Home | Reviews | Computer | VDO

VDO Z1 Digital Wireless Computer

The Z1 is a cycle computer with integrated altimeter, cadence, power measurement (WATT), fully digital wireless transmission for speed and cadence.

Submitted by BrettStuart a Cross Country Rider from Gold Coast, Qld, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2010

Strengths:    Huge amount of Altimeter data available. Logical design and user interface with lots of data easily accessible. Wearable as wrist watch for hiking.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I bought this product after 6 months of the agony of living with the Niterider 8. I just love Altitude, so I persisted with the Niterider 8 for a long time, eventually searched for an alternative, too many rides with data lost, shortened from unwakeable sleeps, the VDO Z1 looked good in the feature set and reviews, and I can say it works great. It doesn't have heart rate like the Niterider 8, but I grew out of that, I know how hard I am working, and there is a heart rate model Z2 available if you must have that. This is a mature product, with the kinks ironed out of it. It just works. Good solid German engineering with a sensible user interface. Well done. With smartphones available with incredible GPS apps (I use the iPhone with several), there is one area none of them can go - barometric accurate altimeter.

Favorite Trail:   Single Track on a ridge