Masterlock Lock and Load Extras

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

• Innovative new 2-in-1 product. High security U-Lock doubles as a cargo carrier. Ideal for the street, off road or on campus. Lock & Load features a corrosion-resistant brass cylinder with an anti-drill cover plate. Its double locking shackle increases the pull strength of the lock and the mounting bracket is designed to mount securely on most bike seat posts.
  • The mounting bracket is constructed of a unique graphite-composite resin that's weather resistant and strong, yet lightweight. Covered shackle and lock body protects bike finish and surroundings. Includes our unconditional, full lifetime guarantee and a free $1000 anti-theft guarantee. It's the best of all worlds.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by balaz a Cross Country Rider from Tokyo

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2006

Strengths:    strong lock, stiff carrier, according to its specs.

Weaknesses:    ergonomically insane design

Bottom Line:
    I love the idea, was even happy to pay a little bit more than for the other locks, but the manufacturer forgot to mention one extremely important feature of the design: you can only use it with city/comfort bike seats, that have wide shapes, otherwise the holder of the carrier cuts into your upper legs every single time you stretch them while pedaling. forget it for longer treks! if they had mentionned this, I would have no problems at all. will try to get my money back next week. the design of the product is nice but not ergonomic at all!

Favorite Trail:   Pamir highway, Tajikistan

Purchased At:   Ikebukuro bike shop, Tokyo

Bike Setup:   Marin hardtail cromoly frame, XTR, DX components

Submitted by David Chien a Weekend Warrior from Westminster, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2002

Strengths:    Easy assembly and attachment. Includes rubber spacers to fit most seat tubes. Works really well overall as a lock and as a small carrier. Only holds up to about 15-20lbs. rated, but works when you only want to carry day-trip stuff and not have to worry about yet another part to attach to the bike. Nice and sensible - perfect thing for people who want to reduce the junk attached to their bikes, but want a lock that does more than just be a lock.

Weaknesses:    Can't use lock and carrier at the same time since they're the same thing. But I find that I'm only carrying things that I'm taking with me when I've locked the bike up somewhere.

Bottom Line:
    After a year riding with this, haven't found any problems with it at all. Nicely rounded edges and well-built design. My dream lock. Getting another for my latest bike, too!

Exactly what I'd want as a carrier/lock-combo since I'm not the type to leave something on my carrier when I've left my bike locked up (not around here, no siree! it'll vanish faster than poof!), so I have never worried about the problem that would occur if you wanted to leave something on the carrier when the bike is locked.

Purchased At:   masterlocks.com

Tahoe Sierra 100 - lock and load!

I'm excited. New course looks sweet. Thanks Jimmy and crew for your tireless backbreaking support to help bring these events to our backyard here in the lovely sierra foothills! For those racing, I'll be the guy on the fancy pants Ti singlespeed curled up in a ball on the final 8 mile climb, pl ... Read More »