Home | Reviews | Computer | VDO

VDO MC 1.0+ Cycling Computer w/Altimeter Computer

4.38/5 (13 Reviews)

VDO MC 1.0 Plus Altimeter Wireless Cycling Computer. Functions: Odometer for Wheel 1, Odometer for Wheel 2 -- Total distance (combined odometer for both wheelsets) -- Freeze Frame function --

Submitted by Deep Inquiry

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2012

Strengths:    The altimeter is what I wanted so I could keep track of the total elevation gain on my rides on mountainous trails. It works well in all other respects and I don't use all the functions, but like the distance records, top speed, highest percentage of gain, as well as average speed and elevation gain that are available.

Weaknesses:    The weakness is that the computer is a bit slow, so when one rides down a small canyon then up the other side it isn't keeping pace in real time and I think the readouts aren't completely accurate, in that they seem to record less gain one has actually completed. The speedometer is more accurate in real time, so I think it is just the altimeter that is both slow and inaccurate.

Bottom Line:
Overall this computer is much better than others I have used, and keeps records well. I have had no trouble with it and it keeps functioning after taking a significant number of tough spills on the trails. I am looking for another computer that is more rapid in the altimeter department; I'll look into some of the pricier VDO models, though this one was pricey enough.

Submitted by Aslan a Cross Country Rider from Chico, CA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2012

Strengths:    Has an altimeter.

Weaknesses:    Does not function reliably.

Bottom Line:
I just want it to function reliably. Barring that, I would like someone in the warranty department to get back to me after sending four emails over the course of 6 months. I don't feel like that is an unreasonable expectation. I have read the manual, many times. I have changed the battery many times. I have checked the wiring and connections. It just doesn't work. That happens sometimes. I get that. It is how the company handles a defective product that matters and on that score..... 1 flaming turd for VDO.

Favorite Trail:   The one I am riding

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Cat Eye AT 100 - was great for 10 years.

Bike Setup:   Moots Cinco & Moots YBB

Submitted by easymzm a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2010

Strengths:    Lots of info on display at once, reliable (so far), large easy to press buttons, Altitude functions.

Weaknesses:    Some items on display could be larger, not cheap

Bottom Line:
A great computer with a lot of info on display at once on the screen. It has three buttons which are all easy to press even on a moving bike with gloved hands. The altimeter is fairly accurate and a great feature for those crazy climbs. I have yet to have any issues with this wireless computer.

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Similar Products Used:   Sigma sport BC1100, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Blur XC CArbon Fox F120 RLC,

Submitted by JZazzi a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2009

Strengths:    -Altitude, %grade, and speed are permanently displayed. Those are three of the most useful numbers in cycling, no digging in menus to find them!
-Memory for two bikes and tire sizes (road and mountain in my case)
-Absolutely bomb proof: I once sent it through the washing machine on accident and it wasn't harmed in the least! It's been through a bunch of crashes on the mountain bike too.
-really well priced for what you get!
-big, easy to read numbers

Weaknesses:    -sometimes have to manually calibrate absolute elevation when leaving the house, but the delta gains and %grade are always accurate. (any altimeter that uses barometric pressure and temperature will fluctuate like this, as a result of changes in local weather) The elevation changes with weather by only a hundred feet or so, it's not a really big deal and I usually don't bother recalibrating.

Bottom Line:
The three buttons easily separate the commonly used mileage functions, the altitude functions, and everything else. Changing settings and navigation is really simple.

Did I mention mine survived a trip through the washing machine on accident?

The build quality is top notch. I've been using mine for over 6 years now and it shows no signs of fatigue.

Get one, seriously.

Favorite Trail:   Demo, UCSC, Mt. Hamilton

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   various cheaper computers without altitute

Bike Setup:   one mounting kit on the road bike, one on the mountain bike, and a heat rate monitor next to it

Submitted by TahoeBC a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2009

Strengths:    Good features

Great warranty

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to give this a big thumbs up for a great 5 year warranty and great service to back it up. They now have a presence in the US (New Hampshire). Started having some problems so I emailed them for support, got immediate feedback, was asked to mail it in, did that on a Monday, buy Thursday I got confirmation that my new computer was in the mail.

