Vetta RT88 Computer

• Auto Start/Stop

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Roy Low a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2006

Strengths:    Easy setup and intuitive. Have it on two bikes and it works really well. No complaints there.

Weaknesses:    Perhaps more colours? And bigger buttons.

Bottom Line:
    Get it!

Favorite Trail:   The great outdoors!

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Enduro 8

Bike Setup:   Lemond Chambery, Kona Jake The Snake

Submitted by David Smith a Cross Country Rider from Seeley,Ca

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2005

Strengths:    Ease of set up

Weaknesses:    Auto start , the package say's it has,the website say's it has ,the manual simi clearly says it dose not. If it dose have auto start mine dose not work I,m still waiting on an E-mail reply from Vetta to clairify this.

Bottom Line:
    If I find that the RT 88 should have auto start and can get it to work I should be happy if not I probably will not.There is no way I will be able to remember to push the button every time I start rideing after a stop.

Favorite Trail:   Doneaway

Similar Products Used:   Vetta RT33 and Bell both wired and worked great.

Bike Setup:   Mountain bike

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2004

Strengths:    Easy to set up and very accurate. Good indicator both size and information. Handlebar mount is the best I've used, the computer is held solid.

Bottom Line:
    Best value computer I've used.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Turbo

Submitted by Mike M a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2004

Strengths:    Precision to 0.1 mph, works with Performance Axiom transmitter.

Weaknesses:    Delayed display, trip odometer could have 0.01 mile precision, could not get the Vetta transmitter to work.

Bottom Line:
    I don't like it. The speedo seems to tell you how fast you were going about 2-3 seconds ago. This is really annoying... I would start a downhill and look down and it would say I was still going 8mph... Or after I would stop it would say I was still going 15mph, then 9mph, then finally to 0. I never noticed such a delay on my Axiom.

I was using it with my old Axiom transmitter. I figured maybe if I put the Vetta transmitter on, somehow that would solve the problem. I couldn't even get the Vetta transmitter to work. I returned it and am back to using my old, scratched up, reliable Axiom.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Similar Products Used:   Performance Axiom 8.0W.

Submitted by Jared a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2004

Strengths:    Stronger reading than some other wireless computers I have used (Cat Eye 7) - even without a direct line of sight. Very solid bar mount compared to others (not just zip ties). Other computers have flown off my handle bars from crappy mounts.

Weaknesses:    It says on the box that it has auto start/stop . . . not true! I you sit for five minutes the thing will stop reading until you press a button.

Bottom Line:
    Would love this thing if it actually had the auto start/stop. I can't be relied upon to always press that button - especially if I use the bike for adventure racing where the measurements are really important and you may be starting/stopping all the time.

Favorite Trail:   Strawberry Peak

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   several Cat Eye products

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    Great price!! very accurate and reliable. Wireless!!!!

Bottom Line:
    It does the job!! The buttons are NOT hard to press?? Very easy to set up.

Favorite Trail:   John wayne Trail

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   2002 Specialized FSR xc disc

Submitted by joe from kingwood Texas U.S.A

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2003

Strengths:    very accurate and reliable

Weaknesses:    the sender will not stay put. had to epoxy it to the fork

Bottom Line:
    very accurate and reliable. matched my dad high dollar wir system. Just tape of glue the sender

Favorite Trail:   gunsmoke ranch

Purchased At:   bikesource

Bike Setup:   2000 giant xtc se2

Submitted by Damn Yankee a Weekend Warrior from Edison NJ

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2003

Strengths:    Clean design. Easy to set up.

Weaknesses:    Heavy magnet, transmitter secured with brittle wire ties.
    wireless frequency is the same as the wheel speed sensor in my car. It will clock the milage and speed of my car when the bike is on top being transported

Bottom Line:
    It does the job but I was really disappointed about the computer clocking milage of my car. It seems the frequency of the wheel speed sensor (I assume) is the same as the computer. I went on a trip 200 miles away with my bike and when I got home I was impressed that I was clocked at a top speed of 86 MPH on the computer! Not too bad for a rookie mountain biker. I admit that I was bit by the clean look of the wireless setup but I think I have to go with the wired cateye from now on.

Favorite Trail:   Chimney rock

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   2002 Klein Adept race disc

Submitted by Joel a Weekend Warrior from Bellingham, WA USA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2003

Strengths:    Easy set up, durable

Weaknesses:    Buttons are difficult to press, USPS logo and stars look goofy

Bottom Line:
    At first I was concerned about the line of sight issue between the sender unit and the receiver and the positioning of the sender unit. I tried different positions for the sender unit, and even when I mounted it on the opposite side fork from the receiver-just for experimentation- it still worked fine (even though there was no apparent line of sight). On a suspension fork, the sender unit sticks out quite a bit towards the spokes, so I was concerned about dammage from rocks, sticks, mud, etc. This also has not been a problem. All in all it does exactly what it is supposed to do and has taken quite a bit of mud, heavy rain, puddles, and rocks with no problem.

Favorite Trail:   Blanchard Mtn

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Giant AC Air

Submitted by Charles a Weekend Warrior from Lund Sweden

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2003

Strengths:    Sleek unobtrusive design passes well with retro road bikes of the aero era.

Weaknesses:    No one seems to mention what I feel is a MAJOR problem with this computer, namely the magnet. It is in a steel housing with a clumsy set screw and it weighs a ton (well maybe not quite) which causes a pounding imbalance at high speed. I made my own magnet unit with a plastic housing that weighs about half as much and when mounted opposite the valve stem it almost balances out.

Bottom Line:
    I have really only just gotten it all installed so I can't really comment on its reliability. Aside from the stupid magnet design the computer itself seems very nice.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere without cars

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   I have other computers, Cat eye and Sigma but this is my only wireless.

Bike Setup:   The Vetta Rt88 is mounted on a1988 OLMO Corsa

Submitted by Brandon a Weekend Warrior from Lincoln NE

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Strengths:    good features for the price, no wires to break or wind around your bike

Bottom Line:
    if you want a descent wireless then this is the way to go. Mine set up in about 15 minutes, no problems since.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Scheels

Similar Products Used:   vetta 55 wired

Bike Setup:   '02 gary fisher tassajara

Submitted by BadHabit a Cross Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Strengths:    Wirelessness

Weaknesses:    Wirelessness

Bottom Line:
    I finally figured out that line of sight between sensor and head unit must be preserved for proper function. In my case, this means mounting the sensor behind the fork leg (unorthodox). I can look down over the bar and through the v-brakes and fork leg and see the sensor directly below the head unit with an unbroken sightline. Sensor must be high on the fork leg. Also, I notice that quality of signal varies with magnet used--some are apparently more powerful than others (in fact, my RT88 will not work at all with lesser magnets). This product can be frustrating to get up and running reliably but is satisfying when operable.