Home | Reviews | Computer | VDO

3.63/5 (16 Reviews)

VDO Aero 8.0

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Oak Park, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2006

Strengths:    NOTE This is for a VDO C3DS Wireless not Aero8.0. This is THE BEST computer I have ever used. All others are toast. 1) It is not fussy whatsoever about the gap between the magnet and the sensor. Mine is like at 5-6 mm.. all other brands are VERY fussy 2) The menu structure is SUPER EASY to learn and use... about 2 minutes, and virtually impossible to forget it is so intuitive. 3) The transmitter has a little green LED on it that blinks when it is transmitting so you know it works 4) It uses a digitally encoded transmission which virtuallly eliminates interferance from other computers or other EMI sources. 5) The readout is relatively large and easy to read. 6) It's a nice XT silver color which matches my bike perfectly. 7) It's not fussy about the distance or line of sight from the transmitter to the head unit... most other brands can be very fussy. I haven't tried it yet but VDO claims a range of over 1 meter so it should be possible to mount the speed transmitter on the rear so that it will work when the bike is on a trainer. I am planning on getting a 2nd transmitter and mount kit and trying this unit on my road bike. 8) The magnet has a really slick little mounting system that doesn't mar or nick the spokes. 9) It has lots of really great features and provides all kindof cool ride data. My last pricey Vetta wireless is now on its way to it's final resting place... the local landfill.. where it belongs.. Value is based on does it work, does it last, did it cost less than a 747. Cheap is cheap... You can buy other wireless units for less but no a single one stacks up to the VDO C3DS. MountainBike Europe's #1 best pick computer..

Weaknesses:    NONE NONE NONE (except maybe a bit $$$$, if I had to buy it at normal street price ~$65).. Don't know about durability yet. But you get what you pay for..

Bottom Line:
Install was a piece of cake. Setup and use is a slice of pie. This unit just plain works. This computer, or the 1DS, 2DS or 4DS are the ones to buy (depending on what features you want and how much $$$ you wanna spend). Check out the VDO web page for more details

Do yourself a favor and buy one of the VDO DS series computers... You will not regret it.... I will write another review after some more experience with the unit.

PS: MTB Review.... Please start a category for VDO DS computers... movee this review there.

Favorite Trail:   POTOWATAMI !!! ROCKS

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Vetta C-5, 15, 20, 100 Wireless, Ascent wireles, Cateye wored and wireless Miti, Gary Fisher wireless

Bike Setup:   Pre Trek Klein Pulse II, All mega 9 XT with Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80, Profile carbon bars, DT Hugi/Mavic 517 wheels, Raceface rings, profile stem, syncros sea post, WTB SST Ti saddle, XT cassette, XTR chain, AVID Mag brakes, Rockinest bad AXX black single track hardtail on the planet bar none..

Submitted by Erki a Weekend Warrior from Tallinn, Estonia

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2005

Strengths:    No wires, easy to set up and use, good big display.

Weaknesses:    No backlight (if it is, please email me (click on my name)).

Bottom Line:
Pretty good product. I don't have the problem about its weakness, it has fallen several times with and without a bike, but it's still working well. Setting it up is a snap, I took it from my old bike and put it to new, no problems. Lacking of wire is also very good, this eliminates the problem of breaking the wire, also a criminal can't cut the wire. I replace the computer's battery roughly once a year, in my opinion, this isn't much, as the cost of battery doesn't kill me and of course, wireless computers eats more than the usual wired ones.

But mine doesn't have a backlight. It doesn't have a blue button too. It looks like this: http://www.wrower.pl/sprzet/akcesoria/liczniki/images/vdo_aero80.gif . If anybody knows, how to activate backlight, PLEASE EMAIL ME (click on my name). Thank you!

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Trek 820.

Submitted by Anders a Cross Country Rider from Italy

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2004

Strengths:    This is the only computer that I ever had for my MTB, and it has worked just perfect for 3 years.

Weaknesses:    If you want to change the wheel size......... It's impossible. I have absolutely no idea. I have tried and tried and tried with no luck. If anybody knows how to, please mail me

Bottom Line:
When you're on the first battery and initial configuration everything works fine. If you would like to change anything..... you're stuck.

Favorite Trail:   The alps

Bike Setup:   Quite normal freerider OLMO MTB.

Submitted by -k a Weekend Warrior from Victoria/taipei

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2004

Strengths:    PLEASE NOTE: this review is for VDO sprintlux. Don't know number.
functions, reliability, low battery consumpt

Weaknesses:    slips out easily

Bottom Line:
I've been using this thing for almost 4 years now. Still on 2nd battery. I have around 7000 KM on it. A rough guess. Don't watch the odo much.
It works nicely. easy to set up. wire snapped unexpectedly, was able to separate conductors and reconnect.
I don't do higher drops, but it has fallen out on smaller stuff and the occasional fall. I'm used to it and check for it before I ride away. If i get into regular riding that makes it fall out often, I can easily throw an elastic band or a zap strap to keep it on. Haven't had any problems with breakage like the others. There is a reset button if there is.
I have managed to get the backlight stay on for an extended period of time (pushed blue button again to turn off)on a couple of later night rides. I have absolutely no idea how. I would really like to know how to do this reliably. Please email me if you know the secret.

Purchased At:   closing out store last day

Bike Setup:   older RM hardtail updated. X-vert Super, fat tires etc. pretty basic
VDO Sprintlux, don't know number

Submitted by ekim a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2003

Strengths:    I don't have the VDO computer that is listed here. I own the VDO \ C10+ wireless computer which is easy to set up and use, has two wheel sizes for road and mtb. easy on \ off click system for switching to other bikes.

