Home | Reviews | Extras | Bob

Bob Trailer Extras

4.37/5 (30 Reviews)

BOBTrailer standard quick release skewer.

Submitted by stgparris a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, SC USA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2010

Strengths:    You can load much more than the 70LBS maximum weight limit. I've had approximately 100LBS on it bulking up on groceries. Wouldn't advise you do that often though. Very strong build.

Weaknesses:    Like many say, the weakest part of the trailer is obviously where it mounts to the frame. The provided skewer tends to bend but I attribute that more to overloading. Also, the tongue mounting to the skewer does bend if you're not careful to mount the trailer properly or slip when mounting it. Would be nice to see some sort of trailer type jack or something to set this up for easy mounting and dismounting. Will be looking at some sort of option to mount just such on my next Yak.

Bottom Line:
I'll purchase another Yak before I buy any panniers. It rides smoother and is not noticeable (except steep downhill grades). You must learn how to ride with this thing differently compared to panniers, but I learned very quickly. The type of brakes don't matter if you learn how to properly use them. Even with large loads going down a 7% grade for 7 miles, I almost burnt up a set of disc pads on the Fisher. However, that 7 miles was nothing but switchback curves. Otherwise any braking system will do well with this at slow speeds (B.O.B. recommends speeds under 35MPH).

Purchased At:   Harrell's Bicycle Wo

Similar Products Used:   Panniers

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M80, Gary Fisher Dual Sport 129, and soon Surly Long Haul Trucker

Submitted by vimaxadventures a Cross Country Rider from Atliln, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2008

Strengths:    Easier on the bike than heavy paniers. Easy to snap on and off. Good dry bag. Goes everywhere the bike can go. Fits into luggage for flying. After 4000km no mechanical problems.

Weaknesses:    Attachment to bike too close to newer shram derailleurs, it bends easily the derailleur hanger. Fender too close to tire (on the Yak)

Bottom Line:
We have travelled 4000km from France to the Black Sea, and have another 12000 km to go. We totally trust the bob and are just thinking about changing the wheel bearing in advance, anytime soon, just in case.
for more information and pictures, feel free to check our website!

WWW.VIMAXADVENTURES.COM

Favorite Trail:   road and off-road

Purchased At:   Anchorage, paramount

Bike Setup:   Gary fisher x-caliber mountainbike with front suspension and 29" (700) wheels.

Submitted by Bala a Cross Country Rider from Frankfurt, Germany

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2008

Strengths:    Don't feel the weight of the trailer, great manueverability, attracts people, good to take things for a long distance trip. Easy to snap in and snap out. I took it into the hotel room everynight.

Weaknesses:    the bag- No way to lock it ! Wish it had better handles. Wish it had compartments within. You can never push your bike even a bit backwards... gotto make sure when you park, that you have mastered how to get it out of the 90 degrees parking position. try taking it on a plane ;- ( Fenders crappy though....

Bottom Line:
15 -20 kilos feels fine. Used it on a long distance trip in Southern India. Recommmend it to anyone for all the other benifits.

Favorite Trail:   Southern India, Anywhere in Europe

Purchased At:   Perpadele, Germany

Similar Products Used:   panniers from ortlieb

Bike Setup:   Steven's trekking bike and a mountain bike

Submitted by Harry a Weekend Warrior from Lincoln, Nebraska USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2007

Strengths:    Easy assembly, pulls great.

Weaknesses:    On the IBEX the STOCK fender is crap. If you happen to ride as I do. On an everyday basis. It will kick up quite a rooster tail. So much for trying to keep any load dry.

Bottom Line:
I searched for a 16" fender to fit the trailer. Ended up with a Freddy Fender 20". With a little custom fitting this fender works GREAT!!!! And looks good as well. You have to do a slight bit of cutting to make it work but it completely wraps the tire and has stopped the rooster tail effect. BOB needs to consider a revamp of the current fender setup on the IBEX. I made the purchase as I am an everyday rider and have not owned a car in about 15 years. I use this for just about everything. It pulls fantastic and I do like the damoening of the shock and it's adjustability of the load levels. Most of the time I don't even realize that it's back there. I strongly recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a decent trailer for everyday use.

