Bike Peddler Take A Look Original Mirror with Adapter Extras

4.36/5 (33 Reviews)

Fully adjustable, mounts quickly to glasses and includes an optional helmet mount.

Submitted by Alice Alpert

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2014

Strengths:    Too soon to tell much; haven't been on the maiden voyage yet but seems like it will be ok.

Weaknesses:    Honestly--please change your packaging to include a simple picture of the mirror mounted on a helmet visor. The directions and pictures are completely useless. As a generally intelligent person, I felt genuinely stupid enough to take the mirror and my helmet to the bike shop where I purchased the mirror, asking for help. Two guys (real bike guys) spent time, also quietly feeling stupid, trying to figure it out, and declared the packaging directions to be crap. Finally--yes, let's look it up online. It is an extremely simple application onto the visor. But "Rotate the prongs until they fit around the side of the visor" means nothing in real life. And the prongs do not pivot or do much budging at all. Anyway, hopefully now that the mirror is in place, it will function just fine!

Bottom Line:
Probably a great little mirror which requires an engineering degree to install if you haven't seen one before.

Favorite Trail:   C&O Canal Towpath--Maryland

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor of Frede

Submitted by Rodger Overnaut

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, attaches to glasses easily, good fied of vision

Weaknesses:    too soon to tell, I did not find any

Bottom Line:
Received the mirror today, took a quick spin and after a couple of laps around the block I had the mirror adjusted for a good rear view with a minimal turn of my head and a quick glance at the mirror. Makes it easy to see what is coming up from behind, which is the reason I purchased it. good product!

Submitted by Lynn Kent

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight. Mirror cleans easily with a soft cloth and a good glass cleaner without ammonia.

Weaknesses:    When used on the left side, mirror mounts vertically. I did not like having to bend it, to get it so I could see behind me. The cheap vinyl cover over the wires already split on one of the three places. I did not understand that I would have to bend the wires to make it work, and do not like doing so.

Bottom Line:
I bought this mirror from Amazon and had to pay $ 19.95, although this website sells it for $ 14.95, wish I had known. I am disabled and cannot ride a bicycle. I adapted the mirror to fasten on the bill of my cap with an alligator clip. That way I can use it on different caps, to see if someone is coming up behind me when walking. I walk with a cane and do not move very fast. I don't want to impede others, so it is helpful to see behind me. I prefer the mirror on the left side, so I make adjustments with the clip, and the mirror itself. I have tried it only once so far and it seemed to work as I expected. The mirror is vertical the way it was rigged up by me, but that is ok. More excursions with the mirror will tell if it was worth $ 20. If it stays put as I walk, and I am not constantly having to adjust it, I will be happy that it does what I want. The mirror moving is my only concern, however, the way I rigged it up is not the way it was designed to be used, and I am aware of that.

Submitted by medusa a Weekend Warrior from washington dc

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight and seems to be solidly built

Weaknesses:    Not optimal for left handed visor mounting....only a small vertical view not horizontal......ideally should have mirror on both sides.. I may glue another bigger mirror to the other side

Bottom Line:
OK to purchase but would need customer tweaking...the light weight seems to be its best advantage.Disappointed with its small field of vision in this particular setup....needs horizontal mirror mounting for left side which I haven't found possible.

Favorite Trail:   USA

Purchased At:   niagaracycle.com

Similar Products Used:   handle bar mirrors which were awkward...too much vibration ...
took up precious handlebar space

Submitted by burtthebike a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2011

Strengths:    easy to fit, robust, gives clear view, no vibration problems, infinitely adjustable, very well made, compact.

Weaknesses:    can be knocked off accidentally

Bottom Line:
I originally bought this for the recumbent trike, but it's so good I uae it on all my rides. After more than two years of constant use, it's still perfect, despite my somewhat cavalier treatment of it at times. Now, I just wouldn't ride any of my bikes without it, whether in traffic or for keeping an eye on the group I'm leading, it's utterly invaluable.

If you ride in traffic, on cycle paths or in groups, I'd highly recommend this mirror.

Similar Products Used:   bar mounted mirrors

Bike Setup:   which one? Seven in the garage

Submitted by Mimi a Cross Country Rider from Springfield, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2011

Weaknesses:    We just received these and cannot get the horizontal pivot points to move AT ALL! Are you supposed to remove the black plastic off of the points? Doesn't seem logical, esp since directions don't tell you to...

Bottom Line:
Help!

