Caramba Smooth Operator Extras

2.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Caramba Smooth Operator

Submitted by willsherer a weekend warrior from texas

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

I HAVE USED THIS PRODUCT FOR ABOUT ONE YEAR AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT. I DON'T EVEN NOTICE IT WHEN I RIDE. THE REASON FOR THIS IS PROBABLY THE DRY AND DUSTY CONDITIONS I ALWAYS RIDE IN.

Submitted by 7 speed cheap ass a racer from ft walton beach, fl

Date Reviewed: May 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I am unfortunately the last person to use seven speed stuff. Why not, I have three sets of very nice handbuilt wheels, so why change until they bust up. To facilitate the V-brake mistake I made last year, I was forced to use this thorn in my side with my levers(canti levers). It does the job well, however, I have to re-adjust the fron travel agent every time I take the wheel off. They say the hole on the inner pulley should be between two and twelve o'clock. Every time I take the front wheel off it slips to nine o'clock, and you have no braking power. When adjusted right they work well, but only three chili's because of the constant adjusting.

Submitted by dave a cross-country rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: April 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought this product about 3 months ago - since then I have probably been on @ least 10+ rides in various conditions (dry/dusty, wet/muddy). It has gotten wet/muddy/dusty and HAVE NOT had any problems with It. IN FACT - I was waiting for it to have problems based upon the previous reviews that it has had on this web page. It has actually worked flawlessly since I have installed it. It is important that it is installed properly with the right amount of tension.. Even if for some reason that the pulley becomes totally locked up, with the proper tension the brake will still be functional where you can complete your ride OR when you have the chance pull over and clean it which should take only a couple of minutes to do so.. It is such a simple design, but it does have a little room for improvement. At this time I find it do be a decent upgrade as opposed to the the stock elbow but if it is not INSTALLED CORRECTLY just like any other product IT WILL NOT work to expectations. A decent upgrade worth the while, but only reccomended to someone that is mechanically literate......

Submitted by Mike K a weekend warrior from Washington DC

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1997

Bottom Line:

I hate the V brake tube
This hate is deep and burning
When I fount something to do the job
For that product I was yearning.Smooth Operator give me one
I told the bikeshopdude
That'll be 20 bucks.
20? Am I getting screwed?On my bike I slapped I slapped the thing
and took off like a turtle
I discovered after going through several millimeters of mud
that it's a complete piece of shit!This is the worst product ever come across. It does not work, at all, ever. The pulley is made of plastic (I'm sure they say it's space age thermo-turdo, but it's plastic, and it doesn't roll very well right out of the bag. Ad a single grain of sand and it freezes.This thing ruined a good ride and made me think I was an even weaker rider than I actually am, which is painful. Take one Smooth Operator
Add Shimano XT V brake and Slickwhip teflon cable
mix with minute amounts of silty mud
compress brake lever
and, like liquid nitrogen, it will freeze instantly, locking your calipers to the rim.
immediately return to LBS and cuss manufacturer for 20 minutes.THIS IS FUN ON A CLIMB!The Rollamajig works fine in mud and I've heard the Wicked Sister is as good, what the hell is wrong with Caramba?I think I get their name now. . .Aye Caramba I just wasted good money!They owe me three stars for the time I waste hating them.

Submitted by LARRY a cross-country rider from TORRANCE, CA USA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 1997

Bottom Line:

DON'T BUY IT. I USED MINE ONCE ON A DRY DIRT TRAIL AND IT
WORKED FINE. THE NEXT TIME I USED IT, WAS ON A REALLY WET
TRAIL WITH MANY STREAM CROSSINGS. WHEN THE MUD AND SAND
KICKED UP ONTO IT THE PULLEY LOCKED UP AND I WAS UNABLE TO
USE MY REAR BRAKE. I TRIED TO USE THE WATER FROM THE
STREAM TO WAS IT CLEAN BUT THAT STILL DID NOT WORK. I HAD
TO RIDE THE REST OF THE TRAIL WITH ONLY MY FRONT BRAKE AND
THAT TOTALLY SUCKED. AS SOON AS I GOT HOME I IMMEDIATELY
REMOVED IT AND PUT BACK ON THE STOCK V-BRAKE ELBOW.