Topeak Panoram Computer

3.77/5 (48 Reviews)

Panoram 17 Function Cycle Computer A radical new concept in computer design. Superwide screen displays all of your cycling information at once. Right side displays all speed information. Center section is for time functions. And the left displays distance and maintenance information.

Submitted by timefleas a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2012

Strengths:    Oner of the largest displays for easy readability at any time--with enough space for several different readings such distance covered, current speed, current time, etc., and easy to scroll through on the fly for other info as needed (maximum speed, for example). Easy to set for two different bikes. Easy to install, and no to the people below who suggested the mounts were not good, that the settings changed everytime the touched it, and so forth--my advice, learn how to use it first, and then make a review. Batteries last about a year or more, without using back-light (how many of you actually use back-lighting, 1 out of 10, 1 out of a 100?--a non-issue, I think). Easy to remove from one bike to another, but I like them so much I have one on each bike (and I have five...). The price is (or rather was) right as well. Unfortunately, recent incarnations have grown smaller, and while more compact, either has smaller displays (harder to read) or requires more scrolling--and who wants to be doing that all the time while riding? If you can find one, don't buy it--I am looking to grab all that I can find!

Weaknesses:    There are two basic weaknesses. First, do not leave the screen exposed to direct sunlight for any length of time. This doesn't mean you can't use it outdoors--simply, use it at an angle slightly inverted (to match your line of sight, of course), which will take it out of a direct line to the sun. Exposed to direct sunlight for an extended period of time will ruin the screen, it will cause it to "oil" up, looking like a an oil slick on the surface LED display. Second, don't drop it onto hard surfaces. The molded plastic case is unusually brittle, and unforgiving, so the case can easily crack--since the display is pressure sensitive, the crack will leave it inoperable--rubber bands and/or epoxy will only serve as temporary solutions. ANy of the others problems noted below by others are more due to owner issues, rather than problems with the actual computer--learn how to mount it right, learn how to use it, and it will serve you well--I have used more than half a dozen for the last several years, and while I have sued others, such as Cateye, none come close to the accuracy, legibility, ease of use, and overall quality as this now retired product. Bring it back!

Bottom Line:
If you can get your hands on one, or two, or three--grab it or them without reserve, there is nothing better on the market at any price, as long as you don't need what it doesn't have, which is GPS capability, heart rate monitoring and other related complications. Well tried, well tested, and well loved.

Favorite Trail:   any free riding riverside trail in my area

Purchased At:   the bay

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, and many others.

Bike Setup:   Trek 400 STP, Scott Scale Team LTD, Giant MCM Team LTD, Giant LCM Composite, Giant Cadex (old school)--all carbon frames, all Sram changers, various carbon cranks, stems, posts, bars, etc.

Submitted by mklasi a Weekend Warrior from Rapid City, SD, USA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2011

Strengths:    I have used the PANORAM for about 8 years. My battery died last week and now I have to reset the tire size. I cannot find the instruction sheet so can anyone give me a clue on resetting the PANORAM?

Weaknesses:    You lose everything when the battery dies.

Bottom Line:
In my view this is a good product. It has been through one minor bike accident and suffered a scrape to one edge which did not affect its operation or the mount.

Favorite Trail:   Mickelson Trail, SD

Purchased At:   Wal Mart

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Frontier

Submitted by Scoop a Weekend Warrior from Houston Texas

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2010

Strengths:    Big display, backlight, clock - it does what its supposed to do!

Weaknesses:    short battery life with backlight on, instruction are a little tough for "newbies" to understand....

Bottom Line:
This thing works great for the price, I'm hard on equipment and use things to the extreme, mine has seen, mud / water / heat / cold / sand / gravel / dirt... no problem! I've crashed so hard that it knocked it off the bars and into the woods - found it, brushed off the dirt and attached back on for another day! AWESOME! I've had 6 of these and all 6 have performed flawless!

