Trek Sensor Computer

2.89/5 (56 Reviews)

Trek Sensor

Submitted by JDYeakel a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2014

Strengths:    Rating is for my old 1992 Sensor

Weaknesses:    Rating is for my old 1992 Sensor

Bottom Line:

Similar Products Used:   I am actually looking for a manual for the original Trek Sensor with a one line display, circa 1992. Anyone have an idea where I can go to download a copy? I have not used the Sensor for about twelve years. Checked it today and it turned on! I would like to relearn how to use it.

Submitted by Steven Stross

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2012

Strengths:    Simple to use and CHEAP!!!

Weaknesses:    Don't know what left button does

Bottom Line:
Found the battery for it. Named LR44

Submitted by Angel a Weekend Warrior from Valrico, FL

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2011

Strengths:    Simple

Weaknesses:    Need to replace battery and have no idea as to replacement number

Bottom Line:
Can I get someone to tell me battery replacement number for Trek Sensor Computer?

Submitted by theo999 a Cross Country Rider from dundee, il

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2009

Strengths:    i have three of the original trek sensor bike computers made in 1992. these are the ones with a single large line of data on the display. ancient ! however, it is very easy to read in all conditions. they are as accurate as my modern cateye and appear to resist rain. (the box claims they're waterproof) the function buttons don't accidentally activate.

Weaknesses:    well, the warranty expired 15 years ago... bummer. and , they don't made them anymore. in fact, trek seems to have forgotten they made them at all as modern tech support was totally clueless. good thing i still have the impossible to find manuals :-)

Bottom Line:
get these 'puters if you're lucky enough to find them. someday, your less-than-perfect eyes will appreciate the gorgeous displays. i am happy to share electronic copies of the manual if anyone wants one. here are some excerpts:

for inputting wheel size codes for accurate speed readouts, do this: input factor by pushing the right key until ODO appears on the readout. Press the left key for two seconds. left key will now select digit to input and the right key will advance to the desired digit. press left key when input is complete.

wheel size factor inputs : 20" = 1596. 22" = 1759. 24" = 1916. 26" = 2073.

"with tire" wheel size inputs: 700x25c = 2124. 27"x1" = 2136. 27"x1 1/4" = 2155. 700x38 = 2170.

ride on !

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   none, really. except my strada cateye.

Bike Setup:   i have three bikes in my stable. two 1995 F700 c-dales and a 2007 F5 c-dale. the f700s are feather-light as mountain bikes, weighing about 24 pounds each.

Submitted by ts8169 a Cross Country Rider from Newburyport, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2009

Strengths:    Tells the time well

Weaknesses:    Worked for about 20 miles, Difficult to navigate menu's

Bottom Line:
I recieved this product, or comperable Trek computer product (Incite 6i - 2005), as a gift. So I ditched the old computer for this model with more rugged looking hardware. Given my first computer lasted 8 years and thousands of trail miles, I thought this would be my last computer with it's brand name and heavy duty wiring. Turned out to be junk. Got it up to about 20 miles on the road, then it gave out. Even with a fresh battery and 1-hour of adjucting the magnet and sensor, it will not connect. I believe there's a flaw in the wiring, but it tells the time great. This is the first and LAST Trek product I will ever own. What a waste.

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Submitted by trebor1 a Weekend Warrior from Medina, Ohio

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2008

Strengths:    works well - I need a manual. I lost mine

Weaknesses:    none - I still need a manual - where can I find one?

Bottom Line:
I need a manual for this thing.

Favorite Trail:   towpath

Purchased At:   Eddy's bike shop

Bike Setup:   hybrid

Submitted by Neal Bayless a Racer from Boardman, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
Great for the money. Symplistic to use. Very durable. While clearing it out on my last ride at 23mph I pushed it off its carriage and onto the pavement. Didn't affect it.
Great for general info..no cadence. Great buy for someone who just wants the basics. Speed, Milage/Kilometers, avg speed, time of workout,odometer, max speed

Purchased At:   on bike when purchased used

Submitted by John Mentzer a Weekend Warrior from Medfield, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2004

Strengths:    Available at time bike was purchased

Weaknesses:    Unit sometimes "freezes", like a PC

Bottom Line:
Bought new with my Trek Y22 in the mid 1990's. Unit worked reliably 'til last season, when I experience "freezes", where buttons wouldn't change display, it it wouldn't update. Uses #386 battery, which is less common than CR2016 my Cateye ATC uses.

Sensitive to position of pickup. Fell over in a 'rock garden' on one ride, erratic speeds reported 'til I noticed pickup on fork had moved slightly when I wiped.

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Solar, Cateye ATC (*love* to find another ... even a broken unit if only for the mount)

Bike Setup:   Trek &22

Submitted by Paul Mehltretter a Cross Country Rider from Mankato, MN

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2004

Strengths:    Simple, rugged, waterproof design. Still works flawlessly even after 6 years of use.

