Incredibell Safety Bell Extras

4.75/5 (36 Reviews)

The Incredibell Illuminator Bell is the safest thing you can ride with besides a helmet: a bell and superbright LED all in one.

Submitted by solidass a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2013

Strengths:    Simple, compact, durable

Weaknesses:    The painted models sound muted compared to the metal models

Bottom Line:
I tested (listened to) many models before ordering the silver Incredibell original. I don't think the black (painted) version sounds as good. My other choice was the brass model, but the yellowish metal would've stood out. My silver bell is indeed "silver" as opposed to a "chrome" that I had thought. No biggie.

The simple *DING* sound is more resonant than the painted version. And, of course, these bells are much more emphatic, mature, and dignified than others on the market. I also think that this Original is better than the various other Incredibell models.

I have mine positioned with bell side up for best dispersion of sound waves. The strike hammer is rotated (a nice feature missing in other brands) for an easy second-knuckle-on-index-finger trigger.

You don't give up appearance or coolness for trail safety when using this bell.

Submitted by ehigh a Downhiller from San Luis Obispo

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2011

Strengths:    It's small and it is loud. The high frequency sound of this bell is hard to mistake. I really appreciate how small this bell is. I can easily get it close to my handle bar grips.

Weaknesses:    Well, I didn't really expect to get an air horn in my bell; so I don't think I have any weaknesses. This bell accommodates what I want in a bell.

Bottom Line:
This is probably the best bell you can find.
I looked for a little while, and I really don't think you can find a better one. I suppose it is possible to get a better one, but this is a great bell for very little money. It is discrete and loud.

Damn good bell.

Favorite Trail:   Manzanita

Similar Products Used:   Electra Chrome Ringer Bell

Bike Setup:   Norco Range 3 with some after market fancy stuff.

Submitted by Mike T. a Cross Country Rider from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Strengths:    Simplicity. Design. Price. Quality.

Weaknesses:    Hmmmm......ahhh.....errr.....none!

Bottom Line:
This is the tool that everyone who rides on multi-use trails needs. The use of one labels you as a considerate person. If you're a selfish moron then don't waste your money. Remember, the attitude of every cyclist reflects back on all of us.
This bell has a great "tinnngg" tone that's perfect - not obnoxious that people mistake for a "Get OFF my trail!" noise. Many trail hikers say thanks to me after I've given them a nice warning of my presence.
I have maybe four of them, have used them for years and have had no problems with them. See their website to choose the right one for you - www.mirrycle.com

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   Other bells that I don't remember. None were as good as this bell.

Submitted by Ken Merkel a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, Nebraska

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2007

Strengths:    Nice, crisp, loud brass bell ring. Quite pleasant, melodic "ding-ding" sound. Easy to sort out that sound from the surrounding background noises. Recognizable as a bicycle bell and not something else. Pretty little bright shiny sucker. Quite LOUD for its size.

Weaknesses:    Not much, unless you figure in the time my bike fell over and yep--it "landed" on the bell. I had to mess with the bell for a while to get it working again. Plus no exploded views of the bell found on the Web as a repair guide. Bell doesn't come apart anyhow.

Bottom Line:
Women hear the bell well, because of the high-pitched "DING", which female ears pick up well.

Men often stop, turn around, look down on the ground for their dropped pocket change.

Kids often say, "Hey, Mom....The Ding-Ding Man. I want some ice cream."

The bell works better in the high wind than my voice. People walking the trail with earphones still hear the bell.

I like the bell a lot. I've just bought my third brass Incredibell. The one with the ratcheting dinger handle.

Favorite Trail:   Big Papio Trail

Purchased At:   Trek Store - Omaha

Similar Products Used:   "I Love My Bike" bicycle bell. American Flag bicycle bell.
[Both kinda crappy by comparison to Incredibell.]

"Coming up..Left Side...LEFT Side!!!!! Dammit..PICK ONE SIDE AND STAY THERE....PLEASE!!!!"

Bike Setup:   '80s ["Vintage"] Cannondale Criterium Classic Powder Blue Shimano 105 [except Dura Ace left shifter handle] Mountain Bike Riser Bars 700X23C

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Novato, CA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2007

Strengths:    Compact, sounds good.

Weaknesses:    Cows do no heed its warning.

Bottom Line:
I got the brass duet, mounted upside-down just left of my rear brake lever. You can't see it from the front of my low riser bars. Nice "ding-ding" sound, easy to actuate, small, not too obnoxious. What else can one say - it's a bell.

Favorite Trail:   Pogonip

Purchased At:   eBikestop

Similar Products Used:   Retroactive "sorry" as I pick my bike out of the poison oak opposite the blind corner.

