Vetta C15 Computer

3.16/5 (58 Reviews)

Vetta C15

Submitted by Lake Minnetonka Rider a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2014

Strengths:    Easy to use. Bullet-proof. No frills. Gets the job done.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I installed this on my Giant Innova in 1998. I hate it!! Why? The darn thing still works! It's been 16 years! I can't buy a new one until this one dies. That's the rules that I have to live buy. I've neglected it, I've ridden in the rain, I go through all the big mud puddles, I've dropped it on the ground. Nothing will kill it. I've had to replace the batteries a few times over the years, but beyond that it's been rock solid! No frills, just works. Gives me what I want.

Duration Product Used:   16 years

Submitted by L D

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2014

Strengths:    Absolutely bullet-proof, accurate and easy to use and read. I had one attached to the handlebars of an old Univega road bike that hung out in the barn for FIFTEEN YEARS without being used. Yesterday, when I went out to clean up the bike, I pushed the button and it came to life like it had been out there only a week. Once I cleaned the dust off, it looked like new, and it operates like a new one, as well. GREAT product!

Bottom Line:
This is probably the best value in existence for a cycle computer. A bargain at $30.

Submitted by B-Dawg a Weekend Warrior from Hinsdale, IL USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2008

Strengths:    Reliable

Bottom Line:
I've had the Vetta C-15 for as long as I've had my mountain bike, which is at least 15 years. It's performed like a champ and I've never had a problem with it. Spent about 8X the amount on a bike computer for my new Specialized Roubaix road bike and the computer went back to the store before the first week was up.

Favorite Trail:   Waterfall Glen

Bike Setup:   Wheeler Mountain Bike

Submitted by doc a Cross Country Rider from York, Pa

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2008

Strengths:    Bomb proof

Bottom Line:
I've had this little Vetta since 1993, and it has worked without issues. Just recently I purchased a high output LED light that freezes my "new" wireless unit - so its back to the Vetta. The thing is amazing.

Favorite Trail:   everywhere

Purchased At:   Pedal Pushers, Hbg, PA

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar, Planet Bike

Bike Setup:   Surly Long Haul Trucker

Submitted by Roger Keeling a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR.

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2006

Strengths:    Durable, long battery life

Weaknesses:    Programming functions are confusing.

Bottom Line:
This little comp has been very durable, taken all kinds of weather, and the battery life has been exceptional. Some others on this list complain about it suddenly "not working" without reason. Here's the reason: check the sensor magnet. If it gets knocked off center even a little, the comp simply stops working. I do almost no off-road, and this computer might not hold up to that; it has only a friction mount, and while I've never had it slip off I think it easily could in even small crack-ups. My main complaint is the programming: you have to be in a particular mode to clear the trip odometer and certain other readings, but there's no visible indicator on the readouts about that. A few of the read-outs are kind of silly. Mostly what I'd like is a clock, speed, and trip distance (plus cumulative odometer). The C-15, which is the model I have, does not have a cadence reading, which I think I'd like (never had one before, but can see the value). Average speed and maximum speed are both here, but of minimal value to me.

Thing is, the C-15 is a very old unit. I STILL see them listed occasionally (at eBay, for example), and even saw a new one on clearance at a bike shop this summer (and then it was just $12!). If you happen to see one cheap, grab it.

Favorite Trail:   Springwater / 40 mile loop

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Bike Setup:   Trek 750 (from about 1992). Nothing special.

Submitted by Brad Stanwood a Cross Country Rider from Portland OR

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2005

Strengths:    Does everything I need. Ive owned this Vetta c-15 for 10 years and only replaced the battery once.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't do the peddling for me.

Bottom Line:
Have never needed or even though of replacing this unit. Anyone who suddenly looses input should check their magnet and sensor location.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   Bobs Bikes

Similar Products Used:   only computer Ive ever used

Bike Setup:   an old trek 6500

Submitted by David Ecsery from Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    Works well. Long battery life.

Weaknesses:    Wheel size is forgotten when the battery goes dead.

Bottom Line:
My wife and I have a C-15 and a C-20, both for quite a few years. They're interchangeable, although you can't measure cadence except with the C-20 on its own mount. Both have been adequate and trouble-free, but we don't ride off-road, and haven't crashed. Either we've been exceptionally lucky with these, or they're a good bet on a road bike but not robust enough for folks who ride in rougher conditions.

Submitted by Andrew Nixon a Cross Country Rider from Santa Barbara, CA - USA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Strengths:    Durability, functions, cost

Bottom Line:
I strapped this bad boy on 7-8 years ago and haven't had a problem yet (only had to change the battery once). It had all the functions I need:

Speed - Current, Average, Max
Distance - Trip, Overall
Time - Clock, Trip

I haven't used any other, but this one has been great.

