Home | Reviews | Computer | VDO

VDO Z3 Digital Wireless Computer

The Z3 PC-Link is a cycle computer with integrated heart rate monitoring, altimeter, cadence, calorie consumption, power measurement (WATT), data storage, PC-interface, fully digital wireless transmission for speed, heart rate and cadence. All VDO compute

Submitted by nickboers a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2012

Strengths:    Longest transmission distance advertised on the market. Speed sensors can be run on the rear wheel so it will work on the trainer as well as on the road or trail. It displays and calculates a lot of data.

Weaknesses:    Setup menu isn't intuitive. Once familiar with it, it's not a problem. Wife finds her new Polar HRM easier to use. Internal components of the buttons broke down starting at 12-16 months. No low battery indicator, the computer starts to behave erratically when the battery is low.

Bottom Line:
I've been very happy at times, and very frustrated at times with this computer. Once I realized that every time it was behaving very strange it meant the battery was low, I felt better about it. I've found batteries to last 8-9 months. If bought in quantity from electronics suppliers, the batteries are 50 cents a piece.

The altitude button failed first, and the unit froze up as if the button was pressed permanently. It wouldn't do anything. It's sustained some crash damage, so I assumed my warranty would be no good, so I took it apart and removed the altitude button. The timer/pulse button went 6 months later. An email to VDO explaining the problem, and that it was crash damaged resulted in VDO immediately telling me to send it to them for replacement. No proof of purchase required. My impression is it's a known defect. Hopefully my new unit doesn't suffer from it as well. The replacement showed up 3 weeks later.

Value is high due to the price I paid.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Cateye computer from decades past. Modern VDO wired models.

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R3SL, Devinci Dexter SL.