Trek RADAR Wireless Computer

2.4/5 (15 Reviews)

Trek RADAR Wireless

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2004

Strengths:    Don't know, it's never worked!

Weaknesses:    Lockup

Bottom Line:
This POS has never worked from day 1! I've replaced both batteries several times, but it continues to LOCK UP shortly into any ride, or even when sitting around not being used. I've never had it NOT lock up on any ride, no matter how short the distance. The only way I've found to unlock, it to remove the batteries and go through the setup process again, therefore losing any total mileage information. Not that there would have been any anyways since it always LOCKS UP! A major disappointment, especially considering the rather expensive $$.

Favorite Trail:   Berryman

Similar Products Used:   Performance Axiom Wireless

Bike Setup:   99 Stumpy converted to SS

Submitted by Skippy Dunbar a Cross Country Rider from Lansing, MI, US of A

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2003

Strengths:    It wireless..? Thats about it... It came with my new bike

Weaknesses:    It lock's up after a few miles. And the only way to reset it is to remove the battery. AND YES, I DID REPLACE THE BATTERIES...!

Bottom Line:
THIS COMPUTER SUCKS. TAKE MY ADVICE AND DONT BUY IT.. It locked up on the first ride. I though it was just the cheap no brand batteries from china, so I replaced them. On the next ride it locked up again. And continues to lock up. The only way to reset this thing is to remove the battery... So I lost all my miles..! I couldnt check how far I had gone because the computer was locked up... Now, I have no idea how many miles I have on my new bike, maybee around 200... In general, the quality of all Trek product's (Trek, Klien, Fisher, Bontrager) has gone way down lately. I also own a pre-Trek Klien, and a Post-Trek Klien. The pre-Trek bike is vastly superior to the post-Trek bike. I am going to replace all of the Bontrager crap on my Bullit over the winter, and sell it to some sucker on ebay.. Stay away from anything Trek...

Favorite Trail:   The one your not on..!

Purchased At:   Richards bikes

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Enduro2, old Trek micro, Specialized...

Bike Setup:   03 Bullit with XT and Bontrager stuff

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2003

Strengths:    Temperature - nobody else has temperature
Easy to install
Easy to read

Weaknesses:    Temperature gage is unreliable in the sun - worse than the old wired Radar

Bottom Line:
Knowing how hot it was has saved my $#! in Moab and Fruita on several occasions, as we were riding epic rides and starting to run short of water. Knowing the temperature made me turn back a couple times, and proceed a couple times. I hated to turn back, but its better than the alternative. I don't know why more computer makers don't put temp into the computers - its fairly cheap to do.

The new wireless Radar isn't as good as the old wired one that I had for three years - its harder to read, navigate, and in the sun the temperature is about 10 degrees higher than the old computer (I did a side by side test on a 95 degree day). It also does freeze up too often. For those that have had trouble with the new Radars, don't dispair, they are redesigning the Radar an it will be out this fall. I sure hope it is dependable this time around, or I will have to go back to a !@##$@! Cateyes!

Also, the Radar has features you don't need on a computer, like the ability to move it between two bikes. What a waste! And the readout is much more confusing on the new Radar compared to the old Radar. Keep it simple and cheap...

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list here. It's great to live in Colorado!

Purchased At:   Wheat Ridge Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Old Radar wired computer

Bike Setup:   S-Works hardtail

Submitted by Solid Snake a Downhiller from Saline, Michigan

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2003

Strengths:    The temperature function is cool; It even registers the wind chill periodically. The backlight looks nice in and of itself, and the display set-up is nice.

