Home | Reviews | Extras | Conix

3.61/5 (23 Reviews)

Conix Aheadstem Wedge

Submitted by weather expert a Weekend Warrior from iowa

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Strengths:    works. can be reused. now the stem doesn't need something that is permanently fixed inside the fork.

Weaknesses:    friction between top cap and stem/spacer (see below). needs 6mm hex

Bottom Line:
though some don't like it, the two conix i had have never failed me. they preload the headsets almost exactly like regular top caps, sans pounding a star nut into the steerer tube. maybe a bit heavier, but they make installing the fork a lot easier for me.

one downside, though, is that when you tighten the top cap, the entire top cap rotates (on regular ones only the bolt rotates) and the friction between top cap and stem/spacer adds more torque to the wrench. so at a given preload, you actually get a much higher torque on the conix top cap than on a regular top cap. just use common sense and you'll be fine.

Purchased At:   came with FSA XL2 and xtreme

Similar Products Used:   regular stem cap

Bike Setup:   both my steel hardtails

Submitted by Duane a Cross Country Rider from Shippensburg, PA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Strengths:    It works, can be re-used

Weaknesses:    heavier than SFN. no special tools required for install.

Bottom Line:
This thing works great. I have no idea what these other guys are b!tching about. I have used this on two different forks with no problems at all. You use it to get the tension and then your STEM holds the tension. NOT your top cap. I have even stripped my bike down to the frame a few times with each fork and still NO PROBLEMS. If you are looking for a re-usable alternative or something that doesn't require tools, then I highly recomend this thing. If your not mechanically inclined maybe you should stick to the nut.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Michaux

Similar Products Used:   star fangled nut

Bike Setup:   K2 Zed Team, manitou, truvativ, sram, avid, mavic, blah, blah, blah.

Submitted by Doug Hauswirth a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2002

Strengths:    Sounds good on paper....

Weaknesses:    Piece of crap dropped it's clamping mechanism into the steerer tube....probabably my fault, but the two upper parts refuse to separate now. Don't buy this turd, stick with the fangled nut. It's simpler, cheaper and works.

Bottom Line:
If zero chilis were an option, this would be it.I hope other FSA products are better than this.

Save your money for beer.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Submitted by Cosmo Catalano from Hanover NH USA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2002

Strengths:    better than star-flaged nut unless you have an aluminum steer tube

Weaknesses:    1)little rubber thing breaks
2)hard to adjust
3)way more complicated than necissary
4)heavy
5)lots of adjustment needed due to slippage
6)gets dull & doesnt work
7)cuts up steerer tube inner wall

Bottom Line:
good idea poor excecution. fits poorly with my Mars. Head lock better work. Otherwise I will have no way to tighten my headset

Purchased At:   came w/headset

Similar Products Used:   star flanged nut (also trash)

Bike Setup:   custom fisher x-caliber

Submitted by tyrone a Cross Country Rider from philippines

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2001

Strengths:    might be good for bike that dont really go off road

Weaknesses:    I had to tighten it after every ride.Now it pops out after I try to tighten the cap,no matter how hard I tighten the wedge.
It leaves deep grooves on the inside of my steerer tube

Bottom Line:
waste of my money.dont buy it if you spend most of your time off road, you'll end up trying to tighten it over and over.might be good for pavement riders.I pulled mine out,Im gonna replace it with a azonic headlock.The damn thing left deep scars on my steerer tube.

