Mud Machine DH Fender Extras

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)

• Mounts to your fork via star-nut
  • 5 different brackets to choose from

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Thomas Vacek a Cross Country Rider from Ithaca, NY

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2003

Strengths:    Before mudmachine, my face was covered in road slime. After mudmachine, my entire front body stayed dry and dirt free. You save money in the long-run by not having to do as many loads of laundry! It's worth it

Bottom Line:
    BUY THIS FENDER. If you commute using your bicycle to work or on campus (if you are a college student), then you need this fender! If you are a downhill racer, then you DEFINITELY NEED THIS FENDER. It really is worth every penny!

Purchased At:   www.mudmachine.com

Similar Products Used:   I have talked to people with T.H.E fenders, and other fenders. Simply put, all other fenders are crap.

Bike Setup:   2nd generation TREK y-11, hope m4 brakes, sid race rear shock, shimano XTR crankset, chris king ISO hubs laced to WTB laserdisc rims, XTR cassette, marzocchi x0fly fork, salsa skewers - THE LIST GOES ON

Submitted by Aquaholic a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, unique, sturdy mounting bracket, well engineered

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    If you want a strong, well thought out fender, then check this one out. The ABS plastic is burly, not flimsy like the competition's fender. The carbon fiber plastic looks sexy. It has an old-style Yamaha YZ Moto-X look to it as well.

But the thing that impresses me most about this product is the company behind it. The folks at Mudmachine went out of their way to see that I was satisfied with the fender, Initially, the starnut that holds the fender to the crown was to big for my new Fox Fork. After some correspondence with the folks at Mudmachine they came up with a modified starnut that worked out perfectly. They really made me feel like I was pampered. Their followup is incredible! A lot of aftermarket companies would be best served to take note on how this company takes care of it's customers.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Purchased At:   www.mudmachine.com

Similar Products Used:   T.H.E.

Bike Setup:   Turner XCE, Fox Forx.

Submitted by Tony Linder a Weekend Warrior from Stamfird

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2001

Strengths:    ease of installation, good looks and quality craftsmanship

Weaknesses:    Too short, my ass was wet and that was the entire reason for purchasing the rear fender

Bottom Line:
    needs to be re-engineered and some length to the fender

Bike Setup:   1998 fisher level betty f1, hayes, rock shox, azonic stem, xtr

Submitted by Loch Miwa a Weekend Warrior from Chicago

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2000

Strengths:    Good coverage keeps the mud off you and the bike.
    Thick, molded plastic is incredibly strong.
    Very well made and they look great.

Weaknesses:    Since the brackets are steel, they are a little heavy.
    If you count grams, this fender isn't for you.

Bottom Line:
    Having seen the T.H.E. and other fenders in local bike stores, I wasn't very excited about paying $40 bucks for a couple of pieces of very thin plastic. Between me and the bike, weight really isn't an issue, so it's well worth the extra few ounces to get some REALLY high quality fenders that will last a while.

The coverage is great with either the DH (bigger than I needed) or the XC (the one I have). The rear fender (which mounts like a brake booster) is great also.

I can't say enough good things about these fenders or the service I have received from the company.

If you want great fenders that work well, look good, and will last, BUY THESE!!!

Purchased At:   www.mudmachine.com

Similar Products Used:   Also purchased the rear fender!

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper FSR w/ Judy XL DC fork

Submitted by Geoff Graham a Downhiller from Pullman

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2000

Strengths:    Superb customer service!!! The fenders are big and beefy and can take the many over-the-bar encounters I tend to do. Not too many people have them so they're sort of an exotic accessory. When I go to clean my bike I don't have much work to do because the fenders keep most of the dirt and mud off the bike. They really do their job when it comes to mud and they are the best looking fenders out there by far.

Weaknesses:    The only thing I have found is the rear fender brace tends to bend a lot due to the generous tire clearance which it was designed for. This repetitive bending causes work hardening which makes the ductile spring steel brittle and breakage occurs. With any good aftermarket component there may be some neccessary tweakage to ensure complete utopia.

Bottom Line:
    Thank you Grant!!! Listen up everyone! If you are looking for fenders then look to these. The fenders themselves are top notch and very dourable. The front fender is also the only one out there that resembles a YZ fender with the shaped front section. Anyways there was a small error when it came to the sticker color for my rear fender. I e-mailed Grant and he took care of it right away. I recently broke the rear fender brace due to repetitive bending and once again he took care of it. This is by far the Best customer service I have ever received! These fenders do what their supposed to do. If every company had this type of customer service then Universal Cycles might not have gotten my order wrong THREE times! I wasn't going to review these fenders because they just sit there doing their job. I can't speak highly enough of these fenders or this exceptional customer service after I got an e-mail from Grant saying he'd take care of the broken brace for me. Thank you once again Grant. Listen to what people are saying about this company.

Favorite Trail:   anything downhill

Similar Products Used:   Nothing of this caliber.

Bike Setup:   Bullit with MX-6, hays hydro, lots of Race Face and of course the DH front and rear fenders!

Submitted by Tom Rodgers a Downhiller from Hickory, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2000

Strengths:    Durability, looks, repairability, function.

Weaknesses:    Weight (it's a downhill bike, who cares?)

Bottom Line:
    First, let me stress that although I have been riding mountain bikes for almost 10 years now, I had my first downhill race yesterday. I knew that conditions at Beech Mountain (NC) would be very wet and muddy, so I realized I would need fenders. As I would be using my everyday freeride/XC bike for the race, I was a little worried about how to set it up. I called up this company, now called Mud Machine (not Sex Macheen) and got ahold of Grant. In talking to him I learned that he was a downhill racer and so I asked him a few general questions about racing. He was extremely helpful and super nice in helping me figure out how to set my bike up for optimal performance. He also made certain that my fenders went out next day air (as I had of course waited until the last minute to order). When I got my package the next day, I found not only my merchandise but also a handwritten note expressing how much he enjoyed helping me out and wishing me luck in my race. As for the fenders themselves, they were well made, good looking, and easy to mount up to my bike. They did a great job of keeping mud from getting thrown up on me during the race, and took 4 (yes, 4) HARD crashes over two runs without damage. I had several people at the race remark on the cool design of the rear fender and the apparent durability over the much more common THE fenders (of which I saw several broken examples, including one that sheared in half from the wind while being carried on a car's roof rack). To sum it up, GREAT customer service, excellent product, and the knowledge that if this guy ever decides to manufacture any other DH related products, I'll buy them. I'm getting his numberplate next. BTW, I didn't do too badly, considering it was my first race and a VERY tough course, I finished in the top 1/3rd of the class (beginner). I'm hooked!

Favorite Trail:   Salem Lake

Similar Products Used:   Zefal junk fenders

Bike Setup:   GT I-Drive XCR 1500, formula discs, Marzocchi Z-1, Wildgripper DH tires, full XT/XTR, Hell Bent Ti bars

Submitted by t isaacs a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2000

Strengths:    durability, ease of installation, EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE

Weaknesses:    none in my humble opinion

Bottom Line:
    First things first, this is the best customer service I have received in the 10 years that I've been involved in bicycling. A small mix up in shipping was quickly acknowledged and corrected and handled better than any retail experience I've ever had. DURABILITY! High quality plastic is used in these fenders unlike the salad tray construction of other companies. Ease of installation was greatly appreciated as well. Thinking about fenders? Check out www.sexmacheen.com you can't go wrong.