Weaknesses:    After less than two weeks I am very disappointed in this product. First and foremost, when you're riding at night and you hit the backlight button, the light comes on for 5 seconds, but during the time, the computer is not taking readings. Each time you hit it, the current speed holds steady for several seconds, then resets to zero, whatever your speed. This also screwed up my trip distances, reading 9.5 miles on a trip I know for a fact is at least 10 miles, only because I used the backlight during the ride. So it seems there's a design flaw with the backlight function. Also, the manual claims that it's waterproof, but it's not. I went for a rainy ride FIVE days after purchase, and it hasn't been the same since. Now, the backlight doesn't even come on, and hitting its button shuts off the entire display, which comes on after a few seconds if you're traveling. Another thing I don't like is that its display is only precise to the tenth of a mile. Computers I've had before display distances in hundredths of a mile.

Bottom Line:
All of the standard functions plus the light and the temp functions are why I bought this product. I wanted to upgrade my computer without droppin' 400 bones on a ciclosport. However, it has turned out to be functionally deficient in several ways, and so my review is a warning to stay away from this product. Trek needs to send this one back to the drawing board.

Favorite Trail:   Potowatomi

Purchased At:   Two Wheel Tango

Similar Products Used:   Specialized's SpeedZone Comp and the Pyramid Pro.

Bike Setup:   stock Raleigh M40

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2002

Strengths:    very good & functional design; fantastic features e.g. training window, temperature indicator

Weaknesses:    started to become unreliable after 1 year; starting to late; stops during ride; complete failure after 2,5 years

Bottom Line:
its a shame that such a well designed computer becomes so unreliable after 1 year!

Purchased At:   bycicle dealer

Similar Products Used:   cicle computer from ciclosport for 9 years (big but 100% reliable; long battery life)

Bike Setup:   ATB bike and racing bike

Submitted by Jafah Jahromi a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham, England

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2002

Strengths:    Generates power for you cell phone & other devices while you cycle. Looks great, well designed handle bar mounted universal phone holder, charger unit neat, light & removable.

Weaknesses:    Not widely available on the high street yet, but I suspect this will change. Dynamo driven, works well with my own hub type dynamo.

Bottom Line:
Wonderful idea really & I ask myself why wasn't this thought of before now. Great eco-friendly product & lets face it, we all have cell phones now days. I cycle to work daily & always plug in my phone to top-up the battery. I feel I'm getting something for nothing, probably saving a few pennies per year also. I have recommended this many time to people & they all tell me afterwards, they love it. It is possible to re-charge almost any other low powered device as long as you can get a car-cigar charger lead to suit the device you want to charge.

Purchased At:   www.ikonglobal.com

Similar Products Used:   None, this is a first

Bike Setup:   Very simple.

Submitted by Scratch a Cross Country Rider from Aruba

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2000

Strengths:    Easy setup, large display, no wires!

Weaknesses:    No auto start!

Bottom Line:
Like I said, it's easy to setup and the read-out is good unders almost all conditions (you'll need a torch at night), but if you don't get the battery placed in just right you'll be setting the thing up after every little jump you take (took me a day to figure that one out). All in all: good computer definitely worth getting!

Favorite Trail:   All around the island

Purchased At:   Tri-Bike Aruba

Similar Products Used:   Cat-eye

Bike Setup:   hmmmmmmm

Submitted by adrian a Cross Country Rider from laramie,wy,usa

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2000

Strengths:    Easy to read, easy to mount.

Weaknesses:    Came off more than once in endos,18 bucks to replace holder,once dropped the computer and now sometime works and sometims doesn't, loses all info and is pain to to keep pushing the button to start it again....

Bottom Line:
Good for free but buy something else.

Similar Products Used:   Gary fisher Axiom- wire always broke on 3 rides, relpace 4 times and then threatened Trek for money back and they sent wireless to me so I woudn't buy Nashbar wireless.

Submitted by Jan Paeschuyzen a Cross Country Rider from Antwerp Belgium

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2000

Strengths:    It works well!
I like it verry much. The display is easy to read.

Weaknesses:    No auto-on stuff...

Bottom Line:
realy works, I LIKE IT!
I like the buttons, the work well, and even in bad weather i can read it! so realy, good stuff! I would realy recomand it to everybody.