Purchased At:   Blues Bikes

Bike Setup:   Trak 3900 (CUSTOM)

Submitted by Alan a Cross Country Rider from Albany, Western Australia

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2006

Strengths:    Ease of connecting, shuspension.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Found this trailer, a BOB Ibex, great. Lastest ride towed it 335km of trail riding on the Mund Biddi trail. Carried 45kg in it...Load it up I say.... Touched speeds of 41Kph on pea gravel...was hangin' on...37Kph was comfy. Have had the rig up to 70Kph on the road, very stable.
However am getting the rear swingarm modified to take a 26" wheel for ease of spares and also to fit an Enomorphin 3.7 for the sand. I'll be doing a 400km trail trek in 4wks with the new set up. I'll post the results. Bottom line...love it.

Favorite Trail:   any...

Purchased At:   Great Southern Bikes

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic with a Rohloff 14 sp hub.

Submitted by patrick a Cross Country Rider from chino

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2004

Strengths:    this trailer kick ass and i got a killer deal on this brand new IBEX Plus trailer.

Weaknesses:    none or not yet.

Bottom Line:
Brought it from a friend who won the trailer from a race. got the deal for $150 which is a killer deal. love the shock, helps damping heavy load. i'm planning to weld a fork mount on the trailer so i can toll a mtb on my road bike to my regular trail instead of driving my car. for the price i got it is a great deal but if you pay retail, it is better off weld your own trailer. the cost of parts around $50 dollars or less. may want to get a extra skewer if you have multple bikes.

Purchased At:   from a friend

Bike Setup:   k2 Flying monkey or cannondale CAAD 3 road bike.

Submitted by Doug a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2003

Strengths:    Solidly built, great attachment system, the silver color matches my bike's aluminum frame, makes the whole thing look custom.

Weaknesses:    Paint/finish seems to wear off easily with rubbing from bag

Bottom Line:
I bought the BOB Yak primarily to help my kids out on their paper route. I would haul the heavy load and they would refill their smaller bags from the trailer as needed. Also it gave me another reason to ride after I got home from work! The BOB works great. It is stable to pull and can hold a lot of weight. I like the attention that a well-made, functional piece of equipment gets. My neighbors all know that I am a bike freak, and so when they see me wheeling by hauling papers with the kids, or my wife and I taking off with friends with the trailer loaded up for a picnic, they know I am having the time of my life. I like how easy it is to put on/take off. I have also added a kickstand to the trailer so that I can have it stand the bike too as needed without searching for something stable to lean the whole thing on. Hauling a fully-loaded trailer is a handling challenge but you get used to it with practice. I once hauled 10 gallons of bottled water which brought it up to the 70 lb. weight limit. That was pretty wild. You have to brake differently and choose your lines well. It is great for bike handling skills. That is much different than hauling some extra gear/clothing or a picnic lunch. I have the 1999 model Yak 16 with the old retainer pin system which I did not like at all, so I converted it to the new pin system myself. A couple of carefully drilled holes, a couple of ends from some 16p nails and some super-strength epoxy to keep them solid, and I now have the updated system. The trailer works great and I have not had any problems with rust or anything wearing out as of yet. If you need a trailer, buy one of these and use it like crazy!

Favorite Trail:   any dirt

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   '92 S-Works M2 Pro (actually the only thing still original is the frame and cranks) 22 lbs.

Submitted by Sean Atkinson a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Western Australia

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2002

Strengths:    Well boys I didn't have to pay all that money to get a trailer that i was only half happy with. I built my own.

Weaknesses:    I tried to take the easy way out and only have a single bar hitch but i found with any more than about 30kg it flexed, this equated to the trailer fish tailin behind me! a bit nerve racking when your doing 20mph, but i fixxed that today by welding in an extra bar. Other than that i dont think i'll have to make any modifications. I can keep up with the traffic flow with 20kg on the back and it is no worry.

Bottom Line:
I just used the BOB QR and built my own style trailer. I designed it so i can use any sized wheel and faced the rear dropouts downwards instead of straight out the back. I've ordered some BOB nutz for my other bike so i can use it on any bike and change the wheel to suit the bike. This allows less spare tires, tubes, spokes, etc to have to be carried on long trips.

Favorite Trail:   Anything and Everything

Purchased At:   Built it myself

Similar Products Used:   None!

Bike Setup:   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IT GOT STOLEN TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the time i actually realized it was to late, I saw these aboriginals driving away with it in their car! I'll be searching around the hock shops for it!
2001 Norco Kokanee, Sun Mammoth Rim, Nokian Gazzaloddi 3.0" on the front, Intense 2.7" on the back, Hayes HMX-1 Disc front, and numerous other bits.

