Old Man Mountain Sherpa Front Rack Extras

Weight : 445 grams

• Dimensions: 5.5" x 9.25"
  • Compatible with your suspension fork
  • 6061-T6, Aircraft grade, tubular aluminum
  • All joints are double-welded by hand
  • 40 pound load capacity

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2013

Strengths:    Strong
    Easy to mount with longer axle QR skewer taking most of the weight
    Top braces to v-brake bolts while still allowing v-brake use

Weaknesses:    Dangerous fork flop because the weight is too high and far forward from the axle--
    The 26" disk version I got weighed 605 grams--(1 lb 5.3oz)-- too heavy---

Bottom Line:
    7 years ago I put OMM sherpa front and rear racks on my Klein Mantra for general hauling around town and touring. I still have the rear rack which has served me well but the front rack had such adverse effects on the handling I sold it after a year and a few crashes. I was running Ortlieb front panniers with a total weight for each pannier of 10 pounds. I even weigh the panniers before I leave on tour to keep the weight evenly balanced from side to side. This rack seemed very sturdy but it puts the weight too far forward and too high so the forks were always wanting to flop to one side or the other. The weight was too far forward of the axle so I was always fighting the handlebars to go straight. After a few crashes that shouldn't have happened I bought a Delta low rider rack that clamps to my suspension fork lowers and my v-brake bosses and sold the OMM Sherpa. The Delta is much lighter and has worked well for many years. I did loose some ground clearance but with the same weight in my panniers the bike is rock steady and solid so I can steer with relaxed palms most of the time. I hauled construction materials and groceries around town for years and have done many thousands of loaded touring miles so believe me when I say this front rack is dangerous. I very rarely put anything on top of the rack because then it is even more unstable but the OMM Sherpa was unstable even with just the panniers. Buy front low rider racks and forget about putting anything on top of the front rack.

Duration Product Used:   7 years

Purchased At:   OMM

Bike Setup:   1998 Klein Mantra Race--stock except for Serfas RX seat for touring comfort

Submitted by Lenny Taylor a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, California, USA

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2002

Strengths:    Well thought out mounting design for cycles with front suspension forks and disc brakes. Puts the weight on your axle, not your suspension so you don't have to redo your setup every time you load your panniers up front.

Weaknesses:    I had to ream out the fittings that came with the rack to allow the skewer to fit through them. This was true on both racks I purchased. Since they supply both the skewer and the fittings, you'd think they'd check the clearances a bit better. It was just a two minute fix, but it irritated me to have to do their quality control. Having said that, the racks are outstanding and fill a unique need in the market. I highly recommend them to all.

Bottom Line:
    If you've got disc brakes on your ride, then Old Man Mountain racks are your only real option for real racks. I tried a rack that mounted to the seat-post but returned it to REI after a couple of weeks. It was too limited in what it could carry. The people at Old Man Mountain were great when I called with questions. I give them, and their product a 9.9 out of 10.

Purchased At:   Product closeout from a pannier shop

Similar Products Used:   This is a one-of-a-kind product built for the special requirements of those with disc brakes on their rides.

Bike Setup:   Hard-tail mountain bike set up for road touring with Arkel GT-42 panniers in back riding on a Sherpa rack and Arkel GT-30s up front on the front Sherpa rack.