Favorite Trail:   forest ground

cat-eye Mity 2

Bike Setup:   Hard tail Mongoose. 1997. zero-g

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Benicia

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2000

Strengths:    I like the temp and time always on. The obvious: No wire to break.

Weaknesses:    Damn thing won't auto-start! I have to remember everytime I've stopped for more than a couple of minutes. The problem may not be as bad for not aflicted with C.R.S. (can't remember shit). Who ever is building these thing better get with the program and make these auto-start!

Bottom Line:
This is the only item on my bike I both hate and love. Does everything it's supposed to, it just won't start when I start, unless I happen to remember to push the #@*&%@# button!

Favorite Trail:   Changes with my mood.

Similar Products Used:   Wired ones only.

Bike Setup:   blah blah blah

Submitted by Jake a Cross-Country Rider from Milwaukee

Date Reviewed: September 16, 1999

Strengths:
Everyething except it dosent work

Weaknesses:
Battery prongs, goes out, piece of crap

Bottom Line:
WHAT A POS! It worked fine for a month and the prongs go out. It fell off the mount, I replaced the battery and the POS didnt work! Don't but it, the cateye is way way better

Cateye Wireless 2? Trek Radar

1998 Trek Y11 Front Shox: Judy XC
Rear Shox: Fox Vanilla
Shimano XT Derailures

Submitted by STEVE a Cross-Country Rider from CINTI

Date Reviewed: August 24, 1999

Strengths:
4 ITEM DISPLAY, TEMP,CLOCK, WIRELESS

Weaknesses:
SITS TOO HIGH ON HANDLEBAR,NO BACKLIGHT

Bottom Line:
THIS COMPUTER IS ALMOST PERFECT. IT NEEDS AN OFFSET MOUNT, BACKLIGHT, LOW PROFILE DESIGN. i LOVE THE WORKOUT WINDOW AND TEMP AND TIME DISPLAYED AT ALL TIMES.

WIRED VETTA & SPECIALIZED

HARDTAIL

Submitted by cullan a Cross-Country Rider from anchorage ak

Date Reviewed: August 22, 1999

Strengths:
temp is it

Weaknesses:
everything else won't start
bad wireless design phases out
temp is eratic
speed won't start right away

Bottom Line:
It sucks really bad and it doesn't do what the manual and box says it does
manual is vague on sensor placement. When mine broke the shop gave me the gary fisher one and it still didn't work right I like trek but they need to work the bugs out.

less than 1 month

cateye enduro
gary fisher wireless same thing it still sucks

trek 7000 stock w\ race lite barends

Submitted by Air-Knight a Cross-Country Rider from Buffalo, NY

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1999

Strengths:
No messy wiring.
Workout window.
Thermometer feature.

Weaknesses:
Too DAMN big!
No auto-on.

Bottom Line:
I knew I'm gonna get this super computer when I first saw it. And I got it from Bert's for $60. I didnt know it was so huge 'till I actually install it on my bike. The size made me worried 'bout the computer falling off my bike first, but now I think it's okay. Another draw-back of the wireless is that the computer wont start itself when I start riding. I have to push a button to start it, little inconvinence. But other than that, it's a great accessory if your budget allows it. If you are short on cash, a trek sensor is a much better choice. Trek Sensor offer some very close function (except the thermometer, workout window, and speed increment by 0.5mi) at a much much lower price.

less than 1 month

Cheap-ass computer from K-mart.
Trek Sensor.

Gary Fisher Kaitai '99 factory setup.

Submitted by Jason a Racer from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: June 18, 1999

Strengths:
Wireless
Workout window
Looks
Temperature

Weaknesses:
Magnet mounting

Bottom Line:
Well my friend with a y-3 got the wire one so i got this one.All my other computers were ripped at the wire so i went wireless. IN my 4th race of the season the magnet came loose and was bumped out of position so i couldn't record. But the temp helps alot and the only other possible thing you could want is an altimeter but those cost 90 bucks.

Cheapo from target