Home | Reviews | Extras | Avid

4.28/5 (174 Reviews)

Avid Rollamajig

Submitted by jakob a Weekend Warrior from vic,bc,can

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2011

Strengths:    simple, it works, cheap

Weaknesses:    none yet but its too early to judge durability

Bottom Line:
Unlike the original this model has tabs to stop the cable from popping off the unit which is good. This thing made a huge differance in terms of shifting action-its much lighter.Unlike trigger shifters that actualy push the cable out and have loads of leverage, thumbies are simple indexed items that mearly pull or "let go" cable therefore one really can notice the improvement in the cable friction department. Very happy. Get these if you use thumbies!

Favorite Trail:   dunno

Purchased At:   crc

Similar Products Used:   the original alloy unit

Bike Setup:   street machine;1992 Rocky Team Comp tange ultralight tubing,1 1/8" Gatorskins,XTR rear derailleur,DX thumbies,TB project 2 fork

Submitted by Stratocaster a Cross Country Rider from Hopatcong, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2010

Strengths:    -

Weaknesses:    The piece that goes into the derailleur. It broke. Plastic and not strong.

Bottom Line:
The unit failed on the piece that goes into the derailleur. I can't even say that it helped the shifting. Use quality, fresh cable and housing and I doubt there will be a need for this. But I guess if I had a two-niner I wouldn't ... well you know....

Similar Products Used:   Cables

Bike Setup:   S-Works Stumpjumper.

Submitted by gear freak a Weekend Warrior from hyde park, ma

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2010

Strengths:    if you are having sluggish shifting this may very well fix it. many years ago i built a bike for a woman installing early shimano handlebar end derailleur controls. she used a handlebar bag & i thought the best way was to route the shift cables under the tape to the stem. the shifting was bzrely ok. the following year the rollamajig came out, i installed that & it now shifts fine.

Bottom Line:
this does what they manufacturer claims, it is elegant & inexpensive. most bikes shift well, which is why i have only installed this on two bikes. if the bike shifts well, there is no point installing this.

Favorite Trail:   vehicular road cyclist

Purchased At:   do not remember

Bike Setup:   two road touring bikes

Submitted by Dave S a Weekend Warrior from Franklin, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to set up. Works incredibly well. Seems sturdy. Simple.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none

Bottom Line:
A huge improvement for a tiny investment. The Shimano pods and derailleurs were installed as an economical way to step up from 21 to 24 speeds. Shifting was smooth but not especially precise (front was okay, rear was the trouble). The Rollamajig was installed- I was not pleased to see no directions with it. But, it can only possibly go together one way. Setup is easy and it does shorten the cable run. The improvement in precision is astounding. It snaps precisely into the selected gear each and every time. There is no noise, no skipping, no drama, just silent and exact gear changes. It shifts with the same precision as the 21-speed SRAM setup it replaces. I believe this device will improve the shifting of any derailleur it can be installed on. The most "bang for the buck" I've ever seen on a bike! If your shifting is kind of sloppy and you can't seem to chase it out, this may be the solution for you.

Favorite Trail:   Winnepesaukee River Trail

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Elderly Mongoose updated with Shimano SLM-C20 24-speed pods. Running rebuilt STX-RC rear derailleur and NOS STX-RC hubs, crankset, and front derailleur.

Submitted by Huh? a Racer from All over the West Coast

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2008

Strengths:    Removes large section of housing. May help improve poor rear derailleur performance. Fairly cheep fix for something as vexing as poor shifting. I got mine for free, but would have freely gambled $20 back in my Top Ramin days to make my bike work.

Weaknesses:    The new plastic ones need to have their pulley bolt threads loc-tited(DIY). Some people have had their cable slip out of the shallower groove on the pulley of the old aluminum ones (probably a symptom of a loose cable while in the lowest gear).

Bottom Line:
Next time you replace your housing, take the cable and run it back and forth through the housing. Do this while you make the bend in the housing tighter. You'll be able to feel how much bend is optimal for the cable to slide freely. You really do need a ridiculously long piece for lower friction. Mine looks like it's about 10-12 inches long. I wish I could say the same for my manhood . . . sigh.
The Rollamajig cuts the amount of housing needed by about a half to a third. Though it looks like a stump lasso, I've never had a problem with long housing catching on anything. That being said, I never had any problem with the Rollamajig either. My recommendation is that folks try the longer cable housing first. If that doesn't bring you happiness, then try the Rollamajig. It's pretty cheep and if you don't like it you can always use it to make a great zip line device for your GI Joes.
ps some will argue that the longer the housing, the greater the friction . . . and they're right. But a short section of tight bend in the housing causes way more friction than a couple of feet of housing. And you can test this for yourself using the method outlined above. Good luck!

