Old Man Mountain Cold Springs Expedition Rear Rack Extras

Weight : 607 grams

• Dimensions: 6.5" x 12.25"
  • Fits hardtail and suspension frames
  • Fits bikes without braze-on eyelets
  • Fits bikes with disc-brakes
  • 50+ pound load capacity
  • 6061-T6, Aircraft grade, tubular aluminum
  • All joints are double-welded by hand

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by joboo a Cross Country Rider from Hibbing, Mn. U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to hook up to bike. Strength of rack.

Bottom Line:
    This rack is the bomb!! I will never need another rack..... Ahh....a front rack, this spring.
    You will not go wrong dropping the coin for this rack!! You get what you pay for!!

Favorite Trail:   The Old Hull Road

Purchased At:   OMM

Similar Products Used:   None, I went for the best 1st!!

Bike Setup:   Surly Pugsley

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, fits bikes with disc brakes

Bottom Line:
    Great rack. My wife and I both have one of these and they have done a great job with carrying heavy loads. To put it into perspective, you can tour for a month with one of these without using front racks (we are totally self sufficient and carry a tent). If you need a front rack with one of these, you're either carrying too much or you're on an extended tour and you want a few "luxuries".

The best part about the rack is that it can be fitted to MTBs with disc brakes - not many others can.

Ortlieb Back Roller Plus panniers fit the tubing perfectly and there is absolutely no play. Great product.

Purchased At:   Cheeky Monkey, Sydney

Similar Products Used:   None - went for the best straight away

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX890 for touring

Submitted by Seb a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2005

Strengths:    -Strong like bull. Forced to carry double loads (touring partner crapped out on hills) at times that were so heavy my frame started to flex a lot near the bottom bracket when going up steep inclines. Surprised that the frame held up... really surprised that the rack did!
    -Disc, FS Compatible. If you get the DISC version, you can mount a Cold Springs even if you have disc brakes or a full suspension rig, no problem. I've ran Hayes and Avid Juicys with plenty of room to spare. You can mount it even if you don't have any brake bosses, they can also clamp to the seatstays.
    -Channing. The head guy at OMM will personally answer any question you have. Give him a shout if you're even considering getting a rack, he'll give it straight.
    -So stable, you can completely forget it's there unless you have a dynamic load.

Weaknesses:    No real weaknesses, just points:
    -A bit short lengthwise for some longer trunk bags, not a big deal though, just being thorough.
    -The skewer/lever might stick out a little and could rub a spot in the back of your panniers if they extend that low.
    -A bit wider than your average rack, makes a bigger front profile to catch wind and tree branches on your bags I find.
    -Made from Aluminum I believe, so if you ever have a failure somehow in a developing country, you might have a harder time finding someone who can weld it.

Bottom Line:
    An excellent heavy-duty rear rack with compatibility for full suspension or disc brakes. You don't have to worry about it at all once you get it installed. One of the best pieces of bike gear I own.

Purchased At:   http://oldmanmountain.com

Similar Products Used:   -OMM Cold Springs Front.
    -Lesser racks.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail MTB with discs, LX/XT componentry.

Submitted by Tony Kim a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2005

Strengths:    Super Strong.
    Interface is more secure than traditional eyelets.
    Customer service. Channing Hammond is da man!

Weaknesses:    None. I try to find as many weaknesses in any product, but I can honestly say there is none here.

Trying to explain to other tourers that this rack's attachment interface is better than a traditional design.

Bottom Line:
    I was the second reviewer of this product and I'm back to report another follow-up. Since my last review, I've used this rack for the Icefields Parkway in Canada in July 2002. I carried only 12 lbs of gear since I didn't camp. Make no mistake: any rack would've been just as good as the Old Man on this trip.

But here is where Old Man is king:

This past January/February 2005, I used this rack to cycle the Carretera Austral in Chile, Argentinian Patagonia, and Uruguay. Fully loaded. 1200 miles. 90% on gravel guaranteed to shred your tires. On some stretches, I camped on the side of the road since I was miles away from civilization. If my equipment failed, I was basically screwed. Not once on this entire trip did I have to make any adjustments to this rack. None. Zilch. Nada. And as always, I would run into other tourers who asked me about the attachment interface, especially the hub. In other words they wanted to know (presumably) when it would fail. All I can say is, I'm not the one who needs to carry a bucket full of loctite because their racks keep rattling loose from the eyelets. When was the last time your brake bosses came loose? When was the last time your hubs popped out of your frame? Never. And these are the two attachment points used for the Old Man. Brilliant design. I have noticed on some internet forums that complain this rack is expensive. Oh really? Next time you're in the middle of friggin' nowhere (i.e. Iceland and Bolivia where I took Old Man) and your other rack fails, you're gonna think twice about that extra money you saved.

Purchased At:   www.oldmanmountain.com

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn and Jandd racks. They're good racks, but they ain't Old Man.

Bike Setup:   Yeti A.R.C. - the greatest hardtail ever made!

Submitted by Ove a Cross Country Rider from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2003

Strengths:    Strength. Fits every bike. Tricked out. Looks. Great welds.

Weaknesses:    The super custom mega-rad no weakness rack.

Bottom Line:
    This is by far the most trick and rad rear rack that you can own. I use it every day and I love it. Super strong and stylin. Go buy one, because racks are the way to go. Why drive? I take my laptop and 50 lbs worth of stuff back and forth every day. Skip the drive to work and skip the gym at lunch - Bike to Work!!!! Support the small local guys!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Las Cruces

Purchased At:   Won from Bike to Work week!!!

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn, vetta etc.....

Bike Setup:   I have lots of bikes. This is currently on my commuter bike.
    I use it every day with rear packs. No fuss.

Submitted by Tony from New York

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2002

Strengths:    Solidly built. Ingenious design.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    A little background: I've cycle toured across 33 countries (not trying to brag, just trying to make a point), so I'm pretty experienced knowing what equipment works and what doesn't. I have never liked the usual braze-on/eyelet setup used in every bike. After a while, and under rough terrain, the rack bolts usually come undone due to constant vibration. However, with Old Man Mountain, I never worry about that since the weight is placed directly on the axle hubs. I'll admit, the first time I used it, I kept looking behind just to see if this rack didn't pop loose. But at the end of the day, I knew it would stay on, no problems. The biggest advantage is that the rack/bike frame interface is more secure using the Old Man setup than a traditional one. Nothing really wrong with the latter since the vast majority have done more staggering tours than me using them. I just feel more confident using Old Man.