Favorite Trail:   lots of 'em

Purchased At:   5.00

Similar Products Used:   star fangled crap

Bike Setup:   rst sdk at fork,tranz x suspension post,hardtail,shimano stx rc components,irc piranha pro tires

Submitted by Cliff a Racer from Central Texas

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2001

Strengths:    Good in theory

Weaknesses:    Heavy, poor installation instructions, will not stay put

Bottom Line:
This thing would pull out of the steerer tube when tightened. I've not had that problem with a SFN. Additionally, the added weight is not worth it. If you can't install the SFN yourself, go to your LBS and have them install it for you. You will have spent maybe the same amount of money, saved the weight and a lot of headaches

Similar Products Used:   SFN

Bike Setup:   VooDoo Canzo, Chris King

Submitted by Bugman a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2000

Strengths:    Ease of installation, ease of adjustment, great colors

Weaknesses:    better instructions

Bottom Line:
I got this when I went from a rigid fork to my Rock Shox Jett. Put it together easily by myself, and it was my first time working on the fork/headset. No problems. Held just fine even after I hit that car door. I would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   The one that doesn't kill me

Submitted by Froggy a cross-country rider from The not so belle province.

Date Reviewed: April 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

The whole idea seemed silly. Star flanged nuts do work if you know how to install them. Don't use a screw driver!!!!!! That is only an excercise in futility. You don't need a special tool from park either. Put the cap on the bolt and screw the nut on the cap. Make sure to have the nut on so that some bolt threads are visible. Tap the bolt untill the nut grabs, place the cap on the steerer to center it and drive it home. It has ALWAYS landed dead center at the right depth with this technique. I was suprised to find out the Park actually makes a tool for this.Back to the review. A friend of mine, let's call him Fred (as in Flintstone), has all the mechanical skill of a troglodyte, decided to install his fork solo. Even with his chimpanzee skills he was able to do it no problem with a Conix. This is good because in his zeal to mount the fork by himself he forgot to put the lower race on the fork. Is that why the steering is rough?I still think it is a useless excuse for putting ano on a bike, but it does work. If he had to install a starflange I know he would have put in five or six with a screwdriver or steel punch. It does remove a possibly aggravating step from installing a fork. Its worth three chilies, it's only another bolt after all. Five chilies if you are Fred

Submitted by Dan a weekend warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: February 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

You guys should remember that this device is for pre-load. I doesn't hold things together, the stem does. If you headset keeps getting loose, blame your stem. Anyway, other than the nut rounding, mine has been fine. I need some more words. I think the 50 word count thing is lame. So much for being concise.

Submitted by Bikeguy a racer from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 14, 1997

Bottom Line:

What I like about this little darling is: 1)No stupid steel star fangled crap to get stuck in the steerer, and 2)No silly plastic cap that buckles when you try to tighten it. 3)No silly aluminum cap to replace the plastic one assuming that it will solve the problem. It loses 1 chili because it is a difficult fit for an aluminum steerer.

Submitted by tom a weekend warrior from dublin

Date Reviewed: September 18, 1997

Bottom Line:

MY 5 conix`s rounded they are crap

Submitted by Paul David a cross-country rider from Concord, NH

Date Reviewed: July 30, 1997

Bottom Line:

This is a great, easy to use product. It is easy to make adjustments on the fly with this too. Basically, it kicks the star flanged nuts butt!

Submitted by Bob Hylka a cross-country rider from Joliet, IL USA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 1997

Bottom Line:

I hated the plastic that came with my original headset from day one. I went to the Club Roost from there... hated it even more. I would have to adjust (re tighten) my headset every 2 or 3 rides. Now I have a Conix. Goodbye headset looseness. This really is a great $10 part.

Submitted by Greg Wang a cross-country rider from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 1997

Bottom Line:

Great alternative to the star-fangled nut.Maybe a little heavier, but it works. Comes in several anodized colors.At first I thought it wasn't great because my headset would come loose. Turns out it was my crappy stem. Remember, folks, this Conix thing, as well as star-fangled nuts, ARE FOR PRE-LOAD. The stem is what really keeps it all in place. I think it's better than the old star-fangled nut setup because it is fully removable, and reusable should you buy a new fork (not that star-fangled nuts are that expensive, though). FSA's conix is good, as are the FSA headsets.

Submitted by dave a weekend warrior from Honolulu, Hawaii

Date Reviewed: March 12, 1997

Bottom Line:

How come I never thought of it first!!! Great product, well designed, works great. The inner threadded design really makes for easy adjusment if the headset comes loose.