Favorite Trail:   My Happy Trail

Purchased At:   Freebie from sales rep

Similar Products Used:   Very long lengths of housing. I haven't tried the V-Brake noodle, but that sounds like a good solution too.

Bike Setup:   '94 stumpy M2FS: with Rollamajig (bike donated to friend after 10 yrs of abuse), '05 Stumpy FSR: with ridiculously long piece of housing for rear derailleur.

Submitted by pete a Cross Country Rider from swindon, wilts, uk

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2008

Strengths:    Stops muck slowing you down.

Weaknesses:    Ice! Ride through shallow rivers on a really cold day and the exposed wheel may freeze. i've only had it happen once, but worth mentioning if you live in norway!!

Bottom Line:
Shimano design all shifting products to shift well from the box, which they do. However chucking crud, sand, water, in large quantities provides a problem that all the geeks and computers in the world cant solve.
I have tried every cable and lube and set up going and i still suffered when dipped in a river and rode through smeg, always seeming to loose the smaller cogs on my rear mech when the cables start to slow down, forcing me to loose a bit of momentum. Avid's rollamajig made that all go away, cheap, easy to fit correctly, and tough enough to do the job(i ride like an idiot and i've not broken one!). It keeps me riding fast all of the time and not just some of it. I understand what some people have written about regular maintainence and my bike is looked after, before and after every ride but stopping mid ride for a cable clean and re-lube. If you ride long distances in sloppy goo demanding crisp shiftin no matter what crunchy noises the rest of your bike's making, get one, you wont be dissapointed!

Favorite Trail:   anything big and rocky

Purchased At:   wolly hat shop

Similar Products Used:   There arn't any but tried lots of differint cables and lubes, even uprated my mechs internal spring (which works a bit, just making shifting a bit heavier).

Bike Setup:   Custom kenesis frame, xt shiftin, xtr cables, magura discs and forks (bomb proof!), mavic rims, panaracer rubber.

Submitted by Alexander a Weekend Warrior from Haaksbergen

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2007

Strengths:    it works! I had cut the derraileur cable to short and had al sorts of shifting problems. I installed the rollamajig and the problems disapeared. Shifting is faster en lighter than ever before. Installed on a 2007 XT derailieur

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
best update for an Shimano derailieur

Purchased At:   lbs

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Irvine, CA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2007

Strengths:    I have to say, the previous reviewer is completely uninformed about this product and about bike setup. The Rollamajig works great to reduce friction in your cable and allows the cable to be much dirtier before it needs to be cleaned or replaced or your derailler adjusted. Does the previous reviewer realize that all SRAM dereaillers are designed using a similar method as the Rollamajig and they are known as excellent shifting deraillers? Everyone I know that has used the Rollamajig has been happy with it.

Weaknesses:    None that I can see.

Bottom Line:
If you have a nagging shift problem, try the rollamajig, it could save you a lot of headaches. Not saying it can fix every problem, but it sure helps in a lot of cases. And if you ride in a lot of dirt/mud, etc. and don't like to constantly clean/replace your cables and adjust your derailler to keep your shifting perfect, this product is for you. Despite what the previous reviewer said, it is not a scam by bike shops. In fact, they are doing you a favor, as without it, you will be in much more frequently to have your shifting adjusted or cables cleaned/replaced. They are saving you money, not ripping you off.

Purchased At:   The Path

Submitted by Bill Miller a Cross Country Rider from Pensacola FL

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2007

Strengths:    Good money maker for an LBS to add onto your bill.

Weaknesses:    Causes uncommanded shifting back and forth between two gears. Anywhere from about two to 20 times a minute. I am not kidding. VERY bad. Worse in the middle of the cassette than the large or small gears.

Bottom Line:
My fault. I agreed to a good sales act........
"it will make your shifting better"
"How so, my shifting is fine"?
It takes the slack out of the loop in the back, so it will be crisper"
"but the slack doesnt seem to cause any problem, it shifts fine"
"all the new derailuers will have one built in, it really is the way to go"
"ok, put it on"..... I had no shifting problems, but what the heck, only 25 bucks. Big mistake. Bike started uncommanded shifting from then on. After trying to let it break it, I went to a different LBS with a different mech. He immediately took it off and explained the problem with it. That "slack" has a purpose. The cable has to make a 180 degree turn from the front of the bike into the derailuer. That slack is there to prevent putting a kink in the cable. Which is what the rollamajig does. It wraps your cable around the rollamajig in about the same radius that you would have it if you wrapped your cable around your handlebars....not the proper way to rig a cable. That kink changes the cable from a straight pull tension device into a bending moment loaded spring. Depending on where your gears are ....and cable kink....it will change the load on the cable pull and start shifting on its own. Lots of stellar reviews, with a few reviews that had my problem. I suspect the rollamajig is a useless add on that has lots of psychological value if it doesnt noticably harm your shifting. Obviously terrible functional value if it does harm your shifting. Think about it....you are bending a metal push/pull cable 180 degrees in about the diameter of a dime. Like one reviewer said, if you have shifting problems, remove the rollamajig first. Good luck.

