Home | Reviews | Extras | J.

J. P. Weigle Framesaver Extras

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

J. P. Weigle Framesaver

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Strengths:    Does what it claims

Weaknesses:    Messy application
Smells (so what)

Bottom Line:
Been using this on all my steel bikes ever since I trashed my Bottechia years ago due to not using FrameSaver. Haven't had a problem since. The application is quite messy, but you can easily wipe it off afterwards. You have to totally wipe off the bottom bracket area or else it'll casue the BB to be a bit sticky during insertion. I hear the Boeshield is just as good as Framesaver, maybe even better. I don't know; I have haven't tried it myself. Framesaver is one of the cheapest products that'll do more to protect your steel frame than any other product.

Bike Setup:   Tommasini Sintesi w/ Chorus
Yeti ARC w/ XT

Submitted by Rick B a Cross Country Rider from The nation's armpit - NJ

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2003

Strengths:    Works.

Weaknesses:    Messy to apply.

Bottom Line:
My first couple of steel bikes formed rust after 2 or 3 years. The third bike I got, I put Framesaver in it. No rust at all, even after 8 years.
When you put it in a frame, be careful not to spray it into a small area, like a chainstay bridge. It will squirt back out because of the pressure. Make sure you have the floor covered well, or do it outside. The stuff will drip out as you shake and twist the frame around to spread the Framesaver inside the tubes.
Now go ride.

Favorite Trail:   I like dirt. Period.

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Lots of steel MTBs.

Submitted by Zandro a Cross-Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: September 10, 1999

Strengths:
works

Weaknesses:
be careful applying it

Bottom Line:
there's a reason many frame-builders use/recommend this stuff.

tested or demo'ed only

krylon

Submitted by SP a cross-country rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: January 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

I ran across this product recently and have rustproofed 2 bikes with it. In the past I've used a turkey baster
and either motor oil or linseed oil. While I've never had a rust out, I found it really messy to deal with. This
product comes in a small aerosol can and seems to be simliar to automotive rustproofing. When wet, it is
very runny and finds its way all through your frame, so be prepared in case it finds vent holes before you do!
When dry it remains tacky to the touch and does not rub off easily. Over spray or runs need to be wiped
up with a mild solvent. I did some unscientific testing on a piece of bare steel which has been exposed to
rain/snow/road salt and heavy surface rust has developed on the unprotected areas, not under FS.

Is J.P Weigle framesaver discontinued?

Just wanted to see if anyone knows the status of the JP Weigle framesaver spray. I haven't been able to find any anywhere and just wondering if anyone had got word that it had been discontinued or not. It would be a total bummer if it had. ThanksRead More »