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Haven't tried helmet or eyeglass mirrors but wanted to as our handlebar mounted ones require an awkward hand placement.

Submitted by BigWall a Weekend Warrior from White Bear Lake, MN, US

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2010

Strengths:    small, non-blurring, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Blocks view of some oncoming traffic.
Have to turn eyes pretty far to use it.

Bottom Line:
This mirror mounted on my glasses with bows halfway up the side of the lenses lens was sized and positioned perfectly to block my view of a left-turning van which was on a collision course with me as I went through a busy intersection. I heard, rather than saw him. I attempted to get out of his way, but got hit in the left leg. I never saw him look forward the whole time I was watching him. These work very well on glasses with the bows attached at the top of the lens, but are a hazard mounted lower.
I also founfd that it strained my eyes to turn them far enough up and to the side to use them.
I much prefer bar-mounted mirrors, road or mtb.

Favorite Trail:   Unknown

Purchased At:   Bike Peddler

Similar Products Used:   Mirrycle

Bike Setup:   Road

Submitted by Sunny a Racer from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2010

Strengths:    easy to use. Nothing on handlebars

Bottom Line:
Mine is made for NZ road conditions ie riding on left - use on right side of glasses. Do you still make these??? as everyone here wants one and the last person I gave your address to got one for the US road use. All road cyclists should have them!

Similar Products Used:   round mirror - useless!

Bike Setup:   Road Bike

Submitted by Chris Austin-lNae a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2010

Strengths:    A mirror that has no fragile plastic parts to break. 3 degrees of adjustment so you can adjust it to your ride - sitting up higher, longer hair, whatever.

Weaknesses:    I lost my first one on the train.

Bottom Line:
It works and it doesn't break.

Favorite Trail:   Guadalupe

Purchased At:   ACTC

Similar Products Used:   A series of cheap plastic mirrors that attached to the helmet or handle-bars.

Bike Setup:   Variety of hybrid commuter bikes.

Submitted by wpope a Cross Country Rider from Medford, NY USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2009

Strengths:    Best eyeglass mirror on the market. I see more of this particular mirror than any other on group rides.

Weaknesses:    The black bands that secure the mirror to the temple piece of your glasses tends to wear out over time. The mirror won't stay on the glasses without them. I use three tie wraps to get the job done.

Bottom Line:
Excellent product!

Submitted by Scott_Wing a Racer from Oak Ridge, TN USA

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2008

Strengths:    best view on the market! I've tried them all.
indestructible! mine has survived 4 bad crashes!

Bottom Line:
the best

Favorite Trail:   anything long, steep, and tough

Purchased At:   Oak Ridge Bicycle Ce

Similar Products Used:   3rd eye

Bike Setup:   road

Submitted by Rich a Racer from Escondido, CA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2008

Strengths:    Easily mounted, three axis, provides alarge view, priced right, warranty

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your money on other 'biker mirrors'. This "Take A Look" mirror is made of the finest quality materials, the easiest to mount, it provides the largest viewing area, it is multi-directional (three axis) and easy to remove or remount if you want to use it on different helmets or glasses. The only 'biker mirror' that has a warranty for $2.00. Made in Colorado; not a piece of junk from Asia. I've owned many biker mirrors and this is the best and last one I will ever need! I've been on a bicycle for67 years, a USCF racer for 9 nears and now just a 'roadie' but this mirror is a life saver...providing a quick view of what's behind you when bicycling.

Favorite Trail:   San Diego Bike routes

Purchased At:   Bike shop in Rancho

Similar Products Used:   4-5 brands of biker mirrors over the past 30 years

Submitted by KenCaldwell a Weekend Warrior from Moscow, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2008

Strengths:    Indestructible, broadest field of vision, unconditional guarantee, excellent customer service

Bottom Line:
The Take A Look mirror is a superior product. I've been through 4 or 5 Third Eye Mirrors, which are plastic, and easily broken. The Take A Look mirror is more adjustable, gives a better field of vision, is virtually indestructible, and comes with an unconditional guarantee. If it breaks, you return it with $2. and they'll send you a new one. I bought mine online from niagaracycle.com for $15 incl. shipping. It had a minor ding in the face of the mirror, so I called Bike Peddler, and they sent me a replacement mirror a couple days later. The nicest, most generous people you'd ever want to deal with.

Favorite Trail:   Headwaters on Moscow Mtn.

Purchased At:   niagaracycle.com