Trek Radar Computer

3.42/5 (45 Reviews)

Trek Radar

Submitted by Uncle859 a Weekend Warrior from Pewee Valley, KY USA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2011

Strengths:    I have used this unit for a long time and found it to be very good. Switching from modes is pretty good and the route within a route is advantageous.

Weaknesses:    Set up is a pain.

Bottom Line:
Good unit but I believe that it is no longer available. If this is true, too bad because it is a versitile unit for those who want to maintain records of their rides.

Favorite Trail:   Road

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport

Bike Setup:   Trek 1400

Submitted by Ernst a Weekend Warrior from DesPlaines, IL

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2010

Strengths:    Large easy to read display, temperature indicator

Weaknesses:    Buttons failed

Bottom Line:
Found this older unit in my bag of junk bike stuff. Then had an idea of something to try and get the buttons working. I removed the battery and filled the computer with WD40, then aggitated it. I let the computer soak overnight, then drained it by drilling a 1/16" hole in the lower left corner/edge. Some WD remained, but seems to be evaporating. Plug the drilled hole with a dab of RTV Silicone. It works!

Favorite Trail:   Busse Woods

Purchased At:   Village Cycle

Bike Setup:   1987 Fuji Allegro

Submitted by Mark Weber a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2010

Strengths:    On it's third time around-about 26,000 miles and have never had a problem since 1993.

Weaknesses:    none, I've found

Bottom Line:
Like the Energizer Bunny-it still keeps on going-buying a new bike now-so it is going on it's third bike. It has logged 26,000 miles and I have only changed the battery. I guess it's weakness is that it doesn't have all tire sizes anymore-my 700-32C is not listed, so I guess. It's simple, accurate, and inexpensive.

Favorite Trail:   Bosque Trail

Purchased At:   Can't remember

Bike Setup:   Hybrid Trek since about 1995

Submitted by MarkGBell a Cross Country Rider from Salina, Kansas

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2008

Strengths:    Great in every way.

Weaknesses:    The contacts go bad after 8-10 seasons and the functions become inaccessible

Bottom Line:
I wish they still made it!

Favorite Trail:   Katy

Purchased At:   Bike Tek

Similar Products Used:   Several

Bike Setup:   Tandem, road, city - all with Radars until they stopped working in average of 7-8 years.

Submitted by TC Patton a Cross Country Rider from Gainesville, Ga

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2003

Strengths:    Temp

Weaknesses:    All other functions

Bottom Line:
The GM of bikes has failed with this product and should refund cash to all who request it with product in hand or proof that is once was on your bike...because I took a big @#$ hammer to mine...what stress relief! It always cutoff and you would need to reset, reset and reset. Thats uncool!

Favorite Trail:   Helen, Ga

Purchased At:   BikeTown USA

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CADD3 Frame, Syncros post & Wheel Set, Cooks Cranks, KORE stem with carbon bar, XT/XTR comp, Gore cables...yes it's old school for those of you wet behind the ears!

Submitted by Kenny Lawyer a Weekend Warrior from Terre Haute, Indiana-USA

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2002

Strengths:    An excellent graphic design and looks with neat style I admire the most about Trek. Well detachalbe for security purpose. Cool features implemented that all be relaible and used on daily basis especially thermometer!

Weaknesses:    One of my plastic strappers or braces that holds a sensor was broken. Not so durable but hey, not a major problem concerned. I see why we have wireless Radar Cycling Computers now. (Big Deal)

Bottom Line:
Part # 54076 of Trek Radar Cycling Computer(Titanium)was the model I first purchased but had to exchange in a different color, black. I had lost it and would like to locate another same model. I don't like today's Trek Computers as if ya have brought at K-Mart! I don't care if it's 2003 comin', I still love what I had back in '96-'97. I am 100% satisfied with that version. It's typical for serious bikers like myself to keep up their physical status from their radar. I think it's display is very visible. It would be cool to have a backlight. There are few things that would be nicer to simply adjusted or added a little.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Gilles Cycling & Fitness

Similar Products Used:   This is my first one.

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500

Submitted by Craig a Weekend Warrior from Saint Cloud, Florida

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2002

Strengths:    Great Display, I enjoy knowing how hot is it while I am sweating my A.., Err, butt off!

Weaknesses:    Buttons started Sticking when I got some mud on the computer. Weak Wires, Used 2 sets in 3 years.

Bottom Line:
I never had a problem with this computer quiting on me at any time (Untill the battery Died after 3 years), I enjoy all the functions this little computer has to offer (Wish it had Cadence), and I like seeing how hot it really is while I am riding. I found this little computer to be very Reliable. I would purchase another one.

Favorite Trail:   Santos Trail - Belleview, Florida.

Purchased At:   BIkes USA - Orlando, Fl.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Astraile , Cateye Enduro 2

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar with XT/XTR components. Rock Shox Judy SL.

Submitted by Trent a Racer from London, Ontario

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2001

Strengths:    Temperature function is neat, The info setup is pretty well done, easy to operate

Weaknesses:    Too many functions that are not needed (stick with seven its all u need), cord is junk, not made for a DH nut!!

Bottom Line:
not bad! but TREK is not that good at making Comps!
Try Cateye computers, or even cordless!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Moab

Purchased At:   To wheels

Bike Setup:   High end TREK Y-11 OCLV Carbon FS, XT loaded, RACEFACE, AXIOM components

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, CA USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2000

Strengths:    The workout window is a cool design. Reliable and accurate. Battery has lasted for over three years.

Weaknesses:    I three years, I have found no real weaknesses. Nit-picky: displays in .5 mile per hour incriments, not .1. Registers above 3 mph, not low enough for super steep hills or the occassion walk (that what my friends have said).