Favorite Trail:   Downhill from my house...

Purchased At:   One of the local bike shops

Bike Setup:   15+ year old Legran High Gear

Submitted by Josh Smith a Cross Country Rider from Los Osos, California, US

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2003

Strengths:    The c-15 is the best computer ive used and has lasted forever untill it went through the laundry and messed up the lcd sceen, but before that ive dropped it on trails and it popped open and the pieces scattered everywhere but i just snapped it back togeter and it worked fine.

Bottom Line:
If you can get one of these they last untill you wash them

Favorite Trail:   anything offroad

Purchased At:   dont know

Bike Setup:   Specialized s-works

Submitted by Mario a Downhiller from Maipú,Santiago-Chile

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
Hasta ahora me ha funcionado perfecto, ningun problema, facil de instalar, funciona en todo tiempo y clima, pero ahora si tengo un problema, el sensor se rompió con una caída y no tengo de donde obtener el respuesto, o sea me quedé con el computador intacto pero sin poder usarlo debido al sensor muerto.

Purchased At:   Importadora Caupolican

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from San Dimas, CA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2002

Strengths:    It's worked forever. I've used it, just replacing the batteries, for almost eight years on three different bikes! I've used others and so have others in my group. Nobody has had the luck I have had with this computer.

Weaknesses:    Not really. I do wish sometimes I had a cadence reading but it's currently on a single speed. I can count fifteen rpm.

Bottom Line:
Awesome. You can't find it anymore. It came in a lot of different colors. I love it. Never have I had a problem. Fifteen bucks can't be beat.

Similar Products Used:   Newer Vetta, Specializeds, Cat Eye

Bike Setup:   XC Single Speed

Submitted by Jimbob a Weekend Warrior from Nottingham, UK

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2002

Strengths:    Piece of cake to use and setup. Nice transparent body. Small but easy to read. Nice buttins.

Weaknesses:    Mounts are a bit flimsy. Released by pushing it forward so it can get knocked off. Watch that wire!

Bottom Line:
This has been a great bit of kit for about 7 years until it packed up for no apparent reason - the screens fine, just won't detect the pulse. Never had a moment's trouble with it until now. I've just bought a wireless Trelock (who?) fc300 and it turns out to be the same as the C-15 - same modes, same display (but a bit bigger - yay!) and same setup. The buttons are not as nice and don't click, and it's a bit bigger but it pushes forward to lock so I won't be knocking it off!
If you want another C-15 but can't find one then get one of these.
If I could have found another C-15 I would have bought one no question.

Favorite Trail:   Anything off-road

Purchased At:   Olympic Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trelock fc300 wireless.

Bike Setup:   Dawes Acoma, RST's, disks etc.

Submitted by Howie a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdae

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2001

Strengths:    Incredibly durable

Weaknesses:    Weak mounting screw for the spoke magnet

Bottom Line:
Okay, here's the thing, this computer is a real no frills deal. This thing could kick the energizer bunny's ass. It just keeps going and going and going. I tokk a nasty header straight over my bars last year on a rocky downhill. The bike landed square on the computer and smashed it into three pieces. I managed to collect them so as not to leave a pile of what I thought was garbage in the desert. When I got home I figured, what the hell let me see if I can get this thing back together. All the parts just snapped back into place, I had to buy a new battery, but otherwise it's as good as new. One year later I am still riding with the same computer. Kudos to Vetta for making good crap cheap.

Favorite Trail:   Pima & Dynamite

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula, magura hydraulic rim brakes, blah, blah, blah

Submitted by Ajax a Cross Country Rider from Korea

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2001

Strengths:    compact, cool looking carbon-fibre finish

Weaknesses:    magnet and pick-up on the largish side

Bottom Line:
It worked great until today when it stopped reading signals from the magnet. Don't know if a wire broke in the housing or if the 'puter got water in it from a mudpuddle or something. But it was fairly cheap and served me well until it crapped out. A good buy, and I'll consider Vetta again.

Favorite Trail:   perimeter road

Purchased At:   Ebay, I think

Bike Setup:   2000 Rockhopper

Submitted by Ilan a Weekend Warrior from Modi'in, Israel

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2001

Strengths:    It does what it's supposed to

Bottom Line:
I've had it for 3 1/2 years and it's been working with no problem all this time. A year ago the display was hit and the right side has been flooded since, but the C-15 still works and retains all its functionality. There's nothing more really you would want from a cyclocomputer at this price.

Bike Setup:   Marin Nail Trail with Bontrager Revolt SS tires