Vetta C-350 Computer

2.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Vetta C-350

Submitted by Mark Sabus a Weekend Warrior from Laguna Niguel, CA. USA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2000

Strengths:    set up is relatively easy. buttons are accessible and simple. functions are clearly displayed and easy to understand.

Weaknesses:    some difficulty getting the sender to pick up the signal, but after a few tries, got it reading. I would lose the signal if I got above 24 MPH, blank, zip, nada.

Bottom Line:
At first glance, this seems to be a nice computer; it gives good reading with trip distance, total distance, and trip time; however, the speed (MPH) function really dissapointed me. I could tell how fast I was going when I got over 24 MPH. Not fun on the big down hills.

Favorite Trail:   singletrack or smooth asphalt

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   a Sachs-Huret, many moons ago

Bike Setup:   a Fuji Club with Shimano 600 (circa 1985)

Submitted by Matt a Cross-Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: November 18, 1999

Strengths:
Wireless
Easy Set up
Accurate
Comes on and off easily

Weaknesses:
Nothing Yet

Bottom Line:
I have rode this thing for over 1000 miles on and off road. I eat crap all the time while on the trail and have never had a problem with this computer. It does not rattle like others say, the bar mount has never moved an inch and the transmitter that fits on the fork has given me any trouble either. If you take time to set it up right the first time, you should not have any problems. I love this computer. The fact that is wireless is also good. Set up is a no brainer and it comes on and off very easily if you need to clean. This thing is a worth at least 5 stars due to the fact that I never have to dick around with it and it was cheap $35

1 Year

Submitted by Steve a Cross-Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap

Weaknesses:
Cheap
poorly designed
highest speed malfunction

Bottom Line:
First off, the transmitter portion is poorly designed. It is actually made of two parts: clamp and transmitter. It has a very thin stalk of plastic that attaches the actual transmitting unit to the fork clamp. it visibly vibrates up/down/back/forth while riding. Also, the speed display reads zero if I go much past 30 MPH. After taking a couple downhills, other riders clocked us at over 40 mph, yet the Vetta logged only 31.5 mph.
On the plus side, the display unit is sturdy (I think they re-designed it recently, as the instruction book showed a different mount than the one I got) and all the other functions work as they should. (small consolation)
It's almost not worth the trouble to pack the thing up and pay to mail it off for a replacement.Stay away from this one folks...

less than 1 month

Cannondale R1000 (road bike)

Submitted by DARRYL a Cross-Country Rider from SAN MATEO CA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 1999

Strengths:
NONE

Weaknesses:
FALLS APART HARD TO SET UP

Bottom Line:
THIS IS MY 4TH ONE THANK GOD PERFORMANCE KEEPS EXCHANGING THIS FOR ME SENSOR HARD TO SET UP THEN MY SCREEN FADED OUT THE 3RD ONES BOTTONS FELL OUT JUNK

SKEGGS

3 months

VETTA C 500

ZASKAR

Submitted by Michael a Cross-Country Rider from Charlottesville

Date Reviewed: September 27, 1999

Strengths:
It works consistently once properly installed

Weaknesses:
Tedious set up, cheesy handlebar mount won't clamp securely to the bar (use electrical tape)
Limited fork mounting options

Bottom Line:
It's not perfect. I retuned the first one I bought because it went out on a downhill run - I suspected a vibration issue. I really wanted wireless so I figured I'd just exchange it for a new one. I've been happy ever since. The only thing I hate is that the bar mount won't clamp securely and I have to use electrical tape to close the gap , but at least I know it will move before it breaks in the event of a bad crash.
I won't give it a perfect rating due to the hassle of installation, but read-outs have been consistent. I'll let you know what happpens when super wet conditions bwcome a factor in my riding routine this winter, but by then there will probably be something else on the market.

one with dirt,roots and rocks

6 months

Sigma, Cat eye,specialized

Judy SL

Submitted by MRT a Weekend Warrior from Ajax Ontario Ay

Date Reviewed: September 20, 1999

Strengths:
Wireless speed calculations work well once set-up properly.Not made for any type of mountain biking (although Vetta claims it is).

Weaknesses:
Big fat transponder that
attaches to the base of your fork. Then, it breaks off during a bouncy downhill run.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT IF YOU INTEND TO DO ANYTHING BUT CRUISE THE STREETS. WIRELESS WORKS WELL, BUT THE HUGE TRANSPONDER ON YOUR FORK IS HELD ON BY A TINY PLASTIC PART THAT WILL BREAK OFF THE MINUTE YOU DO ANY SERIOUS TYPE OF OFF ROAD RUN. SAVE YOURSELF FROM WASTING $ AND BUY CATEYE CORDLESS THAT WON'T FALL OFF AFTER A FEW RUNS. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY.

Dagmar