Vetta RT288L Computer

• Handle bar mounting
  • Water resistant

Submitted by mtbman007 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2013

Strengths:    it was cheaper than other wireless units, the display is large and clear (when it works).

Weaknesses:    It worked for not quite a year, then quit. Cheap plastic cover scuffs easily. The fork-mounted transmitter is as big as a VCR. Well, that might be a slight exaggeration.

Bottom Line:
This was possibly the worst cyclocomputer I ever bought. I got it on sale, and I bought it because it was a lot cheaper than the Cateye micro wireless. That was a big mistake. I put it on a spare bike that I rode for less than 100 miles. When I went to use it for the first time this season, it came on and then showed some gibberish on the screen. I didn't get very much use out of this at all, and it's my last Vetta product. I've never been let down by Cateye products; they're tough, easy to use and set up, and the battery life is much longer than any other product.
In fairness, the battery could be the problem. I literally used it for 5 or 6 rides. I need better reliability than that. I don't even want to put another battery in the Vetta; I simply don't like it enough, and will always be wondering how long before the battery goes. I'm going to throw it out and buy another Cateye; I'm using an iPhone ap when I ride this bike in the interim.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Micro Wireless, Cateye Mity 2, Cateye Enduro 8, Sigma Sport, many others.

Submitted by ZaWeebs a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, Ga

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2010

Strengths:    Wireless, LED for night riding, great functionality, ability to show 2 selectable lines

Weaknesses:    Stopped working after 1 year. Chrome "cover" flaked off after 6 months so I put the clear one on.

Bottom Line:
I liked this computers functionality, good battery life and many options with 2 lines of selectable information makes this a great computer to use. Too bad it stopped working.

Favorite Trail:   Chickopee

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   handful of other wireless computers

Bike Setup:   Titus X, Fox F100 terralogic, mavic, chris king, Juicy 7, XTR group

Submitted by kjarg a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2008

Strengths:    Simple and Elegant split screen makes finding the info you want quick and easy. The wireless worked great. Secure mounting.

Weaknesses:    Lack of stem mounted option.

Bottom Line:
The RT288 provides lots of function with no confusion or compromise. The wireless transmitter cleans up the lines of the bike by eliminating clutter while providing a strong signal. It holds up in long arduous races in the dirt, on the road and even in rain. The back light makes reading the computer convenient even for the early morning commuter.

Favorite Trail:   commuter lanes

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   Cyclocross with fenders, a rack and T-servs

Submitted by CinderKona a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2008

Strengths:    great display, interchangeable face plates (if you care), durable, back light.

Weaknesses:    no auto on feature.

Bottom Line:
This is overall a great computer. the transmitter once mounted correctly holds onto the fork very firmly, I have not had any problems with it shifting. the display is very easy to read with the speed in larger digits. the computer itself also mounts very securly to the handlebars and I have not had any problems with it pooping off during a fall like many other computers have been known to do.
This computer is also very reliable, the other week I got caught in the middle of the woods during a thunderstorm ( intense Florida thunder storm ) and at first I was worried about the computer getting damaged but after being covered in mud and water the computer still worked flawlessly!
My only problem with this computer is that it must be manually turned on, normally not a big deal but since it turns itself off after about 5 min it becomes a problem after you take a 5 min break then continue to ride only to discover that the computer was off during the last mile or so after your break, perhaps getting into a habit of checking to see if it's on after your break would prevent this.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia