Vetta V100 Computer

3.57/5 (21 Reviews)

Vetta V100 computer has the following features: Temperature, Current, Average, Maximum Speed. Speed Comparator, Cumulative Odometer, Intermediate & Trip Distance.

Submitted by Samantha a Racer from Orlando, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2011

Bottom Line:
The V100HR WL2X combines the functions of a cycling computer with the HR features in a fitness monitor. It offers 21 functions including Vettas exclusive special features Timer, Dual Bike Memory, multiple Freeze Frame Memory. This is triple wireless with speed, cadence and the heart rate.

Submitted by Tomgb a Weekend Warrior from Warwick, RI, USA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2007

Strengths:    This is the simplest, most straightforward, and only wireless bike computer I've ever used. I have the version with Cadence and HR. The HR has become a crutch to me, and the next one I buy will definitely have this feature. Set-up is easy on a roadbike and the sensors stay in place pretty well. Vetta's three year warranty is great and necessary.

Weaknesses:    RELIABILITY and BATTERY LIFE!!! I've used this for 3+ years and Vetta replaced everything for a double-bike set-up over the summer 2006. That is two receivers, two sets of sensors, and HR strap, all under warranty. The new HR strap came out of the box with a leaky battry and non-functional. This was the second time around for this stuff, having already been replaced in 2004. Battery life on Alkaline Energisers and Duracells varies widely runs from horrible to marginal. Horrible is about two weeks, marginal is about 3 months. The only "battery indicator" I've seen is that the speed/cadence/HR stops working or gets erratic. Oh, and Warranty replacement took 5 weeks the latest time.

Bottom Line:
Buy it, use it, enjoy it, and be prepared to replace batteries often and be without it for unknown periods. The 3-year warranty was extended from 1 year by Vetta in 2004 for obvious reasons and there are still some bugs present. My seemingly off kilter value rating is based on the 3-year warranty as I have never had a wired one last more than 2 seasons.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Mini (~1987-ish), Cateye Solar w/cadence, Vetta RT-88, Sigma something with cadence.

Bike Setup:   853 steel w/ dura-ace 7700 and various wheels.

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Fletcher, NC USA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2006

Strengths:    Very visible, easy to install, lots of capabilities, wireless. this is for the V100A.

Weaknesses:    slightly difficult to calibrate, but once you get used how to it is no problem

Bottom Line:
Great computer, performing better than expected. Altimeter is a fun feature as well as the temperature gauge. I feel like a got a great deal. Everywhere I looked it was retailing for $139.00. beyond bikes had it for $89. and came out to $100. with shipping.

Favorite Trail:   Long Branch Loop

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes/online

Similar Products Used:   NA- looked at cateye,sigma, and others

Bike Setup:   Shift R5 all terrain

Submitted by Fred a Weekend Warrior from Austin

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2006

Strengths:    VL 110 (next generation): backlight, service reminder, temp, heavy duty wire . . . in addition to all the usual functions at this pricepoint

Weaknesses:    Geez. Zip ties to secure to handlebars, deceitful advertising about "auto start" function. You have to push a button. Very definitely NOT auto start

Bottom Line:
I'm a commuter when not on the trails. Which means I'm prone to taking alot of stop/start errands, etc.

The notion of a computer in this day and age -- what, a full decade after the rest of the industry was using a true auto start function -- which still requires you to push a button to power it up is just mystifying. It really doesn't matter what the thing can do beyond that. First and foremost the job of one of these things is to accumulate ride data. If the interface is so flawed that it can't do that dependably, all the functions and build quality in the world will not matter. AVOID.

Similar Products Used:   cateye mity 3, 8

Bike Setup:   Fisher Gitche, 8 sp deore lx rear der, front der, shifters, sram chain, brakes, cassette

Submitted by Auryn a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    solid array of data, easy to use. stores data for 2 bikes.

Weaknesses:    wireless sensor unit not designed for a mountain bike.
goes into a sleep mode that requires user to remember to wake it up.

Bottom Line:
won't work on most mtn bikes unless you fabricate a mount for the sensor so it can be close enough to the spoke magnet to register...
here's a better description and pics of the mounts I built for my 2 bikes:

once i got it to work, I've been very happy with it.