Submitted by Heinrich a Cross Country Rider from Hamburg, Germany

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2002

Strengths:    takes more cargo than any conventional bike

Weaknesses:    small wheel, steel mesh cargo platform

Bottom Line:
I got the trailer as a birthday present and used it on 2 trips. It helped to distribute the weight of the gear and it feels as if there is lower wind resistance compared with paniers. I sprayed some wax into the small framw holes to prevent it from rusting (see the review from swiss jura). For doing that I took the teflon liner from an old brake cable housing and mounted it to a wax spray can, blocked the other end of the teflon liner with a small screw and put some very small holes at the ends circumference in it with a hot needle.
The YAK is a great help for shopping.
The steel mesh cargo platform loks a little .... , the small wheel is terrible when crossing obstacles. Compared to that the Monoporters bigger wheels does much better, thats the reason why YAK doesn´t get the full five star rating in both value and overall ratings.

Similar Products Used:   Yakima BigTow, Weber Monoporter

Bike Setup:   All weather MTB with lights and fenders

Submitted by Jan a Cross Country Rider from Basel, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Strengths:    Fits to every bike (even full suspension), light weight

Weaknesses:    Extremely poor quality, small rear wheel

Bottom Line:
I bought BOB (the name of the trailer) to go on holidays by bike(south of france). There was no other way to carry all the stuff my girlfriend and I took along and no other trailer that could be attached to a full suspension bike.

At first I hadn't put my load carefully enough. The heavy things really need to be as low down as possible (best underneath BOB's axle), otherwise BOB will decide upon directions instead of you which is really scary (I think this porblem could be cured with a bigger wheel). Afterwards it felt ok and to my surprise it wasn't even much harder to pedal.

But:

AFTER ONLY TWO WEEKS, RUST HAD ALREADY STARTED COMING OUT OF SOME TINY HOLES THAT ARE PROBABLY MEANT TO RELEASE WATER FROM THE FRAME. HOW THE HELL CAN WATER GET INTO A FRAME??? ANYWAY, BOB STARTED RUSTING FROM INSIDE.

THE NEW AXLE YOU NEED TO ATTACH BOB TO YOUR BIKE WAS BENT WHEN I CAME BACK FROM HOLIDAYS AND WAS VERY DIFFICULT TO BE REMOVED AGAIN FROM MY REAR WHEEL. YOU ARE ALLOWED TO PUT 32 KG ON THE TRAILER AND I SWEAR I DIDN'T OVERLOAD THE DAMMN' GUY.

LOOKING AT IT MORE CLOSELY I FOUND THAT BOB'S DROPOUTS WERE BENT MAKING IT VERY HARD TO ATTACH HIM TO THE BIKE AND PROBABLY CAUSED THE AXLE TO BEND (MAYBE IT WAS THE OTHER WAY ROUND, AFTER ALL IT DOESN'T MATTER TO ME).

THE PAINTJOB HAS PROBABLY BEEN DONE BY A BLIND, AFTER TWO WEEKS, THE DROPOUTS AND AHLF OF THE FRAME WERE BARE...

DID I MENTION THAT BOB'S WHEEL WAS NOT CENTERED PROPERLY?

Well, at any rate, I wouldn't buy him anymore. That piece of crap cost 320$ and after two weeks of ROAD USE (no off road at all) looked as he had fought in world war two.

The idea to attach the trailer to the rear axle of the bike seems still good. I haven't brought it back to shop yet to hear what they say about all this. But, to be honest, I would prefer to have my money back.

Favorite Trail:   Gempen (Swiss Jura)

Purchased At:   Vitelli

Bike Setup:   I pull(ed) the trailer with a K2 Disco Monkey

Submitted by Dave Wyman from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2002

Strengths:    Holds lots of gear, makes a bike more stable

Weaknesses:    Rear red reflector nut unwinds after heavy vibration, causing the reflector to fall off.

Bottom Line:
I love my BOB. It holds a lot more gear than my paniers ever did, and it holds a greater variety of gear. In addition, I think my bike is more stable when the trailer is attached.

I've had my BOB for the past few years. In addition to using it to hold my camping gear, I've had a somewhat unusual purpose for it: bringing my photography gear - cameras, camera bags, tripod - on wilderness outings. I've used the trailer to haul my camera gear around the flat floor of Yosemite Valley, around the massive boulders of Joshua Tree National Park in the high desert , and along the coast at Morro Bay, among several locations throughout California.