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   iPhone

Bike Setup:   (3) Specialized Stumpjumper Expert / Bighit / Rockhopper

Submitted by HauntedMyst a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL USA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2008

Strengths:    Big screen, backlit, lots of info displayed, main button easy to access.

Weaknesses:    Bad battery time, a poor mount, odometer doesn't work, programming not intuitive.

Bottom Line:
What seems like a great computer in theory is a turd in day to day use, thank goodness it's been discontinued. For starters, the mount is great in theory, but sucks in day to day use. A simple push of any button flexs the mount. Also, the mount has no stem attachment option, just handlebar. The battery doesn't last long if you use the backlight option. I ride a lot at night and so I burn through batteries. Typical Topeak quality - not up to par with my expectations. The odometer function on the bike doesn't work on mine so I have to estimate my annual mileage.

Similar Products Used:   other bike computers

Bike Setup:   City MTB bike, a touring bike

Submitted by philip hazouri from englewood, colorado

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2007

Strengths:    large read out

Weaknesses:    never has worked properly and accurately

Bottom Line:
Have had it professionally adjusted on 4 different occasions without success. It's still on my bike, not working.

Favorite Trail:   North Platte

Purchased At:   Kelvin in Woodland Park, co

Similar Products Used:   Cat Eye

Bike Setup:   Recumbent

Submitted by Maria Mikulich a Downhiller from Marion, Michigan USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2007

Strengths:    I liked the size of the screen. The numbers were easy to read and I liked the easy to reach mode button.

Weaknesses:    The instructions are terrible. After unfolding the poster-size one sheet of instructions I eagerly looked for written instructions. Not much in that department, mostly pictures of screens. I could not figure out how to input wheel size so I recruited my husband who has always been able to figure these things out for me and he gave up. After 15 minutes each we both gave up. I have already packaged up the unit and am sending it back tomorrow. I am sure the computer works great but the set-up was frustrating.

Bottom Line:
They really need to update the instructions and make them user friendly.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Ascent V-12

Bike Setup:   Terry Symmetry

Submitted by peter a Cross Country Rider from hiroshima

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2007

Strengths:    Big screen, nice pleasing design, easy set up mechanically, wireless, though the computer programming is a bit tedious.

Weaknesses:    There are a couple of BIG problems. One, the screen reacts adversely to exposure to direct sunlight. In fact, such exposure will eventually result in the entire screen turning into what looks like an oil slick under glass, where all readings are impossible to see. So, obviously, don't leave your bike parked outside in the direct sun with the computer attached--however, there is nothing you can do about the sun exposure on a half century ride in the open country--this is a MAJOR problem. The other is that the glue that adheres the base piece (black) to the top shell (silver) easily looses its adherence, and if this happens, the digits on the display lose parts of their characters, making it impossible to read. This happens if they are dropped, or are knocked against something hard. Once this happens, they are dead in the water. Other problems are noted elsewhere in these reviews, such as fixed screen settings, usually not what you want, difficulty in swtiching from one bike tire setting to another with almost impossible to see tiny number designations separating one from the other, and a few other things.

Bottom Line:
At first I loved these computers--so much so that I bought one for all four bikes (five actually as I have another carbon bike, an older but beautiful Giant Cadex that I use for the Portland Pedal during my summer visits to the NW), and replaced these as I went through the problems described below. I have had the sunlight problems with all of them, and one or two never fully recovered. I have had the loose case problem with two, meaning I had to throw them away. One other turns on, shows the display, but won't pick up the wheel revolutions, even though all others do in the same set up. Overall, I have gone through about 7 or 8 of them--pretty pricey even from eBay. I am going back to the cheap and reliable Cateyes (that is what led me back to these reviews). I strongly suggest you look elsewhere for your bike computers.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, Specialized, a few others

Bike Setup:   4 bikes: 3 carbon, 1 alum; STP 400, Giant MCM Team, Giant MCM Limited and Trek 8000 Superlight, 2 with disc, 2 with canti--all very light (the Team is a very quick and nasty 17.5 pounds!). All personally built from ground up.