Favorite Trail:   anything with a hill

Purchased At:   beyondbikes.com

Bike Setup:   ventana saltamontes. fox vanilla fork. easton monkeylite riser bar, disc brakes.
jamis steel hardtail, marzocchi xfly 100 fork, avid sd7 brakes

Submitted by Nathaniel a Cross Country Rider from Lynnfield,mass,usa

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2006

Strengths:    When working, everything is great. Very accurate distance!! A lot of features. A great computer.

Weaknesses:    Have had to get it replaced, 1 week later it does not pick up speed. Back to REI...I'll try replacing the battery. Really annoying. They need to improve the efficiancy of it. Burns a battery in just a few days.

Bottom Line:
Well, good computer when working. I would not recommend this b/c of short battery time. Oh well, I'll give it a few more chances before I trade it under warrinty for somthing else.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn woods

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Old Trek computer, Bell. This is my first "nice" computer.

Bike Setup:   Marin Bear Valley, Reaba Team poploc, U-turn, Deore, 5-d truvativ cranks.

Submitted by Oren a Weekend Warrior from Bay Area, California

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2005

Strengths:    the altimeter is what sold me on finally getting a computer. the percent grade is a cool feature, tho i'm not sure exactly how accurate it is, or if it requires that the head unit be mounted at a flat angle. the total elevation gain and max elevation are nice.

Weaknesses:    It's not designed to be mounted to a modern [full-suspension] mountain bike, despite the fact that the manual shows pictures of it being installed on a mountain bike. There's absolutely no way to get the transmitter unit close enough to the spoke magnet, out of the box. I had to fabricate a mount that places the transmitter within the required few millimeters distance of the magnet. I doubt that it would work well on a fork with more than 4 inches of travel - but i'm about to find out... The transmitter is not ambidextrous - it's only designed to go on the left leg of the fork. It would be better on the right leg, out of the way of the disc brake (or at least out of the way of the cable).
I suppose that computer manufacturers don't really take full suspension bikes into account.
It's got a fairly lame sleep bug - it does NOT wake itself up automatically (when the wheel moves), but as long as you remember to hit any of the buttons, this isn't really a big deal.

Bottom Line:
after seeing my friend's wired computers go thru cables, I figured wireless would be the way to go on a bike with front suspension.
My fork is really not that big (30mm stanchions); nevertheless, it required a whole lot of effort to fabricate a mount that would bring the magnets close enough for the computer to work. So unless you have a really old school mountain bike, or are a roadie, or don't mind fabricating your own mount - I couldn't recommend this computer.
But since I did get it to work, I have been pleased with it. Lots of fun data. All in all it seems pretty tough - I don't go easy on my bike, so it's been thru some pretty nasty conditions - hard rain (got caught in a sudden storm), lots of mud, high temperatures, lots of bouncing jarring trail.
It took me a while to figure out how to use it - especially pre-ride altimeter calibration, but after reading the manual several times, i think i finally got it down.
If it was designed better to work on a FS mountain bike, I'd happily give it 5 chilis.
oh yeah, it's pretty expensive, but so's every other computer with an altimeter.
I'm not sure how accurate any of the data is, but it's not like my life depends on it.

Favorite Trail:   resolution trail

Purchased At:   beyondbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   none. first computer I've owned

Bike Setup:   '02 ventana saltamontes with stock 4" rockers and a fox float-R shock, x-fly 100 fork (30mm stanchions), bunch of parts...

Submitted by dan a Weekend Warrior from memphis, tn

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2005

Strengths:    wireless - light - easy to use - cadence
easy to set up

Weaknesses:    burns batteries every 60 days- both me and a fellow rider had the same problem - stopped displaying cadence after 60 days - would only work if you drive the cadence pickup near to the display unit (not possible normally).

Bottom Line:
don't buy it
both me a a buddy had the cadence go bad within 6 months and burning batteries at a high rate.
works great except for this critical point.

Purchased At:   perfromance

Similar Products Used:   trek wired, db wireless, other trek units

Bike Setup:   litespeed tuscany- ultegra 9 speed - mavic wheels...ultegra group

Submitted by Neil a Cross Country Rider from Saratoga, CA USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2005

Strengths:    Has all the functions you need. In particular, I like the Max HR tracking that many HR monitors (Timex) don't have. I use it almost daily on my road and mountain bikes.

