Old Man Mountain Red Rock Expedition Rear Rack Extras

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)
Weight : 609 grams

• Dimensions: 5.5" x 17"
  • Extra-long top plate protects you and your gear from the elements and allows for extra heel clearance.
  • 6061-T6, Aircraft grade, tubular aluminum.
  • All joints are double-welded by hand.
  • 60 pound load capacity.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by ranier a Cross Country Rider from Schonaich, Germany

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2011

Strengths:    sturdy, yet light

Weaknesses:    paint finish chipping in some spots

Bottom Line:
    I've used this rack for three years, mainly commuting and the occasional weekend tour. I mounted it using the dropout eyelets and the v-brake post mounts which create a nice sturdy mount to the bike frame. It can take a pretty heavy load - loaded panniers for touring, two boxes filled with brake rotors(heavy!) and a pair of mini-kegs overstuffed into panniers. The top plate does a decent job functioning as a small rear fender. A quick hose down and wipe will make it look new if I ever get around to it. It's part of a tool and it works well.

Favorite Trail:   Schwarzwald, Schonbuch

Purchased At:   direct online

Bike Setup:   commuter converted Specialized Stumpy HT with v-brakes

Submitted by Bill P a Weekend Warrior from Warrnambool

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2011

Strengths:    Stiffness. Ease of mounting. Light weight

Weaknesses:    I peeled off the sticker, didn't like it. Mounting struts should be dyed the same finish as the rack- cosmetic purposes.

Bottom Line:
    In my experience racks which fail usually fail from fatigue as a result of sustained 'wobbling' during use. Typically side to side. Rack stiffness, secure mounts and weight reduction reduce this. This is my first hollow aluminium rack and you could dink your mother in law on it. (Dink as in meaning to carry pillion). I'm going to buy some more.

Favorite Trail:   Grampians

Purchased At:   Cheeky Monkey

Similar Products Used:   Karrimor steel, Homemade steel, Blackburn Aluminium, Giant Aluminium, Pletscher, Topeak Explorer, Yeah (sp?), plus others.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail mtb with disc brakes. I mounted this one onto canti bosses using modified canti posts. I'm going to buy some more OMM Redrock racks for our new fat bikes.

Submitted by Rod Richards a Weekend Warrior from Denton, TX

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2005

Strengths:    light weight (is this so important in a rack?)

Weaknesses:    Flimsy, poor instructions, ill-fitting, cheesy aluminum hardware

Bottom Line:
    When you pay $90 for a rack made by a company that ONLY makes racks, you expect to get quality. The dropout attachment points on this rack are far too wide. As I tightened the supplied dropout eyelet bolts to take up a bit of the slack, the bolt head snapped off, leaving the bolt stuck in my frame. I did not apply excessive force. I was already irritable at this point and I lost my temper and banged my fist downward on top of the rack (still attached to the bike). The whole top surface of the rack buckled considerably. (Yes, I realize that I have some anger management problems to work out. :)) When I realized I had ruined it anyway, I decided to see how tough it was. I was able to rip the rack in half with my bare hands (I am not exceptionally strong). I would not trust this rack to carry my gear on a loaded bike tour. Aluminum is not well-suited for this--it is weak, fatigues easily, and, unlike steel, is not easily repaired if it breaks.

Purchased At:   oldmanmountain.com

Similar Products Used:   Zefal Rackoon

Bike Setup:   Giant FCR-3

Submitted by Katherine Wallace a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2003

Strengths:    Rock solid

Weaknesses:    finish, price

Bottom Line:
    Used this rack for a 10,000 km tour through Asia and SE Asia. We went over some of the crappiest road construction, muddiest mud and ruttiest roads, and this rack just did not budge. With all the gear on it, no matter how it was slung on, this rack carried the load, never moved, creaked, cracked or groaned. It was THE most trouble-free piece of equipment we had on the whole trip. Check the mounting bolts every few months, and that was the extent of it. Some of the finish has come off, but I take the blame for treating it like crap, along with a few train, bus and aircraft handlers! The price was up there, but consider how much its going to cost you to get a replacement shipped overnight to you in the middle of nowhere! Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   backroad near Zhongdian, China