Similar Products Used:   AT 100

Submitted by dick52 a Racer from san jose, ca. usa

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2008

Strengths:    many features for altitude. great for training for climbing. two odometers is a great thing to have. I love to know what grades i;m climbing

Weaknesses:    had to warranty the transmitter after second week;they sent that out for free. Altimeter went out after 1 year and 8 months. have to spend $28 to send it back to germany for warranty repair. don't know if its worth it after one other repair

Bottom Line:
after two problems, i don't think i could recommend this computer.

Favorite Trail:   hicks road

Purchased At:   bikesomewhere.com

Similar Products Used:   avocet 50. it was off about 4% on altitude

Bike Setup:   kestrel 200sci

Submitted by Roy Bloomfield from Avon, CO USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2008

Strengths:    Everything already mentioned.

Weaknesses:    The only possible negative might be that it's a bit heavier than the units that don't have an altimeter...but that should only concern weight weenies on road bikes.

Bottom Line:
One thing I learned while setting wheel size is to use the method of marking your front tire and the floor where they meet and moving forward through one revolution and precisely marking that spot on the floor/ground where the line on the tire hits its low point. HERE"S THE TIP: make sure you're on the bike when you try this as that pressure will change the circumference of your tire! Also, it's important to be on a uniformly hard surface, and make your line as straight as possible. My road bike tires are listed as 700x23C, which is 2133 cm (84"). When I measured without my weight on the bike I calculated 2118 cm (83 13/32"). With my weight on the bike, it measured 2103.4 cm (82 13/16")! This difference will be more pronounced with a mountain bike, given that the tires depress more than on a road bike (because of lower pressure).

Submitted by Roger Haferkamp a Weekend Warrior from Agoura Hills, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2008

Strengths:    Well built, accurate, altitude functions.

Weaknesses:    Mount, fork sensor easily broken

Bottom Line:
I got this for training for the Death Ride a few years ago. Had tried several others but this one is the best. The mount can twist off (break) if your heavy handed like me and I broke the fork mount once by tightening the zips too much. Spares are readily available.

Favorite Trail:   Chesbro

Purchased At:   Bike Somewhere

Bike Setup:   Mountain and road

Submitted by geoff a Cross Country Rider from stratford, CT

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2007

Strengths:    Accurate, loads of features, Altimeter! Case is larger and thicker than most computers, looks rugged. Bikesomewhere and ibexsports.com (importer) were great in support when i needed it.

Weaknesses:    None, assuming you understand that extreme changes in weather will require an easy operation of resetting the barometer. Initial computer had multiple problems.

Bottom Line:
This is for the wired version of the MC1. I wanted to avoid some of the finikyness that I had read about online before I bought mine. My second unit has been flawless for about a month now. With daily riding, I've only had to reset the barometer on it twice, and that was after major snow storms. I ride the same single track trails every day and see very consistent results. My first unit arrived with multiple problems, it kept erasing the settings i would enter, the altimeter would dramatically climb on it own while it rested on my desk, the first time I used it it shutdown and never came back. I emailed Bikesomewhere, they referred me to Ibexsports who called me and sent out a replacement and a call tag the same day.
I'd give it 5 chilis except for it's cost.

Purchased At:   BikeSomeWhere.com

Similar Products Used:   sigma 1200, sigma 1600 wireless

Bike Setup:   RM XC

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2007

Strengths:    Multiple ways to interpret altitude gain.

Weaknesses:    Could use a few more functions: GPS, heart rate monitor, cadence, ability to download email and play mp3s, and a police radio scanner.

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome product for those who enjoy climbing. There are plenty of other functions - distance, time, etc. - but this is obviously a computer for those who enjoy getting high. So many read-outs - altitude gained, total altitude, slope percentage, average grade, etc., etc. - and so little time to read all those read-outs. That's why it's so much fun.

Purchased At:   bikesomewhere.com

Similar Products Used:   The version Specialized put out (stolen, with my bike) - which had fewer altitude functions, and has been discontinued. Too bad, I thought it had a cleaner interface.

Bike Setup:   Basic Stumpjumper hardtail disc.

Submitted by Logan a Racer from Concord, CA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2007

Strengths:    features, durability

Weaknesses:    will pick-up electric pulse from laptop computer, and/or (VDO) speedometer in car (BMW) and begin reading computer and/or car's info as speed, inclination, etc.

Bottom Line:
Main reason for owning this unit is the altimiter. All functions work well and realiable, despite weather, trail and road conditions. If you know you're going into a race or century and can get the data -- total elevation gain, distance, etc., you can use this computer to find appropriate training rides.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe-technical; Weaverville Basin