Weaknesses:    I have not seen anyone else mention this, but lately it seems to burn through strap batteries. The symptom is the HR goes wacky once your HR gets over 110 bpm. I contacted the manufacturer and all they said was that was the sign of a weak strap battery. I have tried numerous batteries from different stores and manufacturers, but the longest I get out of a battery seems to be a week. Sometimes a change in battery has no effect. Anyone else having this problem?

Bottom Line:
Nice product and I have the both the wired and wireless cadence kit, but unfortunately with the problem I am having I am looking for a different product. It sucks to get started on a ride, to see the HR go wacky once you start getting your HR rate up.

Purchased At:   Airbomb.com

Similar Products Used:   Timex (no max HR and bike functions), Cateye (no HR function)

Bike Setup:   Enduro Pro, and Trionfo

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Plainsboro, NJ

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2004

Strengths:    Large easy to read display with logical menus.

Bottom Line:
(This is for the wireless version)
Been using this computer for about a year now. More than 2000 miles gone by without a single problem, didnt even have to replace either battery. Great product.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel

Submitted by Malcom Moody a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2004

Strengths:    NOTE This review is for the wireless speed/cadence model.
Totally wireless, heaps of functions

Weaknesses:    If you have zero'd its timers and start to ride, the comp will auto start from wheel rotation - good.
When you ride off and then pause for a while it will go to sleep - good.
When you take off again, it will not wake itself up!!! BAD
To wake it up, you have to remember to push a button to manually kick it off which of course you don't think to do until your miles down the road and glance down at your non-existent speed.
While its asleep it does not continue to accumulate data such as distance etc so when you do wake it up you've lost heaps of data. - VERY BAD

Small text around the outside of the display is rather hard to read as its very close to the bezel edge.

Bottom Line:
In concept its a great computer but its totally let down by this one problem.
How stupid that it can start from a wireless trigger (front wheel) but can not re-awaken itself via wireless (the wired versions are ok) input.
I always forget to stab a button to wake it up so I loose heaps of data before I look down and remember (and curse).
Only takes a couple of minutes to go to sleep so this happens all too easily.
Rather sorry I bought it. I'll be buying the new Mavic to replace this joke computer.
Only 2 flamin' turds as what point is there in having the extra weight of a computer that isn't recording anything.

Purchased At:   online USA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Flightdeck, Cateye Astrale, Enduro, Mity 3, Velo 5, Vetta C5, Echo F2

Submitted by tracy from okc

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2003

Strengths:    wireless, durable, big display, big buttons, thermometer.

over 16 months now and the batteries are still going.

bike I and bike II, i flip back and forth for mountain miles and road miles.

Weaknesses:    do any computers light up ? i wish this one did.

Bottom Line:
my first computer, but i can tell it's a good one.

i don't stress about replacing a 2-cent zip tie, most bike shops will give you one for free. 16 months of hard riding and only 2 have broken, one on the handlebar and one on the fork.

no adjustments have been needed for this wireless V100 model.

i accidentally washed the head unit at the laundromat the other day, in one of those front-loaders. i know it got roughed up because the previous day's data was reset, and the new timer had reached 7 mins. those of us who own these units know that the flat button on the face needs to be pressed for 2 or 3 seconds in order to reset the timers, and pressed again to start a new one.

tip: when you snap the unit off the handlebars, do it over grass until you get used to it, because it will squirt through your hands to the pavement below.

Favorite Trail:   Tom Steed Reservoir, in the ancient Wichitas of SW Oklahoma

Purchased At:   a disappointing bike store in okc

Bike Setup:   hardtail mtn bike

Submitted by Troy Mc a Weekend Warrior from antelope, ca

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2003

Strengths:    The model that I have is the V100A. The plus side is that this computer is loaded with tons of features. I purchased the wired cadence kit and the unit works very well. There does not appear to be oversensitive to mis-alignment of sensor and magnets. I have not yet played with the altimeter much so can't speak on that feature. The auto start-stop feature appears to function very quickly. I mean, it will stop with about 2 seconds after the wheel stops. This is important if you don't want traffic lights to affect your average speed.

Weaknesses:    I only have a few item that I wish were better:
1. While the speed display resolution is down to 1/10th of a mph, in reality, the display does not appear to change until there is a 0.3-0.4 mph change in speed. This make it difficult to determine if an apparent increase in effort is having any affect on speed. This is especially true if you are riding near your peak capability. Not good for trainging.
2. The atimeter (per documentation) lacks the sensitivity of other computers such as the ciclosport CM414/CM434. The vetta is sensitive to about 10 foot change in altitude while the ciclosport is more like 3 feet.
3. The average cadence function is a cool feature. But it does not appear to take into consideration freewheeling time when you are not pedaling. Thus, if you do a lot of coasting, your average cadence is not penalized.
4. It would be nice if the altimeter would work continueously while of the bike. It would be cool in a car but it's no big deal.
5.Lastly, it would be nice if the unit would display current speed and log odometer miles when the timers are off.