I have the original BOB black bag, and the new yellow model that's much larger and is quite waterproof, but I often toss gear into the trailer without using either of these bags. Bungie cords usually do the trick securing whatever I've got in the trailer.

I've never had a problem with hitching the trailer to my bike, but I've seen the newly designed connection and it's obviously much better. I also understand BOB has a new suspension model, but mine works just fine in its original, more rigid design.

I give the BOB all the possible chilis.

Favorite Trail:   Cahuenga Peak

Purchased At:   From B.O.B.

Similar Products Used:   Panniers of various designs

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper Comp 2001 Hardtail, 1962 Follis road bike

Submitted by Hans a Cross Country Rider from Krautland

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2002

Strengths:    extends the use of my bike to the maximum

Weaknesses:    16"-wheel

Bottom Line:
If one wants to sell his/her car: buy a trailer and use your bike to the maximum. I can transport groceries, camping gear, beer(important here in Krautland), 2 meter long poles Try that on your bike without a trailer. !wheelers you can use at high speed, the lean and follow the track of the tractor bike. On single tracks they dont need the space panniers would. There is a limit in carrying capacity when compared to 2wheel trailer, but do you need to transport that much? If that is the case: have a look at www.bikesatwork.com First thing on my Yak I converted the tiny 20x1.75 tire to a 20x2.125 version. Low inflated it eliminates the jumping.... The actual setup is a 20x2.125 tire, the modification was made on a saturday afternoon. With more volume the bigger wheel acts as a suspension system. For cargo carrying purpose I installed 2 aircraft seatbelts. A poperly installed child seat enables little Celina to long country tours (I knew the manufacturers limitations)The B.o.B.s are not the only 1wheel trailers, but compared with others the YAK offers the best compromise. When choosing a trailer YOU have to make the decission what would be the BEST for YOU. Cargo capacity, drivability, weight, after sales service, price etc. Checking the net and other sources there is nothing other than a YAK for ME.

Purchased At:   velocenter kiel

Bike Setup:   Chromo frame, 26 x 2.35 Schwalbe tires, Maguras, Grease Guard, tractor gears, homemade parts

Submitted by Drew a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2001

Strengths:    This is a keep it simple product that really works. great construction and design. does everything it says iy will at a fair price and is built to last. hard to find many products anywhere that do that.

Weaknesses:    have not found any.

Bottom Line:
I rode to work with a heavy messeger bag aon and could feel my stuff poking me in the back, not bad though, got the trailer during the day and put all of my stuff inthe trailer and rode it 12 miles home. I had to keep looking back to see if was still there. It rode so smooth and light I felt like I was cheating. Cars actualy gave me a little more room since I think some thought it was a baby carrier. Just can not say enough good things about this product.

Favorite Trail:   unknown

Purchased At:   Pine Mountain Sports

Bike Setup:   pulling it with my Specialized Stumpjumper and it does great. am curious to see how my road buke will do.

Submitted by maurits a Cross Country Rider from Oude Niedorp, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2001

Strengths:    good handling on bad terrain

Weaknesses:    drop outs and welds

Bottom Line:
I've used the bob yak for around 4 years now. I'm very plaesed wityh the handling on bad roads. I've used it first with my road bike. This bike isnt very stiff so when i was going fast downhill on an normal good road, my bike began shaking, which wasnt very pleasant. After some experience with that. I begun to ride my bike more relaxed and then the problem was more controleable. I also used it on cicling trip in Iceland where it worked very wel. There i used it with my mtb which is a lot stiffer than my road bike. No problems there. With the sandy roads the holes for the pins in the drop outs took in some sand which made it harder to put on my bike. I had to clean these a lot. Because of the good handling, i was able to go quite fast over the washboard roads. That was a lot of fun, but not good for the welds. The store i bought it from repaired and improved those for only f35,- (approx $17). I don't think it is really better than normal bike racks. I've had no problems putting it on the plane to Iceland.

Favorite Trail:   Schoorl

Purchased At:   Vittorio Heerhugowaard

Bike Setup:   Raleigh proline 200 s mtb and Vittorio Populair road bike

Submitted by Roberto a Weekend Warrior from Alantointo , Italy

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2001

Strengths:    Very way cool, Auto drivers slow when they come approach
me , just to see what I am towing

Weaknesses:    None yet, I hope I dont find out the hard way

Bottom Line:
I like it, plus I get attention and thats all I really need anyway

Favorite Trail:   Any thats close