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Fisher

Submitted by Joel a Cross Country Rider from Kendall Park, NJ

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2007

Strengths:    Makes shifting much smoother.

Bottom Line:
I was having problems shifting and some shift misses and jumps, installed the Rollamajig and my problems seem to be gone. Best inexpensive upgrade I have done.

Favorite Trail:   Canal road

Purchased At:   Halters Cycle

Bike Setup:   Recumbent trike with XT rear Derailleur and Dura Ace bar end shifter in index mode.

Submitted by Nik Graham a Weekend Warrior from Scotland

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2007

Strengths:    Shifting feels lighter and crisper when you first install it

Weaknesses:    Exposes your gear cable at one of it's most critical and vulnerable points (think about all those big rubber frilly things Shimano have tried putting around your cables here to protect them)

Bottom Line:
I have to say that I don't find the Rollamajig useful. I commute 100+ miles a week on a rigid "Urban" bike (Revolution Courier) and play on my S-Works Epic every other weekend and I have no compulsion to buy a Rollamajig for either of these bikes after my experience of having one on my hardtail. Yes, when you first put it on you may notice a wee difference in the shifting, but I found a noticeably quicker loss of shifting performance with this gizmo due to all the cack getting into my cable in poor conditions. If you keep on top of your cable maintainence then I don't feel there's much of a benifit to using this unless you're staying in when it's wet and not going out in mucky or dusty conditions. So, just like all the cuffuffle over Super Duper Dry Chain Lubes, it works when the conditions are right, which in my book does not constitute good kit.

Purchased At:   Can't remember

Similar Products Used:   No Rollamajig

Bike Setup:   Me rollamajig was on my old School Steel Hardtail, '99 Rock Shox Judy XC, LX/XT mix, Hope Mono Mini on the front, and X-Lite bits here and there

Submitted by Lance Armstrong from Paris

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2007

Strengths:    Shortens cable length
Improves performance without weight penalty

Weaknesses:    Little ball can go rolling into oblivion if you accidentally drop it

Bottom Line:
I use the rollamajig with friction thumbshifters and even though that's probably not necessary, it still makes shifting a bit crisper.

Bike Setup:   Pacific

Submitted by Lance Armstrong from Paris

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2007

Strengths:    Shortens cable length
Improves performance without weight penalty

Bike Setup:   Pacific

Submitted by smokey strodtman a Cross Country Rider from Gilliam, MO USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2006

Strengths:    Smoother, more consistent shifts. Very inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This little gadget has made my bike shift better and more consistently. Although it shifted well before, I would get an occasional missed shift when I moved the lever one click. Using the Rollamajig has cured that completely. One of the best inexpensive modifications you can make.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Bridge State Park, Landahl Trail

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Lemond Poprad cyclocross bike set up for road and light trail riding with Shimano Deore rear derailleur, 12-32 8spd cassette, and Shimano Sora STI shifters.

Submitted by Bernie Resch a Cross Country Rider from Reading, PA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2006

Strengths:    easy to install, works great, cheap

Bottom Line:
Fixed my ongoing shifting problem. I had a kink in my cablehousing I found out when I installed the Rollamajig.
Buy shortening the housing to install the Manjig, it probably offsets some of the (minimal) weight gain.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Marsh

Purchased At:   beyondbike

Bike Setup:   Carbon Fully with XT, Hope, Thompson, Roox

Looking for a rollamajig

Anyone remember those? I'd like to by one or two without paying the $30 plus shipping they're listed for on ebay. Does anyone have an old one in their spare parts bin I could get from you? PM me please.Read More »

Avid Rollamajig...

I recently saw a bike using one of these and was wondering if anyone here ever used one and if it did what it said. Also, I remember seeing some XTR's in the late 90's/early 2000's using something similar. Who made that and what was the history of who/where the Rollamajig came from? I could hav ... Read More »

Avid Rollamajig: Anyone use them?

I hear Avid has stopped making them to have people buy the Sram Derailers in which has been designed into their newer derailers. However I found a site that still has some. How do they work for you if you have one? I am putting one on my LX derailer to get rid of that freak'n cable loop that has bee ... Read More »

Avid "Rollamajig": function?

I recently saw it on SRAM's website. This thing looks nice...and weird. What does it do? I know that it connects on your rear derailer...Read More »

Does Avid Rollamajig fix NRS Ghost Shifting Problems?

I was reading here and noticed that alot of people seem to have good luck fixing the ghost shifting problems with the NRS by installing an Avid Rollamajig. My bike is an 02 NRS with XTR rd and I have been having a problem lately with ghost shifting.Read More »