Bottom Line:
Can be improved with a few software changes but overall, it's a nice unit.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, Axiom, Timex

Bike Setup:   Road bike

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Providence, RI

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2003

Strengths:    This is a review for the cordless V100HR. This is a pretty sweet piece of equipment, if you ask me. As far as the cyclocomputer functions go, it's great. You've got your current speed, trip distance, average speed, max speed, and odometer. Plus two tire sizes, so you can use it on two bikes (which I do - I have the wireless mount kit that came with it on my mountain bike, and I bought an extra long wired kit so I could mount it on my road bike and be able to use it on my trainer. It will keep separate odometers for each bike, too, which is cool). It also has an optional tune-up timer, which I guess is a neat feature for someone who might need a reminder for when to service your fork or something - I was too lazy to set it up, though, personally :-).

With the addition of the heart rate monitor features, this thing is awesome - I don't have an awkward watch HRM cluttering up my handlebars anymore. And the HRM features are great - current HR and percent of max HR while riding, or at any time you can freeze the computer so you can look at time in and out of (above and below) your zone, as well as avg. and max HR for the ride (you can do this at the end of your ride, too, which is what I have been doing to review the info afterwards).

Both the batteries in the head unit and the transmitter are user replacable, which is a bonus over many of the Polar HRM's with similar features, from what I've heard. It's also cadence compatible - so if I ever want to do that, all I have to do is by the cadence kit. The wireless kit has been working pretty well out on the trail, too - this is my first computer that is wireless, and I wasn't too sure how it would perform off road, but it's doing quite well.

Weaknesses:    The only thing resembling a weakness that I've been able to find is that the handlbar mount is secured to the bar only with a kind of rubberized adapter and zip ties. Yeah, it's secure, and yeah, it doesn't require any shims to fit yer bars (like my old specialized comp did), but if I get a new bike or new handlebars or something, I'm gonna have to get some new zip ties. Which I guess isn't that big a deal, but still, it would be nice if I didn't have to do that.

Bottom Line:
This is a sweet computer - computer plus HRM functions all in one. Coupled with the deal I got it for on eBay (NIB), It gets straight 5 chilis from me!

Favorite Trail:   Lincoln Woods

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Comp classic.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Plantation, FL

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2003

Strengths:    Clear displays, fairly intuitive controls, wireless kit , can convert wired kit to wireless .

Weaknesses:    Speed transmitter failed at 3 months. The transmitter case uses plastic loops that can break when the plastic tie-wraps are pulled tight, esp on front forks that are slightly bladed. I broke one of the loops on mine but I found that a pair of long tie-wraps will also hold the transmitter and latch on to the grooves in the case.

I had some problems with the speed transmitter pickup but now that the transmitter is completely dead perhaps it was never really working? I am waiting to see if Vetta will replace the transmitter before I give up. In contrast the cadence transmitter is further away and has never failed.

Bottom Line:
This could potentially be a HOT computer. I want the wireless because it makes for a VERY clean speed/cadence setup.

I think if I bought it today I would get the one with altimeter V100A instead of the plain V100.

The design of the atachment points of the wireless transmitters is poor but if you don't pull too tight on the tie-wraps you should be OK.

I think I got a bad speed transmitter and as long as Vetta replaces it proper I think this is an good product.

Favorite Trail:   road

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   Topeak Panorama wireless , various Cateye.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Catalyst (1997) w Dura-ace groupo, Topilino-wheels, Axial-pro tires, Avocet saddle.

EDIT:Anyone lose (WANT) a Vetta v100 on Braille in Demo recently?

Well I found it... EDIT: Anyone want it? Throwing away if no reply.Read More »

Opinions on Vetta V100 Wired

Looking at getting a new computer and was considering the vetta V100 wired version. What do those of you that have used or are using this think of it. It will be going on a mountain bike and I ride pretty much all mountain. I have used the cateye enduro 2 and enduro 8 in the past and they have be ... Read More »