Azonic Headlock Extras

Azonic Headlock: Eliminates headset loosening on any 1-1/8" headset system. Patent pending device replaces star-fangled nut system. Measure from top of stem to bottom of steerer.

Submitted by Zippy from Lansing, MI

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2007

Strengths:    No more SFNs! No more drilling or hacking out SFNs! Strongest option, makes installing and switching forks easier. No more worrying about setting SFNs correctly.

Weaknesses:    Yeah, it weighs more. And watch it when you're first getting used to it, it's easier to overtighten than a SFN.

Bottom Line:
Fitment apparently is an issue with some people. The bolt with mine was too long when I got it, but there is plenty of extra threading. So I took it to the disc sander and ground 3/8" off or so. Works perfect now. Much much beefier than a SFN, much more mechanically sound than a device that relies on camming action as the SFN does.

Similar Products Used:   Star nuts

Bike Setup:   is fun.

Submitted by Zack a Downhiller from ridgewood,NJ

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2006

Strengths:    all around strong

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
this headlock is the best thing you can do for yourself if you have headset problems. i have gone through dozens of star nuts and 3 headsets. now that i have put this on, i have accually felt the front end become more sturdy.

Favorite Trail:   alpine

Purchased At:   online somewhere

Similar Products Used:   nothing

Bike Setup:   2004 big hit, jr.T mags all around. s-3 headset azonic headlock

Submitted by jerry a Weekend Warrior from cali ca usa

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2005

Strengths:    GOOD DESIGN...SMART....LOOKS HEAVY DUTY.

Weaknesses:    NEEDS A LOCK WASHER AT THE BASE OF THE LOWER SHAFT.

Bottom Line:
THE DESIGN IS INGENIUS...BUT LIKE I SAID IT NEEDS A LOCKWASHER AT THE BOTTOM SHAFT TO KEEP THE DAMN THING FROM SPINNING WHEN TRYING TO TIGHTEN THE BOLT. I COULDN'T FIND A WASHER BIG ENOUGH...PLUS THE MATERIALS ARE GARBAGE...I STRIPPED OUT TWO SHAFTS AND GAVE UP...BACK TO THE SFN. AZONIC NEEDS TO INCLUDE A LOCKWASHER IN THE KIT. IF YOU CAN FIND A WAY TO KEEP THE LOWER ASSEMBLY FROM SPINNING IT WORKS WELL. I'M STICKING WITH THE STAR-FANGLED-NUT...IT'S ALWAYS BEEN GOOD TO ME.

Favorite Trail:   okinawa spider!!

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   SFN

Bike Setup:   56 LB. DOWNHILL PIG

Submitted by JSUN a Downhiller from REDONDO BEACH CA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2004

Strengths:    THE "WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT" DESIGN THAT PUTS A STAR NUT TO SHAME.

Weaknesses:    QUITE A FEW:
>THIS PRODUCT IS ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH STEER TUBES THAT ARE THE SAME THICKNESS ALL THE WAY THRU. SOME MARZOKES ARE NOT.
>I HAVE FOUND IT TO BE NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO EASILY REMOVE THE HEADLOCK, SINCE THERE IS NOTHING TO KEEP THE BOTTOM NUT FROM SPINNING. IT NEEDS AN ALLEN OR EVEN A FLATHEAD INSERT ON THE BOTTOM.
>FINDING THE RIGHT SIZE REQUIRES A BIKE SHOP THAT HONORS EXCHANGES, BECAUSE CHANCES ARE YOU WILL NEED TO DO JUST THAT. FEW PEOPLE I KNOW COULD NEVER FIND THE RIGHT SIZE AND ENDED UP CUTTING THEM TO FIT. GOOD LUCK; MY ADVICE IT TO MEASURE UP TWO OR THREE TIMES TO BE XTRA SURE.
>C'MON AZONIC, I LOVE YOUR PRODUCTS BUT THIS THING IS WORTH MORE LIKE 10 FRIGGIN BUCKS NOW MAN. >TOP CAP, LONG BOLT, SPECIAL SHAPED NUT. I MEAN GEEZ, 30 BUCKS?

Bottom Line:
BUY IT.
GET HELP IF YOU HAVE TO,
AND THAT MYSTERIOUS NOISE, FROM WHICH YOU COULD NEVER FIND THE SOURCE OF, WILL MAGICALLY... DISAPPEAR!!
(that noise being your star nut ticking as is slowly wiggles loose!)

Favorite Trail:   THE ONE LESS TRAVELED

Purchased At:   SOUTH BAY CYCLES WHOOP WHOOP!

Bike Setup:   SEE PROFILE

Submitted by Mark from Hell Cajon, CA. USA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2004

Strengths:    Bombproof! Makes more sense design-wise than that stupid star fangled nut.

Weaknesses:    Won't fit the new Marzocchi Z1 FR ETA. Obviously heavier and more expensive than a star fangled nut.

Bottom Line:
If you want bombproof, get one. Just make sure it fits your fork steer tube first

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Star fangled nut

Bike Setup:   03 S.C. Heckler

Submitted by Wayne g a Cross Country Rider from Sterling va

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2001

Strengths:    HEAVY DUTY

Weaknesses:    Doesnt Fit Xvert Super Fork

Bottom Line:
Well....I wish I could use this thing....but I cant cause it doesnt fit inside me fork. This thing is SUPER Heavy Duty and Super heavy. If you dont think you need it...you prob dont

Bike Setup:   2001 Elly

Submitted by CB a Cross Country Rider from Iowa

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2000

Strengths:    Works awesome, easy install

Bottom Line:
The headlock works awesome. Star nuts are a pain in the neck, always seem to be loose. With the Headlock my headset doesn't come loose at all.

Favorite Trail:   sugar bottom