Maya Cycle Bike Trailer Extras

• Maya quick-release
  • Elastic straps

Submitted by Mike

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2013

Strengths:    I am surprised with Jim's review.
It sounds like not Maya Cycle: the wing nuts are not welded, but custed with nylon inserts, the plastic bearing is permanently glued to the pivot tube not thrown separately tn the box. The price on the website is $249. I think what Jim is writing about is a cheep copy of Maya Cycle, which is sold recently on the Web by a Chineese distributor.
Our experience with original Maya is very positive.

Weaknesses:    The old design of quick release you need to get used to. It is functional, but the new QR (sold separately) is much better.

Bottom Line:
Original Maya Cycle sold on Maya Cycle website is an excellent product!

Submitted by 604Eli a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2011

Strengths:    Extremely lightweight.
Very Compact.
Can handle in excess of 60lbs for such a light and compact trailer.
The kickstand not only allow the trailer to keep upright, but also the whole bike.
The wheelbarrow mode allows for easy transport of your load from in and out of buildings, grocery stores etc.

Weaknesses:    -The wingnut that connects the fork to the axle makes contact with my derailleur as I tighten it. I had to shave off a bit off the wingnut for it to clear. One can use a regular nut in place of the wingnut to resolve this issue.
-Makes a lot of squeaky noises while riding. A little bit of grease on the fork joints and skewer connectors easily fixes this.
-Not enough bicycle shops carry the product locally. In most cases, you have to order through the website and have to deal with shipping/delivery etc.

Bottom Line:
Extremely lightweight, utilizes a kickstand and have handles that fold out that turn the trailer into a wheelbarrow. These three features alone which I believe do not exist in other competing trailers are worth their weight in gold. When riding with a trailer, you should only be focussed on the riding and not worry about what you're pulling. The Maya Cycle Trailer eases a lot of these concerns when having to carry a load with your bicycle.
My full reviews are here
and here

I am not affiliated with the company, I am merely a big fan. It is indeed an ingenious design.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere where bikes are allowed.

Purchased At:   Mayacycle Direct

Similar Products Used:   I don't own either products but I have tested a BOB and a Burley trailer in my quest of finding the right trailer for me.

Bike Setup:   Used primarily on a Cannondale touring bike. Also used on my full suspension XC bike.

Submitted by Barbara a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2011

Strengths:    Kickstand is super convenient. Handle bars for wheelbarrow mode are cool. Trails behind bike beautifully with no fishtail effect. Barely feel it behind me unless I have a lot of weight.

Weaknesses:    Quick release takes some getting used to.

Bottom Line:
I think Maya Cycle is a great design. I bike ride in the city and this trailer in particular is convenient because it's not as long and bulky as other trailers and the kickstand makes parking super easy. It makes my commute easier because I can bring what I need with me without leaving anything behind, ever! It functions beautifully and it's single wheel stays directly behind my bike so I don't worry about clipping any curbs/pedestrians. Simply put, for someone who doesn't own a car, it makes my errand running and daily riding much more fun and convenient. I love it.

Purchased At: