solid.

Bottom Line:
    It's nice when a product lives up to it's description. On top of that, the people at Old Man Mountain are some of the easiest people to deal with. They handled all my questions and made recommendations that were appropriate for my needs. I'm delighted with both the product and their company. I highly recommend them to all. Having said all that, the product is a bit more expensive than the competition. The extra hardware required for the special mounting system drives the price.

Purchased At:   Old Man Mountain

Similar Products Used:   I looked at a variety of racks and was finally steered to Old Man Mountain by a competitor.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail Mountain bike set up for road touring