Vetta V-80C Computer

1.25/5 (4 Reviews)

V-80C

Submitted by petrel a Weekend Warrior from Canberra

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2001

Strengths:    Nothing that I'd call a strength. When it works it does the things it says it does...the operative words being 'when it works'.

Weaknesses:    Unrealiable. Here I am enjoying a good thrashing ride up big hills, a great workout, and my V80C ('C' = Cadence) decides to reset itself - complete and utter reset, no chance of recovery - the computer-head's 'bluescreen' equivalent.

Damn, damn, damn. I'm coping better than my damn computer.

Now there might be a reason for this...if your coasting with pedals parallel, maybe the cadence sensor is sending spurious, vibration-like signals to the computer which may be sending it psycho. On auto-reset, the LCD panel display lights up like a christmas tree - so to speak - and then clears after about 30 seconds at which time it nonchalantly asks 'kms or miles Sir?'...like it's fresh out of the box. Grrrrr.

Here's a thought... I also wear a POLAR HRM transmitter - wonder if the pulse it sends is having an effect?

In one ride of 60ks, the V80C auto-reset 4 times. The battery is only 30 hours old so it can't possibly be the problem, nor is it the contacts because both the battery and the computer have a snug fit in their respective mountings.

Bottom Line:
Why is reliability so hard to buy these days. I can just cope with the 'throw-away' mentality, but please make stuff that doesn't give up the ghost when you need it most.

Clunk... that's the sound of the Vetta V80C being neatly deposited in the rubbish bin of disappointments and regrets.

Now, where'd I leave that Cateye catalogue...

Purchased At:   Canberra

Similar Products Used:   Catey Enduro 2 on my mountain bike - faultless, reliable, rugged and attractive (yeah yeah, I know - 'just like me')

Bike Setup:   Cannondale 3.0, Araya rims, Shimano 105 all round - nothin' fancy.

Submitted by Gene a Weekend Warrior from Peachtree City, GA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2000

Strengths:    Cool looking

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work as stated!

Bottom Line:
The Vetta RT88 wireless is, in my case, pretty much useless. The transmitter had a very difficult time locating the computer, no matter where it was mounted. It gave erratic readings when it did work. What was a real disappointment was the box says "auto-start".... No chance!
I've packed it up and sent it back!

Similar Products Used:   TREK Sonic 2.0, CatEye Enduro 2

Bike Setup:   TREK 6000 stock

Submitted by short a Weekend Warrior from A-town

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2000

Strengths:    Nonewhatsoever

Weaknesses:    The Vetta computer has a plastic base that WILL break after you get so mad that you smack the computer because of its failure to compute. Don't remove the computer when you bike up to the local store or work because after doing this a few times, the computer will become loose and eventually not read. I rode for a long day in the mountains and looked down to find I actually only rode 3 miles. Wow, what a useful product... Why doesn't some bike computer company include the temperature? and a lighter.

Bottom Line:
stay away from Vetta. Just ride and forget about your speed and milage. Carry a watch.

Favorite Trail:   N.GA

Similar Products Used:   Only if I get another computer for Christmas.

Bike Setup:   RckyMT.ht

Submitted by Mike D a cross-country rider from East Greenwich, RI

Date Reviewed: November 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have been riding for many years and have had several bike computers, the Vetta V-80C is unequivocally the worst one I have ever used. Not only does this thing (I can't bring myself to call it a computer) not work, it pretends to work at times, providing false and sporadic readings. The buttons do not work correctly and it is next to impossible to reset it with out taking out the battery. There is nothing more irritating then spending 30 minutes of ride time trying to get your bike computer to work. I only have two questions for Vetta: How are you still in business? I have never heard a good word spoken about any of your products. Does anyone in your company ride? This is a rhetorical question, no rider would ever sell a product of this caliber to a fellow rider. You would be better off taping a Power-Bar to your handlebar.