Weaknesses:    Drop it once maybe it'll work for you, drop it twice and it's toast.

Bottom Line:
Great computer if it was a little more durable. Buy it but don't drop the darn thing. Overall rating is affected because of how fragile the computer is.

Favorite Trail:   Shorthills

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   Trek (road) Norco (mtb)

Submitted by Fulco a Cross Country Rider from Neuchâtel

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I riding with this speedometer since more than 6 years now, and made more than 20'000km with it. It never broke down-only this year I changed the battery- and it's always working reliably.

Some other "computer" will have a lot more options than this one, but for me it has the most important features: speed, riding time, time from starting point (including breaks), cumulative KMs and finally the clock.

It even sustained heavy rain one day, which I was sure to lose it, but it hold on and is still working :)

Great stuff!

Bike Setup:   Very easy!

Submitted by Zac Nesper a Racer from Palo Alto, CA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2001

Strengths:    This product was fantastic when I first got it. It read accurately and flawlessly for about 3 months.

Weaknesses:    Once you sweat on this thing it's all over. Typically at about 18 miles on a warm day, this thing shuts down because of sweat. It's almost uncanny how predictable this problem is. The unit goes haywire...often reads that I'm going 42mph up hill-That would be nice, and maybe possible if I was churning at a cadence of 214 like the readout suggests.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it!(unless you don't sweat). VDO is on the verge of having a fantastic product—they need to work around the sweat/water issue. Until they do, stay away!

Favorite Trail:   Up Kings Mtn, down Canada Rd.

Similar Products Used:   Avocet

Bike Setup:   Guerciotti with Dura Ace

Submitted by Rod a Cross Country Rider from Long Island, NY

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2001

Strengths:    Looks good

Weaknesses:    Never worked from day one! Try getting it replaced or repaired. The #!@%* company is in Germany! For the cost of the long distance phone call, you could probably replace the damn thing with a specialized.

Bottom Line:
Buy a name brand from your local shop. If it doesn't work out of the box, you have recourse.

Purchased At:   Pedro's Festival

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   Everything else is great. Giant NRS 1.
Kenda Crystal tires.

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2001

Strengths:    Good display. No wires.

Weaknesses:    Super-fragile piece of junk. Expensive.

Bottom Line:
This computer was great until I accidently dropped it. It only fell like 3ft. from the ground. The display now only shows just a bunch of jibberish. I figured there's no point trying to get this weak piece-of-crap computer fixed, it just isn't worth it. I don't recommend this computer.

Favorite Trail:   Saratoga Gap

Purchased At:   www.bikeworld.com

Similar Products Used:   Sigma BC 800

Bike Setup:   Yeti AS-3, Marzocchi Z.1 X-Fly, Chris King, Mavic D521, XT.

Submitted by Homer a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati,Ohio

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to install, easy to use

Weaknesses:    I bought this computer after reading the rave reviews.
The wireless setup was a snap.
After using it for two months, it fell off my bike, hitting the floor, and stopped working. I honestly told Bikeworld the problem may have been my fault. They sent me a new one for a 20% discount. I had that one for two months, and then I knocked it off a bench while changing handlebars.
It stopped working.
A cycle computer should be able to take a two-three foot drop on the floor without failing.
Them computer worked, but was absolutely the most fragile piece of junk or computer I have ever owned.
Back to Specialized

Bottom Line:
Maybe you'll have better luck than me. Having had two fail with just a mild impact from a two foot drop, I'd never buy another one. The electronics are just too fragile.

Favorite Trail:   roads of blue ash

Purchased At:   Bike world

Similar Products Used:   Cateye 2, yuk
Specialized, great

Bike Setup:   Colnago, Campy, Spinergy, 3T

Submitted by Chad Halverson from Henderson, Nevada, USA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2001

Strengths:    Sleek design and solid mounting.

Weaknesses:    This computer flips out if the wheel is stopped with the magnet on the sensor. At a stop lights I have picked up 5 or 10 miles on my trip distance and my maximum speed can jump to over 100 MPH. This defeats the purpose of even having a cycle computer, I can guess my trip distance and max speed better that this.

Bottom Line:
Get the Nashbar cordless computer. It's mounting is not as clean, but is less that half the price and I have yet to see mine flip out with the wheel stopped.

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar cordless

Bike Setup:   Casati road bike With Campy-Daytona 9-speed.

Submitted by Ed Elefante a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, Arizona USA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2001

Strengths:    Compact and several easy to use functions, plus it has a nice blue (Indigo type backlight). Has 2 tire memory, in case you switch between 2 different sized tires, like I do, between slicks and off-road tires...

Weaknesses:    Manual for unit wasn't too detailed but fairly self explanatory.... Price? These were labeled Kienzle Sprintlux VDO's. The model was fairly new back then and I didn't know what a good deal for it was... so I don't know if $45 is a good price for these....

Bottom Line:
If you haven't tried any computer system or want to upgrade, these are the ones to get... Simple to use, has the backlight for nightriding viewing.... Easy to mount and dismount... what more can you ask for!

Favorite Trail:   All of 'em!!

Purchased At:   http://www.swissambicycles.com/

Similar Products Used:   heard these were great so I only have used this one.

Bike Setup:   Trek VRX200 - Stock components: Shimano LX Components, JetDesigns Light System, great bike!

Submitted by Ed a Weekend Warrior from Pasadena

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2000

Strengths:    this thing is great -- accurate, reliable, durable. Same company made the speedometer on my Audi.

Weaknesses:    got to measure the front wheel circumferance, but this is pretty easy

Bottom Line:
buy it