Submitted by Joe from So. Cal

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2007

Strengths:    Wide view Display & wireless

Weaknesses:    Handle bar mount

Bottom Line:
The set-up went just fine connecting to the fork sensor no problem the first time.....I was able to imput the proper wheel dimensions / Mph & time no problem......I run the 31.8 mm bar & the mount would not fit around the fat part of the bar (The supplied bolt is too F*****g short).....I ran to the hardware store & bought a longer size 3 metric bolt & got the mount to fit just perfecto......It look greats & the mount feels somewhat solid sitting directly over the stem.....I agree w/ the reviews so far....The mount should have been revised a long time ago......Over all I give it a Good rating

Purchased At:   Jenson

Bike Setup:   who wants to know?

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Everett

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2006

Strengths:    Since I couldn't get it to work I'd have to say none.

Weaknesses:    This review is for the 'V12' version, not the unit pictured here. First off the unit packaging hides a lot. 2nd the two mounts it comes with don't fit on my mountain bike, or my road bike. 3rd whoever came up with what can be displayed on the screen at one time has never used a bicycle computer before.

Bottom Line:
Again this is for the V12 unit, not the other Topeak Panoram shown here.

First I'll go into the mount, as mentioned above it doesn't fit my mountain or road bikes, I've got standard handlebars. The computer itself is very slim profiled and the packaging it came in accented this, what the packaging hid was the wireless receiver that is thicker than the computer and make mounting even more difficult. The mount is one of those sticks out and screws into a single bolt from the side deals. There is a ratchet pattern on at one joint, but not the floating pivot joint so I certain that even if it could go on your bike, it wouldn't stay put.

Now onto the computer itself. With this HUGE screen you'd think that you can see all sorts of things, nope that's not the case. Screen 1, current speed, current distance and 'time of day', not ride time, that's right 'time of day'. Screen 2, average ride speed, current distance, total ride time for wheels spinning or wheels still. Screen 3, Max speed, odometer, ride time for wheels spinning. When I bought this I wanted to see current speed current distance and ride time for wheels spinning without pressing buttons. I know that there are a lot of perferences for what people want to see, but come on. These screens are static and cannot be modified to show other data. What a waste of money.

Again this is for the V12 unit, not the other Topeak Panoram shown here.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Enduro 2 (the grand master to compair all computers to), Cateye cordless 7 (so-so, doesn't work very well on a road bike, would probably be better on a mountain due to fork mounting issues) Supergo Wireless (price was cheap, unfortunately mfg quality and performance followed suit)

Bike Setup:   Old school GT steel hardtail LX (never say die) 8-speed components (these things have outlasted every mtn 9-speed thing I've ever used, in some cases 2X or more lifespan, and they hardly ever need tweaking or adjustment)

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn, New York, USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2006

Strengths:    Tons of Info...easy to read....and VERY easy to install.

Bottom Line:
I originally borrowed my dad's bike to see if riding was something that I really wanted to do. I bought a Bell cyclocomputer and it was a piece of crap....it didnt really give enough info and the overall quality was really bad. So I followed some reviews about this item...and boy am I glad I did!!!! This thing puts exactly the information that matters to me right there in front of you...without having to press any buttons. I will admit, setting the thing up is a bit confusing, but once you get it the first time...its a cake walk after that. Also, people complained about the mounting bracket being cheap---what did you expect??? a welding kit??? I mounted it using the supplied hardware and also added a very thick rubber band as a shim to avoid any rotation on the handle bars. My father in law took a header over the handlebars (and blamed it on my brakes being "too good") and the thing didnt even get a scratch. Also, some people complained about the screen scratching easily, so I left the protective plastic film on the screen and have not yet encountered that problem....BOTTOM LINE---GET THIS COMP!!!

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Bell

Bike Setup:   It's my first bike so don't laugh at me----Raleigh Mojave with some after market stuff.