Weaknesses:    wire and sensor are not very rugged; best kept on roads and light trails. Had to replace the reed switch on one of my two Sensor computers; good as new after that, although I should have replace the wire too right away. The only other problem was that the battery contact springs have worn, requiring a shim between the battery and battery cover to ensure constant battery contact (lots of vibration caused the thing to reset). Overall, it held up slightly better on the road bike than the xc bike.

Bottom Line:
Obviously this computer's wire is not rugged for off-road use. It remains trouble free electrically speaking; only mechanically has the sensor failed. I think some of the new lcd's are easier to read in low light conditions, but this does what it's supposed to. I give it 4 Chilis overall only because it still works 6+ years of use.

Similar Products Used:   Sensor 2.0 (bigger display, way worse magnet mount)
Gary Fisher Axiom (exact same as original Sensor)

Bike Setup:   '03 Raleigh Professional (Shimano 105); Trek 950 (LX/XT)

Submitted by Chris H a Weekend Warrior from Cardiff, UK

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Strengths:    Reliable, durable, easy to use and setup.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bit of kit. Does the job well or did until recently when it gave up due to cable damage (did buy it in 1997 though). It outlasted the bike which can't be bad. Mate of mine bought an identical model at the same time and his is still going.

Favorite Trail:   Afan Argoed, Wales

Bike Setup:   Specialised Rock Hopper Comp with discs

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh, Pa

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Strengths:    Big display, Durable, Buttons are easy to press, Easy to set up and Easy to reset

Weaknesses:    Pain to keep pressing buttons to find something.

Bottom Line:
I've had this thing since around 93-94, I've ridden through snow, rain and everything else, the sensor has never let me down. I don't know about the new one's but mine is like a take that keeps on going. My only complaint is that it only shows one thing in the LCD at a time, but I would rather have that than a new one that apparently breaks. I give it 5 chilis cause mine has yet to stop working.

Purchased At:   Gronski Bikes

Bike Setup:   Trek 820, Rock Shock fork

Submitted by Mark from Jacksonville, FL

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2002

Strengths:    Accuracy, Durability

Weaknesses:    forget how to set and frequently went from knobbies to slicks and speed/dist was probably a little off with slicks.

Bottom Line:
Holy smokes!! I don't know about the recent model Sensors, but I bought mine back in 96, rode three times a week for three years, rode here and there the last few years. I recently switched to Rock Shox and remounted, Bracket barely fit around fork. You won't believe it, but this thing still has the same battery and has never strayed more than a minute or so except for daylight savings.

Submitted by Roy Burnham a Racer from Columbus, OH

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Strengths:    Good Pace indicator, easy read display

Weaknesses:    Wire quality, computer mount quality, no support from TREK

Bottom Line:
After hit and miss success using this comp on my Cannondale T700, I went to remount this computer on my new Surly. I found that the wires had so badly deteriated, that I coulodn't get accurate reading for speed. The thing would flake out weekly when riden anyway. I just found out that the sensor is discontinued so I can't even replace the mount. Don't bother with this thing, go with Cat Eye or Vetta.

Similar Products Used:   Avocet, Vetta, Cat Eye

Bike Setup:   Surly Cross Check with 105 and Rolf Vector Pro's

Submitted by mark jones from ft walton fl

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2001

Strengths:    last years model was made by "vetta"

Weaknesses:    99-00 model made by "who cares"

Bottom Line:
Trek computers (older ones) were great, this new 3.0 I ordered & have suffered thru using for months is ridiculous,PLEASE save yourself the misery & get something else! (even the clock speeds up).the Cateye Mity3 had all the features I was looking for after all, & I'll be retrofitting the bike with the rinkey-dink trek-sensor this weekend, no wonder it's shaped like a tombstone!

Favorite Trail:   eglin

Purchased At:   Bobs

Similar Products Used:   cateye

Submitted by Lee a Weekend Warrior from Quincy, MA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2000

Strengths:    Easy to use, good info provided, is sturdy

Weaknesses:    Contacts get a little coroded after a while, would like more features for the price.

Bottom Line:
I don't know why this computer is getting such bad reviews. I've had two over the last 4 years, and have only had one minor problem with them. The contacts got a little cruddy, so it wasn't picking up any info some times. I scraped them w/a flat head screw driver, and it worked like new again. I've had 2 of these 'cause I lost the first one.
Over the 4+ years I've been using these I've never had any malfunctions (besides the mentioned above). I've crashed many times- more than I'd like to- and it's never broken. No frayed wires, no self resetting, I've even driven with it on the bike on top of the car on the highway in the rain with no ill effects. It's worked perfectly for me. I'm wondering why all these people have had problems with it.

Favorite Trail:   Trail of Tears