Bottom Line:
After reading all of the negative reviews, I had to throw in my positive comments about this computer. It has worked flawlessly for three straight years in all types of riding conditions. The workout window is a nice feature: a rider will recieve specific information about a single ride without losing all of their previous data. I highly recommend this product.

Bike Setup:   GT XCR-1000

Submitted by Mark Hinman a Weekend Warrior from Columbia, MD

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Strengths:    Great display

Weaknesses:    Lockup

Bottom Line:
I have been using my Radar (Actual the Gary Fisher version) for 3 Years. I do get the occasional lockup too. At first when this happened I would hit the reset button on the back with a pen, and then go through and set the wheel size and time again (what a pain). But then I figured out how to fix it. Hold the botton button for 4 sec to bring up the wheel size selection. then hit the right button to select the current wheel size (BTW you can do this while riding). I am a programmer and my guess is that the wheel size is somehow getting set to zero, because it seems to respond to the wheel sensor (i.e. it will wakeup if it has gone to sleep) but it will not calculate speed etc. because the wheel is zero mm in circumfrence. I find the lockup to be anoying but the fix is easy. But compared to other computers this one has the best layout and display that I have ever seen. I have submerged this computer in a creek, ridden in temperature so low that the thermometer goes out of range (12 degrees or so) and it has clocked more than 8000 miles, and it is still going strong. 5 Chillies, minus 1 for the lockup.

Submitted by Mark Vieselmeyer a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2000

Strengths:    Dual wheel settings, temp, workout window.

Weaknesses:    Unreliable. Either that, or I really was going 177 mph today. Aside from the erratic display, buttons can jam if grit gets on it.

Bottom Line:
Mine's dead too. Tried a new battery, adjusted the contacts, nothing works.

Similar Products Used:   vetta

Submitted by Trey Lillich a Cross Country Rider from Houston, Texas, Harris

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2000

Strengths:    Ok, this is my third entry on this product. I am not happy. I was riding in the MS150 last weekend and the thing just stopped working for no reason after I changed a flat. I did everything I could think of to make it work and nada. I love the thing when it works because I can change it back and forth between bikes. I like the temp gauge in it too and the workoout window is a great feature. My big problem is that on ever long ride I have been on it stops working at some point. As soon as I finished the ride it started working agian.

Weaknesses:    It is not reliable

Bottom Line:
If you like a product that will do alot and work sometimes, buy one. If you want something reliable, don't. Also, I paid fifty simolies for this thing and I don't feel I have got my money out of it.

Similar Products Used:   cateye

Submitted by Papa U a Weekend Warrior from Ekaterinburg, Russia

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2000

Strengths:    Big screen

Weaknesses:    Unable to change wheel circumference without entering to initial setup mode

Bottom Line:
I just completed my 1st trip with my new Radar.
Looks fine, works nice. I'm glad.
While installing, I almost got my fingers broken...
To secure the magnet on the spoke securely, I used
the small piese of thin cotton thread wrapped around
the screw (that screw is too short and no washer).

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Frontier

Submitted by Vojky a Cross-Country Rider from NYC

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1999

Strengths:
The Workout Window, 3 line display, Temp

Weaknesses:
Mounting to holder.

Bottom Line:
I LOVE this computer! The workout window is the best thing ever. I'm one my third one now (the first was stolen, the second vibrated lose and was lost). The wiring may be a little on the flimsy side but you can get a new mount/sensor unit for about $5 and they have a wireless one now. I even ran it throught the washer with my pants once. I stopped working so I just opened the battery compartment and left it on the radiator to dry out for 2 days....Violla!!Never had a problem with the sensor or missed readings. I do use the magnet taht came with my HMR though and that seems to work at a greater range taht the std. magnet.

Porcupine

2 Years

Z1, Helix Pro

Submitted by BAZZA a Weekend Warrior from Bellevue, WA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 1999

Strengths:
Best combination of functions out there.
3 line display instead of usual 2 line

Weaknesses:
Flimsy wiring connections, not repairable

Bottom Line:
The computer itself has been fine, even thru freezing temps and over 120 degrees in the car. I'm on my 3rd wire / mount assembly - about $17 to replace each time the wire breaks or pulls out. Hey TREK ... you Need more beef in the wiring.

Rt 66

1 Year

Cateye
Astrala
Other Trek models

Recumbents with Trek's Rear wheel (long wire) wire option

Using Radar Detector on the trail?

I just wonder whether using radar detector while riding is an effective way against ranger's radar gun. One of the most powerful radar detector is Valentine V1 and it has a power consumption of about 3-5 Watts. (idling current is 225mA at ~12Volts) and we can easily power this thing with a batte ... Read More »

Ranger with Radar Gun at Fremont Older

Fremont Older is my home turf and I have never seen ranger with radar gun here before. However, this afternoon at the intersection between Coyote Ridge Trail and the Bay View Trail there was a ranger with a radar gun at the bottom of that fire road. People typically go at least 18-20MPH going down t ... Read More »

Oakley Radar XL Anti-Freeze w/Jade Iridium and Oakley Radar XL Retina Burn

Anyone got one or both of the mentioned for sale? Trade? I got other Radar XL´s, Radarlock XL, M-Frame and some vintage Racing Jacket up for trade.Read More »

Ranger's with radar at St. Joes 3/5 11am

Just a heads up and looks like they might be there for a bit. Looked like they were training a future ahole. Would've nabbed me had they not both been dicking around on iPhones. Newbie fumbled for his gun but by the time he zero'd in, I was at coasting at bird watching speed. fyi...Read More »

Bike Radar visits AX Lightness

[url=http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/ax-lightness-factory-visit-39450/]AX Lightness factory visit - BikeRadar[/url] with a bunch of photosRead More »