Submitted by Charles Hill a Racer from Grayson, Ga., USA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2005

Strengths:    accurate mph, clock, lots of info, very durable until recently

Weaknesses:    small clock display

Bottom Line:
Installed on my motorcycle to have more exact mph reading as most motorcycle speedos are patheticlly inaccurate. Also wanted additional tripmeters for calculating travel distances while motorcycle touring and a clock.
I've had trouble free service with mine for over two years 'till last week when it fried for no apparent reason. I've decided to buy another one from ebay ($37.00 with shipping) since I already have everything set up on the bike. Hope for at least two more years from the new one.

Favorite Trail:   AT

Purchased At:   on line

Bike Setup:   Triumph Daytona 1200

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Oxford, UK

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2005

Strengths:    Reasonably easy to use. Dual cycle capability is great.

Weaknesses:    Does not switch on automatically, should have come with two sensors.

Bottom Line:
Keep batteries in good charge,

Purchased At:   Arbitrary cycle shop

Similar Products Used:   Vetta VT12?

Bike Setup:   Simple.

Submitted by Dan Racine a Weekend Warrior from Estero FL

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2005

Strengths:    Auto On - OFF = Hands Free
Wireless

Weaknesses:    Strap on fork means this should be used for road bikes ( or you can adjust yourself as required if you actually buy for MTN bike)

No Cadence Count if you are looking for that feature.

Bottom Line:
VERY Convenient to read.

Auto ON/ OFF + Up /Down arrow to show more / less than average speed are Great Features.

FANTASTIC Product - Thanks TOPEAK.

Favorite Trail:   Local Road

Purchased At:    Gift

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   Takes a little patience ( < 1/2 HOUR) to install & adjust for the mechanically inclined. Conveniently centered on handle bars.

Submitted by GeeJay a Cross Country Rider from Bacliff, Texas

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2004

Strengths:    Good and solid. Lots of info. Very clear to read while riding.

Weaknesses:    It is not so easy to setup because instructions are pathetic.

Bottom Line:
The PANORAM computer from Topeak is a nice device. In my view, some of the features it provides are meant to satisfy curiousity. Once you have read them few times they become irrelevant. Speed, maximum speed, and other fewer pieces of information are the only ones you really want to know about every time you ride.

The installation was not easy. You will find the way just I did, but it is not "a piece of cake" as you may assume. Specially so if you have a mountain bike. The model I bought is wireless. The sensor attached to the fork is meant for road or race bikes. However, there is a way to make it work just fine if you can live with a black plastic strap attached to your fork.

The instructions were written by someone who barely speaks English, and whose intellect rides an elevator that does not make it to the top floor. You will have to make a lot of deciphering of your own. Very specially so on how to initially set up the computer, and how "thousands" of miles are entered once you have riden those many miles. The digits for "thousands of miles" are not easy to decipher on how milage is displayed.

Once you invested a good chunck of your life and some aggravation, you will have a very nice and reliable computer that works as it was meant to. I do not regret my purchase, but I was not expecting to confront a number of situations that did not make my life easy.

Purchased At:   BeyondBikes.com

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Colchester, Essex, UK

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2004

Strengths:    Lots of features. Durable. It's a gadget!

Weaknesses:    Usual bracket probs. Size.

Bottom Line:
I orginally got this for a Peter Lynn kite buggy. Wanted something to mount on a flat tube of the buggy so size was not a problem. The computer and sensor suffered several hundred miles of abuse, mainly beach related, without a problem, I even butchered the mount to fit flush. When I got back into cycling was uncertain about using the panoram but mounted it, despite half the mount missing! Being mounted at the bottom of the riser bars near the stem sort of protects it and it doesn't look so big. The functions are quite simple to use once you remember which combo of buttons to press for what.

In all a good product that has been punished in a situation it wasn't designed for and still works great in the situation it was!

Purchased At:   CoastGuard Kites