Camelbak 100 oz. OMEGA. Reservoir Extras

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Sakura, Chiba, Japan (native of New York)

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2003

Strengths:    How does CamelBak do it? Every year they're products are significantly improved. So I'll say this product couldn't be better, but I know I'll be proven wrong.

I'll compare it to their older version of the same thing.

Big mouth lets me put my whole forearm in there for cleaning, and I can dump a bucket of ice in there no problem (whereas with the old one you had to force the cubes in one by one).

No more mildew! (The old one was horrible in this respect. If you put anything in it but pure water it would start breeding all sorts of nasty stuff). The new one stays so clean, I forget to wash it out.

Big bite valve.

Longer hose.

The material is more supple than the old material.

Weaknesses:    Uhmm . . . .

OK, one. I still don't feel like I can put hot liquids in it for winter rides. It would be nice if CamelBak came out with some kind of foil bladder I could pour boiling hot water into without worrying the material is going to melt--same goes for the tube and mouthpiece. I'd buy that.

Bottom Line:
Like I said, how do they do it? I bought a CamelBak two years earlier and it was great, but there were a few things I wish they changed--resevoir being number one. Two years later, I feel like I've time traveled into the future.

The Omega resevoir is all it can be I suppose, but I know they're going to improve it again and again.

Favorite Trail:   It's gotta have dirt, hills, no engine sounds . . . ; I think I finally found it last week!

Purchased At:   You can't usually find CamelBak in Japan--Seo Cycle, Minami-Funabashi, Chiba, LalaPort shopping mall

Similar Products Used:   Water bottles, Nalgen bottles, vending machines along the way, the occassional convenience store. With 100 icy ounces, I never have to stop.

Bike Setup:   2002 TREK 8000 (ZR9000 material frame) bought stock and upgraded with the following: Shimano 959 pedals, Bontrager (Selle San Marco) Race Lite titanium rail leather saddle with gel insert, SIDI Eagle 4 shoes (same as the Dominator I think), Panaracer Trail Blasters, Maxxis Ultralight tubes, Shimano XT crank and BB, XTR brake shoes, XTR cables and housings, yadda yadda

Submitted by Aaron Airborne a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, Arizona

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2003

Strengths:    The stellar valve design

Weaknesses:    Mmmm. Is this a trick question. Maybe you liked the crummy old design!?

Bottom Line:
This is a huge improvement over the previous designs. I had one of the old ones with a tiny push valve. It was a struggle to hold, fill it and close it without dropping the whole thing.

Not only is this a piece of cake to use, but the little edge makes it easy to hold. Beyond that, the larger access allows for cleaning - this was always an act of contortion on the old versions.

As far as I can tell, all good things. Much, much better!

Favorite Trail:   Idunno.

Purchased At:   Dunno, either

Similar Products Used:   The crummy old design.

Bike Setup:   News flash - you can use this with any bike.