Bike Setup:   2006 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper FSR 120:

Submitted by cecivic a Cross Country Rider from Near Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2003

Strengths:    Loud, compact size, flexible mounting options

Weaknesses:    none at all

Bottom Line:
Despite its small size, it's loud enough to get you noticed. I always use this, whether I'm on the trails or on the road. For me, it's a lot easier to use this than clicking my brake levers or to shout "on your left". I like that the dinger can be rotated 360 degrees, giving you many options on how and where to mount this bell.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods

Purchased At:   Cycleloft, Burlington, MA

Similar Products Used:   clicking brake levers

Bike Setup:   2 wheels, handlebars

Submitted by Ed a Weekend Warrior from Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Strengths:    Good looking, light, easy to use, works

Weaknesses:    none really.

Bottom Line:
I picked up the Incredibell Thumbdinger, which has a thumb gear rather than a tab. It doesn't look like it would be quite as user friendly as the original style Incredibell, but it is! It's a pleasure to use. The Thumbdinger actually looks to be a repackaged Japanese bell called "Tokyo Bell". It's lightweight, and feels pretty solid. I wonder if Mirrycle will ever go upmarket with their bells and start making fancy alloy ones. Not sure how long the plastic will hold up.

Purchased At:   mirrycle.com

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Nowhere

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Strengths:    Loud, light, won't jingle

Weaknesses:    Does not do windows, wash dishes. Not very good at talking the dog for a walk (but useful for calling it to dinner).

Bottom Line:
Buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Minuteman Bikeway

Similar Products Used:   Crappy bells.

Bike Setup:   Cheap bike for daily commuting.

Submitted by Dan W a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR USA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2001

Strengths:    More than loud enough for signaling peds and bikers. Light weight. Only takes up 1/4" of precious bar space.

Weaknesses:    Not loud enough to signal drivers.

Bottom Line:
This bell is LOUD for what it is intended for, which is a good thing. Loud enough to force you to use it before you're bearing down on the ped (or you scare the cr8p out of them), which is good because it gives them time to react that way.

Buy it if: you share a road/path/lane with walkers & bikers. Which you do.

Don't buy it if: you're a doofus. Only reason not to have a bell. State law (here in OR) requires an audible warning when overtaking a pedestrian. That can be a vocal warning, but "on your left" or anything else just confuses people and can be antagonizing. So get a bell. This is the best one.

Also buy a loud horn if: you share a road with motor vehicles.

Favorite Trail:   All of Oregon

Purchased At:   River City

Similar Products Used:   "On your left" "No, I'M on YOUR left!"

Bike Setup:   93 Fuji rigid 21sp MTB, 01 Bianchi Volpe 27sp cyclocross

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from Hunterdon County, NJ

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2001

Strengths:    Loud sound for its size. Very pleasant resonance.

Weaknesses:    Not loud enough to effectively warn vehicles.

Bottom Line:
An excellent little bell, very loud and well resonating. More than enough for the trail, ok for warning pedestrians but not loud enough for vehicles. It's just fun to ring too. The XL gives a more solid sound than the original, and the duet is a much better version of the old spinner "brrring-brrring" bells. I purchased directly from the manufacturer (Mirrycle.com) and they were extremely pleasant and helpful. Wonderful people. I don't know what they were thinking when they made the one for the ends of the handlebar though, do they know the thumb is on the other side of the grip? How are you supposed to ring it?

Purchased At:   Directly from Mirrycle

Similar Products Used:   Collisions

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500

Submitted by Charles a Cross Country Rider from Strafford, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2001

Strengths:    It works and it's fun!

Bottom Line:
Of all the upgrades I've done to my bike, this one is the best in a long time. This thing makes riding even more fun than it was before! I feel like a kid again. Thinks I'll get some steamers and stuff them in the ends of my grips! Yippee!! Best of all, it gets peoples attention. Many people can't figure out what that sound is, but at least they look and see me coming. Has such a pleasant sound, that nobody get's offended, some people even get a kick out of it. Great way to get people happy.

Favorite Trail:   Planet Earth

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   On your left! Little Room! Get out of the way!

Bike Setup:   FSR Enduro with too many upgrades to mention.

Submitted by FenderBender a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2000

Strengths:    Loud noise, simple.

Weaknesses:    Not true that it "fits in the end of all types of handlebars and bar-ends." It didn't.

Bottom Line:
Not true that it "fits in the end of all types of handlebars and bar-ends." It didn't. Made a mistake in believing it will fit all handlebars, as advertised. I tore off the end of my handle grip, and it doesn't fit no matter how much I tried (too wide). Don't care so much about the bell price, which I got on sale, but now I've got an uncovered handlebar. Useless bell+torn grip=lost $. Our other bike has a knock-off that attaches to the handebar on top. Should have stuck with that kind.

Similar Products Used:   Cheap rip-offs.

Bike Setup:   Newport K2 from REI.

Submitted by Mr Huck a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2000

Strengths:    - loud
- small
- light

Weaknesses:    - doesn't work when it rains (or when it's muddy)
- I found it's not loud enough to alert the idiotic masses of my presence. I need more LOUDNESS!!!!

Bottom Line:
Great bell for off-roading, touring, or recreational riding. Living in Toronto, though, it's just not loud enough for the big city streets. I think an airhorn is the way to go...